PDA

View Full Version : spider webs

See_Jane_Run
05-10-2007, 05:33 PM
How could I have made the web come out better??

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v700/xstinastripped/IMG_2852.jpg

Rhys
05-10-2007, 06:05 PM
Webs are hard - even with SLRs... Here's one I took a few months ago...

r3g
05-10-2007, 08:09 PM
suggested settings for any given inv.?

coldrain
05-11-2007, 02:50 AM
The photo is not sharp at all, and there is a LOT of noise in the image.
The ISO setting used does not show. My guess is that you use an automatic setting. Use a setting where you cen determine the ISO setting yourself, like "P" or something.

The shutter speed was very high, 1/1000th of a second, so there is more than enough room to use ISO 100 or ISO 200.
That will take care of the excessive noise.

For the rest, it is very hard for the camera to know what to focus on, as you can see the spider web threads are very thin. So, take care making sure the camera actually is focussing on the web and not something behind the web. When you go close, make sure to use the macro mode button (which will put a tulip symbol on the display).

Rooz
05-11-2007, 03:13 AM
maybe next time pick a web that has a few more strands to it aswell. like the one rhys put up.

Rhys
05-11-2007, 06:20 AM
maybe next time pick a web that has a few more strands to it aswell. like the one rhys put up.

The web I took was for my stepson's school project on Charlotte's Web. The wid was blowing the web about 8 inches in each direction so I had to use a narrow DOF to make sure it was sharp. Then after doing single AF I took the photo at the slowest practical shutter speed. It was also taken through a grubby window. I just couldn't get the light on that web from any other direction. The light is what makes this one work.

See_Jane_Run
05-11-2007, 06:25 AM
I used manual, I had it on a low ISO, I honestly can't remember exactly what, I tried the photo a few times. I didn't think to try adjusting the shutter speed, so thank you, I'll try that next time.
So to get less noise I should use macro?
I was having a really hard time to begin with, the sun was shining towards my LDC screen, so I couldn't even see that, plus the web was on a pedestrian walking bridge, so people kept on walking past.

See_Jane_Run
05-11-2007, 06:26 AM

lol my husband said, "next time carry a bag of dry wall & sprinkle it on the web". :rolleyes: :D
But yes, I agree, the web was kinda lacking in the first place.

Rooz
05-11-2007, 06:47 AM
lol the main prob with a web like that is that its very hard for the cam to pick up a focal point cos its so spindly. and even if you do manage to focus it well on one strand there isn;t enuf interest in that web to hold the image if you know what i mean ? a little trick...rather than drywall (:D) you can use a water spray bottle. just a few squirts of fine water mist on a web gives you some little droplets to add to the shot. :) that trick can also be used on flowers or just about anything where you want a little something extra.

macro mode or p mode will not reduce your noise either. that noise comes from your iso setting. without knowing anything about your camera and its settings, try and select the lowest possible iso setting you can without letting your shutter drop below say 125s.

edit: just read you already had a low iso. thats alot of noise though. i have no idea what thats from, what quality setting are you using ?

coldrain
05-11-2007, 06:54 AM
I do not think you actually did use a low ISO, there is no sun, nothing really bright, yet you are at 1/1000th of s second, and the blotchy noisy look does point at a higher ISO usage...

See_Jane_Run
05-11-2007, 07:05 AM
I do not think you actually did use a low ISO, there is no sun, nothing really bright, yet you are at 1/1000th of s second, and the blotchy noisy look does point at a higher ISO usage...

hmm.. ok.. i know i meant to, but like i said the sun was hitting my LCD screen, so when i was adjusting things i could barely see it.

So, i guess this leads to another question, how far away should you be from the web? Like right up by it? A foot away?
I was about 2 feet away & zooming in from there.

DonSchap
05-11-2007, 07:38 AM
Distance is usually not a problem, if you are outside the minimum focus distance (M.F.D.) of the lens and have adequate zoom to cover it. It is important to know what you are working with. Most 70-200mm lens require 4.5-feet. 70-300mm lens require 5-feet, minimum, between you and your subject.

Older 28-200mm lens require a whopping 6.9 feet!

The 200-500mm super telephoto ... 10 feet!

The newer 18-200mm lenses only ask for 18-inches and with the 18-55 or 18-70 "kit" lenses ... yep, you can get within 12-inches!

If you shoot with a PRIME lens, such as a 50mm f/1.8 ... you're back out to 18-inches

If you shoot with another popular-sized PRIME lens, such as a 28mm f/2.8 ... you come back into about 11-inches.

Bottom line: Each lens has it's own M.F.D. It is wise to learn it as soon as you can, to avoid annoying and preventable focus issues.

Phill D
05-11-2007, 10:37 PM
Jane
There is an old thread in the photo gallery with some spider webs in it, just search for Spider webs & it should come up. Sorry I don't know how to insert a link to it in here. I took my longer shots with long zoom & spot metering & focus to make sure that the web was the main subject. As others have said use low iso to keep the noise down & in my case it was the dew & early morning sun that allowed the camera enough detail to focus on the webs. For the close ups I used the macro setting & got down to a couple of inches at the closest with a largeish aperture to throw the background out of focus. I also tried to find webs that had much larger distance between them & any background than I was from the web. Not always easy, but if your camera allows a little bit of zoom away from wide angle in macro mode & still can close focus OK this can help throw the backgrounds out of focus which is more difficult on a point & shoot cam. In my case with the FZ20 if I stick below ~2.5x zoom I can still focus a few inches away. Check the closest focus distance of your canon in the manual so you don't get too close. Even slight breeze makes it difficult so patience is needed if the light dictates a low shutter speed. I used between 1/100s & 1/200s for my shots in aperture priority mode f2.8 and iso 80. Hope this helps good luck.

Steve_W_1962
05-12-2007, 07:19 AM
Not sure if this will work, but hopefully here's the link Phill D was talking about

http://http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23804&highlight=Spider+webs

That link doesn't work for some reason, I'll try again

http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23804&highlight=Spider+webs

Success :) :) :)

zmikers
05-12-2007, 07:42 AM
Sorry I don't have any examples, but if possible, catching a web with some dew on it can really improve the shot. If you can get the right angle, the dew droplets reflect the light quite nicely.

See_Jane_Run
05-12-2007, 05:08 PM
thank you all for your advice, very helpful, hopefully i can find another web soon to play with!!

Phill D
05-13-2007, 12:03 AM
No probs, post the webs when you find them.
52fazer600 Thanks for sorting out the link - how did you do it?

Steve_W_1962
05-13-2007, 02:24 AM
52fazer600 Thanks for sorting out the link - how did you do it?

Phill D, when you click on 'Post reply' and the page comes up with the text box in which you type your reply, above this box are lots of text options and various other things which you can use to 'add to' or change the appearance of your post.
There are two rows of these 'tabs', and approximately in the centre of the bottom row is the 'Insert link' tab, and if you click on this, you can paste the URL of the link into the box that has appeared - click 'ok' and that will put your desired link into your post
Hope you can follow this ;)

Phill D
05-13-2007, 11:10 PM
Thanks for the help Steve I'll give it a try when I don't have to rush off to work.

Steve_W_1962
05-14-2007, 09:32 AM
No problem Phill, one thing I forgot to mention is that when you come to paste the URL in the box ready to insert the link, you will need to delete the 'http://' that appears in that box when you first open it, otherwise 'http://' will appear twice at the start of the link and it won't work :(
That's what happened when I first tried it ;)