PDA

View Full Version : Raynox Dcr-2020pro

Guns90
05-18-2007, 08:12 AM
I'm confused. (This is something that seems to happen more frequently as I age.) I purchased the 2020PRO before I found this site. I've read in here that a couple of members claim that the 2020PRO is incompatible with the S3. Frankly, I don't understand what they mean when they say incompatible. I don't think the 2020PRO is of the highest quality of other lens' I owned for my 35mm SLR, but just exactly what does the term incompatibility refer to when using the 2020PRO with the S3?

Here are some shots I took this morning. (They're not the best, but it's raining outside and I didn't want to take the camera out into it so I opened the window and took the shots from there.) All shots were taken at 12X, first without the teleconverter, then with. I used the The Gimp to resize them, but no cropping or anything else was done to them. (Also, please don't make fun of my wife's garden accouterments. I know she's a little weird, but I love her.)

Guns90
05-18-2007, 12:50 PM
I did a little more fooling around with the DCR-2020PRO. I wanted to see how good of a shot I could get at 48X (The specs on it say that it is designed only for use between focal lengths F=41mm-F=72mm. The specs on the S3 IS are F=6mm-F=432mm (including 4X digital zoom)). Using the auto focus at 48X sucked; however, if you use the Focus Bracketing Mode (I set mine to max range) and focus on your subject manually, you can get a shot good enough to show someone. It's by no means a great photo (not even a good one), but it maybe could come in handy for something. Just FYI.

jonalta
05-19-2007, 03:51 AM
I also own a DCR-2020PRO. But after a few weeks I also purchased the Canon TC.
I think what most people refer to as "incompatibility" is that the DCR-2020 doesnt produce the optimal quality with the S3 (as compared for example to the Canon TC-58B).
Personally, I love the zoom power of the 2020PRO but I dont like wide blurred area (with only a small central focus) at full zoom. But I find this effect useful only with some few situations. I get good quality when taking videos though. Also, I notice a great deal of fringing between high contrast areas. Notice your zoomed white cat with the purple-greenish fringe along the edges of the cat. This is much worst when taking say a pict of the moon at full zoom.
However, the quality of the Canon TC gives sharp focus of the whole frame at full zoom (although only at 1.5x). I am still keeping my DCR-2020PRO for shots that I need to be closer but mostly only for videos (like concerts and stadium games). For still shots, I use the canon TC.. then I can crop later.

Guns90
05-19-2007, 06:01 AM
Good Morning jonalta. I took some moon shots also at the beginning of the month and experienced the same green-ish halo. I wish I would have found this forum before I purchased the DCR-2020PRO. I'm sure I would have gone with the higher quality TC-58B. I doubt I'll purchase one now though. I bought the S3 because I thought it was a great camera to learn digital photography. I know I'll buy a DSLR later. The S3 with the DCR-2020PRO will allow me to learn the ins and outs of digital then later, when I get the DSLR, become one of the best 'snapshot' cameras I've ever owned. I can't complain about the zoom capability in the video mode either. It really is quite good.

XaiLo
05-19-2007, 06:38 AM
Guns90, check out the following thread for a TC comparison

http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24822

Guns90
05-19-2007, 07:23 AM
Thanks, XaiLo. Yes, I've seen that thread before. The IQ of the TC-58B is definitely better than any Raynox lens that I've seen. As I said before, I purchased the DCR-2020PRO [I]before[I] I found this forum. A friend of mine had told me about Lensmate, and when I looked at it online, the comparison photos of the 2020PRO seemed good enough for what I wanted. Oh well.

jonalta
05-19-2007, 08:03 PM
Quite the same pitfall for me actually. I viewed the lensmate website and Raynox Page. Although lensmate admits the non-optimal compatibility of the DCR-2020 with S3, the samples (especially in the Raynox site) looks very promosing.
I also bought the DCR-2020PRO before I knew this forum. Wish I did more research before I bought the DCR-2020PRO. I only hope now that the 2020PRO would do OK on my future video cam. :D
Happy shooting guys...