PDA

View Full Version : IS for lenses other than canon?

ktixx
12-15-2004, 08:45 PM
Are there any other companies out there that make lenses similar to canon with the Image Stabilization feature? And if so, what companies, and what is the feature called on the lens?
Ken

eagle17
12-16-2004, 05:04 AM
Nikon lenses have the VR series that is stabilized,

and Sigma has the new OS series of lenses that are stabilized.

I think canon still has the most lenses with IS enabled though..

D70FAN
12-16-2004, 05:13 AM
Are there any other companies out there that make lenses similar to canon with the Image Stabilization feature? And if so, what companies, and what is the feature called on the lens?
Ken

Nikon uses VR (Vibration Reduction) to denote IS, Canon uses IS (Image Stabilization) and Sigma uses OS (Optical Stabilization). So far I haven't seen an IS type lens from Tokina or Tamron, but they are probably working on it, and the same holds true for Olympus as they use a proprietary lens system. Minolta dSLR's use AS (Anti Shake) which is sensor based not lens based. Vivitar needs to be working on something, but I haven't seen anything new from them in the past few years.

That's what I've seen, but if you really search, maybe there's more.

As time goes on I'm sure we will see more IS type lenses availble, as more of us "shakey old dudes" hobble into the market. ;)

ktixx
12-17-2004, 01:38 AM
Thank you for all your Information. I will have to do more research on the various types of stabilization technology. But from what I can tell, Sigma only has one lense with their OS technology, therefore if I want a canon camera, I will have to go with a canon lense.