PDA

View Full Version : MEGA PIXELS FOR A NICE 8x10 Print!??

mtbtx
07-29-2004, 09:43 AM
Im a little confused ... will a 3.2 megapix camera (cannon s1)
produce a nice 8x10 or do i need at least a 4 megapix camera!!??
thanks . dan

Ray Schnoor
07-29-2004, 10:13 AM
You should be able to print a decent 8x10 photo with a 3.2 MP image.

mtbtx
07-29-2004, 11:26 AM
thanks ...so a 3.2 will produce a 8x10 as good or close enough to a 4 megapixels or is it worth the extra ???

Ray Schnoor
07-29-2004, 11:41 AM
That's up to you. How much extra is the 4MP camera ($10, $50, $100, $200?). Does the extra cost put the camera out of your budget? Would you ever print anything larger than an 8x10? Do you do a lot of cropping? Are all of the other features equivalent? I can't answer those questions with the information you have provided. I do know that you can print a decent 8x10 photo with a 3.2 MP camera (and a photo inkjet printer). I have made several with a Nikon Coolpix 990 and 995.

Can you see a noticeable difference in 8x10 printouts of 3.2 MP vs 4 MP image? Probably not.

Do you currently have any memory cards? Do you currently have a photo inkjet printer? If you do, you may want to take a photo with the cameras you are considering and print the photos to compare. That is what I always do with new cameras before handing over the money.

mtbtx
07-29-2004, 12:01 PM
thanks ray i would probably have them printed at a walmart on proffesional paper im deciding between the Canon S1 IS 3.2 megapixels and the Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ10 the feature i like on BOTH is the Image Stabilizer .
There is about a hundred or so dollar difference.
But i Do like the Cannon a little Better.....
Also is there a on line store that you have done buisness with that you would recommend...!!!
once again Thanks, dan

Ray Schnoor
07-29-2004, 12:19 PM
I personally would not pay the extra $100 for a 4MP camera. That's me, though. Additionally, I always live by the adage "I always buy the one I like better".

As for online photo finishers, I have used several (Shutterfly & Ofoto are the ones I remember) and have always had good results. I haven't used any of them recently, though. I do believe that Walmart will let you upload your photos and then pick them up at your local store within a few days.

For most of my prints, I use an Epson Photo Stylus printer (any model will do, but you can get an R200 for about $90). Canon also makes excellent photo printers in the same price range, I believe. I have also had prints made at CVS, just bring the card in and you have 4x6 prints in about 15 minutes.

mtbtx
07-29-2004, 12:37 PM
thanks ray...CANON S1 it is!!!!
i was just concerned on the 8x10 quality is all !!
dan

Atlantagreg
08-13-2004, 08:36 AM
This is a VERY relative subject, as what a "good" 8x10 photo is, will largely depend on the person who's viewing it.

In general with all things being equal, no, you will not see a huge difference in print quality from a 4MP camera vs. a 3MP camera, but there are variables, and it's rare you'll get two cameras lined up for comparison that have the same quality lens, among other things.

For example, if the 3MP camera in question has only an average lens, and the 4MP put up against it has a very high quality lens, this will make a difference. Perhaps the 3MP camera compresses it's images more even in "fine" mode, than the 4MP camera, or vice-verca? Lens quality, in-camera compression, etc., all play a roll in overall image and print quality.

The S1 is a nice camera, especially since prices have now started to drop on it making it more reasonable (do not pay $499 which some vendors are still trying to get for it). Taking a photo with just that one camera and doing an 8x10 print using a good printer and paper (or service), and you'll very likely think the 8x10 prints are fine. Take images with the 4MP Canon G3 and hold the prints up side-by-side however, and you will see an improvement over the prints via the G3 prints. Both cameras using low compression and high quality lenses, you *would* see a difference in a case like this. Without side-by-side comparisons however, a "good" 8x10 print is again, relative.

My *personal* opinion is that the S1 produces what I would call "acceptable" 8x10 prints, but not to be confused with "film quality" enlargements. I cannot repeat this enough - it's my opinion and relative to who is viewing them, before a war gets started over it. If my primary concern were good online images, and very good prints up to 5x7 most of the time, I would choose the S1. If I did plan on doing a large number of 8x10 prints, and "excellent" print quality of this size was a priority, then I would perhaps look elsewhere to some other offerings on the market.

Greg