PDA

View Full Version : Evolt has landed

Dan
12-14-2004, 06:13 AM
I just bought my “Evolt” (Olympus E-300) last Saturday and have been "toying" around with it since. Still trying to familiarize myself with it's tons of features, I’ve been test-taking pictures around the house and actually was able to use it during a Christmas party pretty much on default auto mode settings and boldly trying a bit of tweaks every now and then per manual.

So far, …taken a total of a little over 200 pics, 60% + using flash, and battery with still a lot of charge left after! Must say that I'm pretty impressed... The start time is virtually sub-second instantaneous with the supersonic self cleaning routine doesn't seem to stop you from pressing the button halfway, AF works quickly, resulting to overall lag time between shots probably sub-second fast, and images super-duper extremely sharp, without any noticeable aberrations (so far). Burst mode at HQ 3264x2448 image setting, I think, will go for as long as I hold the button down (on one occasion, took more than a dozen pics) and is only limited by the remaining memory (quite a bit of the 500 frames with the 1Gig Extreme CF I’m using).

I find it's ergonometric and usability great. For instance, control buttons are easy to use and learn, very clear (night/day) subject targeting and focusing through the viewfinder/parameters, very intuitive menu and screen display, easy to use startup and advance user's manual, trigger button right where it should be with excellent 2-step sensitivity, camera balance and grip is excellent and fits right into my (ave. sized right handed) hand.

Out of the box the camera comes equipped with 14-45 mm lens, battery and basic peripherals and tons of basic and advance photo features. I'm definitely impressed and falling in love with this camera (just next to God, wife and kids :o), and am looking forward to having lots of good times with it... venturing through the vast permutations of its functional envelope! Though just an amateur photo-buff-hobbyist early on its learning curve, I think at 1,299.00 CA$, this is one heck of an SLR camera indeed, superb true color, super sharp high res capable at 8 MP, and is certainly more than what I had hoped or bargained for! :)

I certainly will appreciate receiving other's experiences, tips and feed back on the camera.

Best regards.

Jim Last
12-14-2004, 08:48 AM
What camera are you upgrading from or is this your first?

I am interested to see how the Evolt fairs inrespect to the C-8080.

Dan
12-14-2004, 09:22 AM
The "Evolt" is an addition to my Nikon (film based) SLR and 2 low-end (2.4 MP Casio and Canon) digitals (non-slrs), which are mostly for family use. I.e., I find "Evolt" features fantastic for simple (default auto modes) "fun-everday aim and fire" use, as well as "advance" enough for some future "serious" level of artistic photography. Thougts? Cheers.

Jim Last
12-14-2004, 09:26 AM
The evolt looks like being a neat bit of kit, however, a couple of posts state that with the kit included lens the evolt is similar to the C-8080. It is only when buying the pro lenses that the evolt comes into its own. I guess I'll wait until Jeff has reviewed it.

Jim Last
12-14-2004, 09:26 AM
On another issue, when you pick it up, were they stocking the FL-36 Flash?

Dan
12-14-2004, 09:35 AM
The store where I got it from, have FL 20 and FL 50 in stock, and TF, STF 22s, as well, which are priced around 500+ CA$.

Jim Last
12-14-2004, 09:49 AM
That FL-36 is sure elusive :)

Dan
12-16-2004, 09:35 PM
Jim, your absolutely right. taking advantage of my visit here in NY, guess what, it's out of stock even at the biggest camera store in Manhattan! So just picked up a Sigma lens (18-120) instead and works fantastic.