PDA

View Full Version : Optimizing Movie Workflow

gregoric
05-17-2007, 11:20 AM
Most digital cams these days take pretty good movies. I'm really happy about that because hauling around a vidcam (say to record my daughter's performance) and a conventional cam (to get a nice picture of her costume) is a drag. Still, there's a significant hurdle to get over; finding a fast, convenient way to get these movies onto a DVD for playing in any generic DVD player. Please share your experience and suggestions for optimizing this workflow. My cam, the Panasonic TZ1, happens to generate Quicktime (.MOV) files, but I'm starting this thread with the intention of compiling workflow suggestions for this and any other common format.

gregoric
05-18-2007, 04:23 AM
I've downloaded DVD Flick to see how well it works. Anyone have experience with it?

Pantanal
05-28-2007, 11:45 AM
I have a Canon A710IS, which I bought after I saw a demo of the incredible videos that it takes, which are far superior to my Canon camcorder. Like you, I use the A710 for all videography now, and it also takes great stills. I use the 2GB SD memory card, which will give me either 17 minutes of hi-res video or 647 full size (3+MB) stills, or a combination thereof.

The video files, however, are rather huge and in .mpg format. I use Windows Movie Maker for condensing other video formats without appreciable loss in quality, but for some reason my version of WMM doesn’t like the .mpg format. I thus have to use another editor to change the videos to .avi format (in my case, Adobe Premiere Elements V2.0), which WMM will accept. These files are even larger than the .mpg files, but WMM still whittles them down to size in .wmv format with very little quality loss. Rather roundabout, but it works.