PDA

View Full Version : Most suitable lens for landscapes, architectures, and interiors...

Benjamin_T
05-20-2007, 03:50 AM
Ladies and gentleman;

Which lens will be the most suitable for landscapes, architectures, and interior works?

I have a passion for framing landscapes, architectures, and interiors, and I wish to obtain a lens that would do the job well; and the resulting images to have the potential to be used professionally and (or) to be displayed in the open.

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Benjamin.

AdamW
05-20-2007, 04:38 PM
I would think you want something with a very wide angle, but one with as little barrel distortion as possible. What kind of camera do you have? What's the budget for this?

AlexMonro
05-21-2007, 02:56 AM
For architecture, you might want to consider a Perspective Control lens, sometimes called a Shift lens. This allows you to correct the converging vertical lines problem which you sometimes see when having to point the camera upwards to cover the top of a building.

BLWNHR
05-21-2007, 05:26 AM
I work for an architectural firm and was about to post this very same question as they've asked me to photograph our previous jobs.

I'm using a K10D.

P.S. Sorry to hijak.

hokeyguy
05-21-2007, 07:30 PM
For architecture, you might want to consider a Perspective Control lens, sometimes called a Shift lens. This allows you to correct the converging vertical lines problem which you sometimes see when having to point the camera upwards to cover the top of a building.
I agree with this.
Peruse this link...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perspective_correction

I would think you want something with a very wide angle, but one with as little barrel distortion as possible.
I also agree with this.

debu_17
05-22-2007, 11:36 AM
u have not stated whether u have a digi SLR to which u want to attach the lens, or u want to add multiplier lenses
to a camera like s3/fz-50.

for the very wide applications u want to meet , for a SLR
a lens with 24-105 (35 mm equ) may meet with req.
( as the landscapes some times require to shoot a some what tight angle) ,
this is my feeling.

a budget may also help in suggesting , as a lens with
functions like prespective control ( as already suggested)
is quite costly.

the required lens u choose must have minimum barrel distortion and pin cushion distort. this u can check using
SQF data abt the lens.

bettr use 2 lenses, one wide and one medium zoom .

speaklightly
06-02-2007, 04:05 PM
You might want to take a look at the Sigma 10-20mm, it is available in a Pentax mount and it has received excellent reviews. I am using a Nikkor 12-24mm lens on my Nikon D-50 with very nice results.

Sarah

SpecialK
06-09-2007, 08:48 PM
Pentax makes the 12-24 which is pretty nice and has good reviews. Tokina makes it in other mounts. I have not noticed any distortion with it, but I am used to the 10-17 fisheye :-) Many PP programs can handle barrel disortion, including the free Photo Laboratory (for RAW only) that comes with the Pentax cameras.

coldrain
06-10-2007, 08:27 AM
You should have chosen a Canon DSLR after all. The Canon 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 is very distortionless at 10mm. And Canon has the above mentioned shift lenses.
Or even an Olympus for their ultra wide angle zoom lens.

For your Pentax you will have to choose between the Pentax 12-24mm f4 and the Sigma 10-20mm.

fionndruinne
06-10-2007, 09:43 PM
Gotta love coldrain.