PDA

View Full Version : Moonlight over lake

photodave
05-02-2007, 09:48 PM
Hi. This is my first post and I admit openly that I am a newbie.
I noticed that, at the time, it was a very gorgeous night. It was amazing. I tryed to capture it and I don't think it captured the beauty as I wanted.
I have a S2 IS. I set f2.7, 15", and 50 ISO.
I do have Jasc Paint Shop Pro 7. I do know how to use it a bit but not professionally.
If you have any advice on what I could have done different when shooting, or if I can salvage this picture, please share. I would appreciate it dearly.
Thanks in advance,
-Dave

AlexMonro
05-03-2007, 01:10 AM
It's a pretty nice shot - I'd give it space on my wall as a 10x8" print!:)

As to improvements - the composition might work a bit better if you pointed the camera slightly to the left, putting the moon about a third of the way in from the right. This would follow the rule of thirds, and crop out some of the black, featureless trees.

Lilchilichoco
05-05-2007, 03:12 AM
Dave......that's a dream!!!.......Beautiful shot!! I'm afraid I disagree with monro's advice. I think the tree and the shadows lend the mystery to the picture.........the contrast of the light with the dark IS the composition........:). The "featureless" trees create the environment and the mood of the photo. It's beautiful as it is.

There is a photo gallery in this forum where you can post your pictures for c&c. Welcome here and all the best!!

And by no means let rules limit you.:)

Best Regards

hokeyguy
05-05-2007, 08:31 AM
It's a pretty nice shot - I'd give it space on my wall as a 10x8" print!:)

As to improvements - the composition might work a bit better if you pointed the camera slightly to the left, putting the moon about a third of the way in from the right. This would follow the rule of thirds, and crop out some of the black, featureless trees.
I agree, slightly to the left, yet still leaving some of the trees in it. Maybe a bit less on the exposure too. Pretty good shot though.

fionndruinne
05-05-2007, 08:51 AM
It appears that a fairly large aperture was used (hence the shallower depth of field, and the trees not being in focus). I would go for a long exposure, with a smaller aperture. This might preserve more detail in the moon as well. I may be wrong here, as I'm rather newly graduated from point-and-shoot myself, but methinks that might give you some better results.

photodave
05-05-2007, 01:49 PM
Thanks for your opinions.
I'm posting two pictures post processed. I just sharpened them, brightened them a bit and cropped the trees on one of the two.

See_Jane_Run
05-05-2007, 01:55 PM
i like your original better than the PP one :)
But I wouldn't listen to me much, I'm really new to all this too.

Lilchilichoco
05-05-2007, 09:58 PM
Dave.....I like the original too. But I'm fairly new to this myself and perhaps some better qualified people will find the technical rights and wrongs of this,but to me,the original speaks to me,and I like it. A little sharpening is not out of place,but the brightening sort of takes the mystery away. I think,if a picture communicates what you experienced or had in mind when you shot it,or even when you first saw it on your computer screen,it is good. But that's just me. BIG on 'communication'.:)

Best Regards

zmikers
05-05-2007, 10:32 PM
First of all, obviously a tripod is essential here. What I might have tried, not saying it would have worked, is to treat it as a moon shot. Meter for the moon itself that way you could get some detail in the moon. Keep the same settings, zoom out, recompose and with the same settings as the "moon shot" fire away. The result would be very different though. You would probably end up with a lot darker scenery, but more details in the moon and moonlight on the water and boat. I realy like the idea of this shot and the composition, IMHO is perfect.