PDA

View Full Version : Metering

r3g
04-28-2007, 03:44 PM
Any good guides to metering? When to use what metering method and such?

SpecialK
04-28-2007, 07:21 PM
A highly recommended book (by some people) is "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson, but it only covers exteriors mostly, and nothing much about spot metering or flash.

All metering requires interpretation, most learned from experience:-)

Average - read the entire frame and makes it a middle 18% gray.

Center-weighted - Puts more emphasis on the center area as it is assumed most people put the subject there.

Spot meter - requires measuring one or more small areas of a subject, and making exposure corrections based on the subjects.

I use the "multi-segment" mode of the K100D which divides the frame into 16 areas and makes a calculation based on the brightness of them individually.

I don't have any recommedations, except to use the histogram and review modes. If your subject is moving so quickly you don't have time to reshoot it, then use exposure bracketing (if the D40 has that) in tricky lighting.

fionndruinne
05-05-2007, 09:09 AM
Check out "Photography FAQs: Exposure" by Chris Weston. It is a great book with quick and detailed info on a lot of topics, and metering is covered very well. I found the book in Barnes & Noble, but couldn't afford it at the time (~$27, a little pricey for its size I thought). I read through it for about a half-hour, just the same;) .