PDA

View Full Version : APS-C Wideangle Woes...What's a poor man to do?

unclebrudy
05-17-2007, 12:08 AM
So I'm absolutely loving my Maxxum 5D, and from info I've gathered around this neck of the woods and various other (http://www.dyxum.com) beats (http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1035), I've compiled the following lensing so far:

Daily Grind Collection
Minolta 28mm f/2.8
Minolta 50mm f/1.7
Minolta 28-85mm f/3.5-4.5
Minolta 70-210mm f/4

Rarely Used/Dangerous Situations (i.e.-Beach) Collection
Minolta 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6
Minolta 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6
Tamron 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6

The "FRANKENSTEIN" Collection
Custom-made Glass Element MD/MA Converter
Rokkor-X 50mm f/1.7
Rokkor-X 135mm f/2.8
eBay M42 Adapter
Asahi Super Takumar 35mm f/3.5
Vivitar 55mm f/2.8

So if you've so kindly and keenly observed, my widest lens is...drum roll...the darn kit lens. Yeah, I know.

The CZ 16-80 is just ludicrously out of my budget (believe it or not, I haven't spent more than $35 on a single lens in my collection so far, since I purchased 'oily apertures' & other 'junked' second hand lensing and fixed them myself), and I've played a bit with other people's 'wides', such as the Tokina 19-35, Sigma 17-35, Sigma 12-24, and some others. It's just that the most affordable (Tokina 19-35) is still roughly $100USD when all is said and done. I know I can get wider with some M42s, but I want an AF lens.

Any suggestions? Or is an affordable, decent performing wide-angle just non-existent at this point in time?

Thanks.

-Brian

DonSchap
05-18-2007, 07:59 AM
Personally, to solve this problem, I also shy'd away grabbing a UWA Zoom lens, mainly due to costs much larger than my budget allowed. So, I went and picked up a $75 Phoenix 0.45x Teleconverter.

I did some field tests and found the light loss to only be 1/3 -f/stop ... effectively nothing, especially since the best you can get on a $500 UWA zoom is f/4, in most cases.

Adding this adapter to the front of your Minolta AF 28mm f/2.8 ... converts it to a nifty AF 13mm f/3.3. "Holy smokes ... that's not too bad," I thought. I tried it on the variable kit lens and was not very happy with the results. It did the best on the fixed focal length AF 28mm f/2.8 lens, which was just fine for what I wanted, anyway. It does deliver a nice indoor shot because of the low-light capability.

To me, this idea sounds like it is right where you want to be, also. I wouldn't worry about any serious optical distortion, because this is right where the breakpoint is for most lenses. It does have a slight bend to it, but it is definitely correctable in software, as most UWA are.

I've got a picture of the rig with this lens combo on it ...

it's mounted on a Canon AF28mm f/2.8, but the beauty of the adapter is that you can swap among all your 52mm or less filter-ring diameter lenses. It has adapter rings for 48mm, 49mm, 52mm and yeah, it might be slightly "Frankenstein" in nature, it does preserve your need for autofocus and a reasonable image. It mounts quite handily on the 49mm filter-ring of your AF 28mm f/2.8 lens, also.

I also have to ask ... what better solution for a mere $75? :cool: I think this one really ticks the lens purists off the most. It beats shooting through plastic lensing like they did in the 70's, thats for sure.