PDA

View Full Version : Dont know what to do?

jamessa
07-29-2004, 09:38 AM
I am looking at getting a new digital camera. I am really interested in the Canon S1, but it has a few problems that I don't know if I can deal with.

1.Small LCD
2.NO AF assist lamp for low light shots.

Should I just get a A75 and wait till a 10x zoom camera comes out that is a bit more perfect or should I not be concerned?

Thanks!

Marcus Roque
07-29-2004, 12:14 PM
I'm also interested in what you guys would say about this! :confused:

cheers, :cool:

D70FAN
07-29-2004, 05:21 PM
I am looking at getting a new digital camera. I am really interested in the Canon S1, but it has a few problems that I don't know if I can deal with.

1.Small LCD

Should I just get a A75 and wait till a 10x zoom camera comes out that is a bit more perfect or should I not be concerned?

Thanks!

The Panasonic FZ3 seems to answer most of those issues except the LCD size. Costing $100 more than the A75, it's quite a bargain. You would have to live with a 1.5" LCD, but the overall package would more than make up for that.

For $100 more, again, ($499) the FZ15 seems to address all of your issues, with all the good stuff Plus a 2" LCD and 4MP.

Since these cameras have yet to be tested/tried by any of us picture quality and actual operation is unknown. But given the past track record with the FZ1 and FZ10 I think Panasonic will have several new winners.

It may seem that I am hung-up on the Panasonic FZ series, but their overall performance and value has very few challengers. They seem to be listening to the buying public and fulfilling some very high end wishes at a very decent price. Image Stabilized (IS) Ultra-zooms aren't for everyone but they sure are fun.

The Canon A75 and A80 are my favorites for semi-pocket size, as they just feel great. And again the A75 is a lot of camera for the price.

The Minolta Z3 might be a competitor in the Ultra Zooms if the price is right. And the new crop of Fuji E500's look to be a challenger to Canon in the A75/A80 arena as well. Especially the E500 and the E510.

John_Reed
07-29-2004, 05:54 PM

1.Small LCD

Thanks!
No "perfect" camera will ever be available. Forget that. But I thought I'd comment on your two points of concern. I use and normally advocate Panasonic FZ1 and FZ10 cameras, but hey, George is doing a good job of that. With respect to the "small LCD," I have to confess that I rarely even use the LCD on my FZ cameras, since I rely upon the EVF, even for Quick Review after each shot. Once in awhile, I may look at something on the LCD, but it's not often. Now I have to admit, the Canon S1 has a pivotable LCD, and for some situations, that's pretty handy, like when you want to shoot a photo at ground level, or holding the camera over your head above a crowd. But for framing purposes, I'm sure that small LCD would still let you pretty much compose your shot. As I said, I do all my framing through the eyepiece.
With respect to AF illuminator, there's an open debate as to how useful these really are with a camera that specializes in picking birds out of distant trees, since the little lamp doesn't really throw out a beam useful beyond 10 or 20 feet. But for many situations, like indoor evening photos and the like, I'm sure it would be useful, else people wouldn't consider it such a necessity. I can say that, of the 20,000+ photos I've taken with my FZ1 and FZ10, particularly since I upgraded the firmware on my FZ1 (before upgrade, the FZ1 display used to go dark, even though you'd still get focus), I've never missed a shot because I didn't have an AF illuminator. I can't vouch for the low-light performance of the Canon S1, but at least that's my Panasonic experience.