PDA

View Full Version : Nikon D2H now at $1999.

D70FAN
12-14-2004, 10:51 AM
If you ever wanted a D2H, now is the time as the price has just dropped by over $1000, probably in lieu of the D2X comming out early 2005.

It may only be 4MP but this is definately a sports/action photographers camera at 8fps!

Rhys
12-14-2004, 12:35 PM
If you ever wanted a D2H, now is the time as the price has just dropped by over $1000, probably in lieu of the D2X comming out early 2005.

It may only be 4MP but this is definately a sports/action photographers camera at 8fps!

Wow and it seems like only yesterday that 4mp was the bee's knees. Now it sems just so humdrum.

I'm still of the opinion that for the majority of users, there's no point in going above 3mp.

I'd say that the largest practical size for a 35mm-styled dSLR is probably going to be a the size of a double page spread on a broadsheet. I'd estimate this as around 29 by 23 inches. Anything larger would probably be better on medium format film. Thus, at 150 dpi (my preferred measurement) this equals 4,425 x 3,525 or around 15 megapixels. Interestingly, Kodak's SLR is 14 megapixels.

So... Anything between 3 megapixels and 14 is liable just to be a space filler. We know 14mp CCDs exist. We know they're sold commercially so it does appear that we're being milked by the camera companies who want to sell a new camera to us every year before they finally give us 14mp. It's a nice cash cow for them that they've been milking since 1996 (when digital cameras first started to make an appearance on the high street).

D70FAN
12-14-2004, 03:47 PM
Wow and it seems like only yesterday that 4mp was the bee's knees. Now it sems just so humdrum.

I'm still of the opinion that for the majority of users, there's no point in going above 3mp.

I'd say that the largest practical size for a 35mm-styled dSLR is probably going to be a the size of a double page spread on a broadsheet. I'd estimate this as around 29 by 23 inches. Anything larger would probably be better on medium format film. Thus, at 150 dpi (my preferred measurement) this equals 4,425 x 3,525 or around 15 megapixels. Interestingly, Kodak's SLR is 14 megapixels.

So... Anything between 3 megapixels and 14 is liable just to be a space filler. We know 14mp CCDs exist. We know they're sold commercially so it does appear that we're being milked by the camera companies who want to sell a new camera to us every year before they finally give us 14mp. It's a nice cash cow for them that they've been milking since 1996 (when digital cameras first started to make an appearance on the high street).

Like you, I agree that 3MP is enough for the average 8 x 10 print, and 4MP is plenty for most sports/action photography, especially when the camera can shoot at 8 frames per second (ala D2H). But I have seen several very nice "art prints" shot with the D2H and printed at 11 x 17 that looked great.

As far as your 16MP optimum CCD sensor...

In addition to the 14MP Kodak Pro series, the Canon 1Ds Mk II is a 16MP full format 35mm CMOS sensor.

But one of the coolest new high MP cameras is the D2H replacement. The new Nikon D2X is a 12MP (APS-C size CMOS sensor) which can be sensor-cropped to 6MP for 8fps continuous shooting.

A side benefit for sports/action/nature photographers, besides the extreme frame speed, is that the sensor cropped image now has a focal length multiplier of 2X, so that 600mm f4 is now a 1200mm f4! By cropping the sensor Nikon has extended the range of current f2, f2.8, and f4 prime super telephoto, and fast professional zoom VR lenses, to the realm of "formerly unavailable at any price".

This allows shooting a wedding in the morning and a football game in the afternoon using the same camera and a couple of "good" lenses, instead of a whole bag full. I'm not sure that anyone has caught on to this yet... But they will. So stand by for Canon to introduce another 16MP (or higher) dSLR with this nifty feature as well.

Want medium format?

Just to add insult to injury, Phase One has a self-contained 22MP medium format back on the market for Hasi, Mamiya, and others for a mere $25,000. Not a consumer product. ;).

That is why you can pick up a professional 120/220 medium format film camera for about 1/3 it's original cost, as all the studios move to digital as well.

As we have often speculated this will eventually bring the cost of Pro dSLR's down to the price justification area of we who don't make our living in this medium.

Rhys
12-14-2004, 04:43 PM
I've always dabbled with medium format. My big gripe has been that the bodies and lenses were so cumbersome and heavy. Maybe digital will do for medium format what it did for 35mm. I'd love to see some compact-styled medium-format digital cameras. I remember seeing a 120 camera that had a 6 x 9 format and looked to be a rangefinder. It looked a bit like a traditional 35mm compact on steroids. I have no doubt it took wonderful photos. I'd love that kind of thing but lighter in weight and more portable.