PDA

View Full Version : New Alpha User

dalen7
04-30-2007, 07:34 AM
Just got the alpha and was wondering if there is an online guide of how to use the alpha beyond the auto mode. - I have read the pointers in the sony guide...useful, but I still dont have my fingers wrapped around some stuff.

i.e. - I have lens kit and I am playing with aperature mode trying to get blurs in the background etc...but I think my lens the 18-70mm has to high f (f3.5 - 5.6)...so when I zoom in I only get 5.6...zoom out 3.5.)

anyway, metering I dont understand at all..never did it, dont get it...mayber there is an alpha + digital photographer for dummies type thing online.

Peace

Dalen

Djzleite
04-30-2007, 10:54 AM
First of all congratulations for buying this excelent machine and about literature there´s some ebooks around if you type on google Sony A100 Ebook, i keep on searching to download them for free but they´r not expensive either.
Until today i used always the auto but i shall manage to start using manual mode, i think we must experiment and see the results, getting used to the controls and menu´s.
Was in the church this sunday taking fotos to my daughter on scouts cerimony and had to change to Sony W100 and filming on 30fps because A100 was making lots of noise shooting :D
Reading this forum we can already learn much but i think it´s our personal experience wich will do the most.

cgl88
04-30-2007, 01:42 PM
How about going to the flickr site, alpha 100 group and seeing what others have done - then asking them how they did it?

This site is more active also
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1037

fos
04-30-2007, 07:49 PM
I guess by what you are saying that you are new not only to the Alpha but to the dslr world. First thing you must do is educate yourself in all aspects of the dslr camera that you have in your hands. I know you must be dying to just start shooting but that will not work. There's a learning curve that you have to conquer if you want to shoot with more than the AUTO mode, therefore having superb results.
You do have to, there's no way around it, learn about exposure, focal length, depth of field, circle of confusion, etc, etc, etc.... But DO NOT DESPAIR, HANG IN THERE. In a couple of weeks after reading about and handling the camera daily you just won't believe the pics you will be capable of taking.

I can stress enough the importance of learning about the camera, its technical aspects, etc, so you become more proficient taking pics. I am not asking you to become a professional photographer, but the more you immerse yourself in all of it, the more knowledge you'll have once you surface out of it.

Here's a couple of links of photography glossary and how the dslr works...I know, I know, it's pain in the butt, but it will be good for you...baby steps:p

http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glossary/

http://www.peterashbyhayter.co.uk/glossary.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dslr

P.S. I am sorry I was not able to provide a magic wand... I tried it too, but never found it.:D

dalen7
05-01-2007, 12:19 AM
Thanks guys for the links and encouragement.
I have had fun the past 3 days I have had the camera...

The one link, dpreview, does seem to be more active...but for the life of me I cannot register. I have tried with various email addresses (Im in Hungary) and nothing works. I have even emailed direct requesting a password...I finally gave up, when I got no reply...so I suppose I will just remain in the background.

None the less, I am happy to have found alternative alpha forums such as this one.

Again, thanks for the reply.

Peace

zand
05-05-2007, 09:24 PM
If you want to learn more about how your A100 works and how to use it beyond the auto mode, I would take a look here (http://www.digital-slr-guide.com/digital-slr-camera-technique.html). I bought that guide and it helped understanding how the camera works (shutterspeed, aperture, exposure and so on) and I learned how to use other other programs than auto. I would recommend it and I would say it is worth the $15 it is.

cgl88
05-07-2007, 07:06 AM
Thanks guys for the links and encouragement.
I have had fun the past 3 days I have had the camera...

The one link, dpreview, does seem to be more active...but for the life of me I cannot register. I have tried with various email addresses (Im in Hungary) and nothing works. I have even emailed direct requesting a password...I finally gave up, when I got no reply...so I suppose I will just remain in the background.

None the less, I am happy to have found alternative alpha forums such as this one.

Again, thanks for the reply.

Peace

Send an email to the administrator on that site. Very active place. You will learn a lot.

I read your older message about shallow DOF. Unfortunately, you'll need to buy a prime lens, 50mm or smaller but the key is the f-stop. F1.7 will get you what you want.

You can get a minolta 50mm for $125CDN.

By the way, I bought an a100 this past weekend and hope to contribute / learn about this camera.