PDA

View Full Version : How to straighten askew horizon..

Lilchilichoco
04-21-2007, 01:15 AM
Could someone please tell me how to straighten an askew horizon,I'm quite good at those....so most of my photos are tilting towards one side. I'm not good at photoshop though,so would really appreciate a take-by-hand approach. If this is the wrong place for this question please tell me the right one.

Thanks and Best Regards

D Thompson
04-21-2007, 04:42 AM
It's fairly easy if you're using PS. First, of course, is always work on a duplicate layer {ctrl+j}. Shortcuts are for pc, you can adjust for a mac.

Select all by either {ctrl+a} or select/all.
Then {ctrl+t} or edit/free transform.
Move the arrow to outside the box at a corner and you will see it change to a arc type shape. Move it and you should see the selection rotating. Just rotate it until you get the horizon straight.
Next, go to one of the corners and directly over the little square box until it changes to a diagonal arrow. Hold the shift key and drag until it fills the background and then go to the opposite diagonal corner and do the same thing. Press enter and it should be straight.

Hope this helps.

toriaj
04-21-2007, 11:17 AM
Are you using Photoshop Elements, Photoshop CS2, or another? Often there is a "straighten" tool right on the toolbar.

JLV
04-21-2007, 11:34 AM
In PhotoShop try this:

Rotate Canvas
Arbitrary
then enter anagle and select either CW or CCW

Experiment until it is level.

D Thompson
04-21-2007, 07:10 PM
In PhotoShop try this:

Rotate Canvas
Arbitrary
then enter anagle and select either CW or CCW

Experiment until it is level.

If you use the free transform method, you don't have to guess, undo, and guess again for the results. But in PS, to each his own.

zmikers
04-21-2007, 07:19 PM
In PS you can also use the crop tool. Select the crop tool, then select your entire image, move the cursor to just outside one of the corners until to cursor changes into a curved arrow, then while holding down the mouse button rotate the image. For me it always helps to show the grid over your image to make sure it is straight. You can do this by clicking "view-show-grid" on the tool bar. Hope this helps:D

Lilchilichoco
04-22-2007, 06:57 AM
Thanks so much guys!!!I have been saved!!!:)....so have been the shots!!!

Dennis.....I tried your method and it works like a CHARM!!!!! :)....Thanks a million!!!!

Jlv.....your method seemed to be only rotating the photo...I was lost after that....but thanks anyway!!

toriaj, I use CS2....I couldn't find the straighten tool though.

Zmikers,thanks to u too...I'll try your method too. Thanks a lot.

God Bless
Best Regards

D Thompson
04-22-2007, 08:23 AM

Dennis.....I tried your method and it works like a CHARM!!!!! :)....Thanks a million!!!!

Jlv.....your method seemed to be only rotating the photo...I was lost after that....but thanks anyway!!

God Bless
Best Regards

You're welcome, glad I could help.

debu_17
04-22-2007, 11:08 AM
does the PS maintain the original EXIF after the rotation?

JLV
04-22-2007, 01:06 PM

Often when the horizon is not straight, the camera was not held staright. If that is the case, the whole picture needs to be straightened. That is why I made the recommendation that I made.

Lilchilichoco
04-22-2007, 03:33 PM
Jlv......I am an absolute genius at "not-holding-camera-straight":).....and I am a baby as far as PS is concerned...so just found your method a little complicated.....I'm sure if I try harder and longer I'd get it......thanks so much for your help.

Best Regards

zmikers
04-22-2007, 04:33 PM

God Bless
Best Regards

No worries. I know there were already other suggestions before I made mine but I figured it can't hurt to have options......LOL:p

Lilchilichoco
04-23-2007, 07:20 AM
What happens to the pic when I change it this way? Is there any change in the physical properties of the picture? Does it affect prints or resolution?

Best Regards

zmikers
04-23-2007, 04:39 PM
What happens to the pic when I change it this way? Is there any change in the physical properties of the picture? Does it affect prints or resolution?

Best Regards

The only thing that will happen is that when you rotate the image the corners go out of the picture so you have to make the image a little bit smaller to fit it in. The physical properties and resolution stay the same. If you are shooting jpegs, then you don't want to edit and save, edit and save over and over again. After time it will degrade your image. In RAW it doesn't matter how many times you do this. If I need to straighten an image, it is usually my first step in my PP. I know many people like to crop their image last but I do it second, right after I straighten it, if need be.

Lilchilichoco
04-25-2007, 02:59 AM
thanks zmikers.......I noticed I was losing a bit of my pics when I stretched them to fit in.....sometimes it's quite a bit......so I'd better get my hands trained to hold that cam straight....:)

I think I have the same steps as yours in PP. Haven't yet started RAW shooting....will do soon.

Thanks and Best Regards

coldrain
04-25-2007, 04:42 AM
If you have Adobe Photoshop CS2, there is a much better and easier way to straighten your photos.

It is not at the most findable place, but once you know where to find it, you will love it.

Go to the photoshop menu: Filter/Distort >/Lens correction...

You will find yourself in a dialog window with your photo and a grid laying over it.
On the left you will find a few buttons. The 2nd button from the top has an angle symbol. Select it.
The cursor gets to be a cross. Draw a line with it over what should be horizontal or vertical (the horizon in this case).

Done.

zmikers
04-25-2007, 08:18 AM
If you have Adobe Photoshop CS2, there is a much better and easier way to straighten your photos.

It is not at the most findable place, but once you know where to find it, you will love it.

Go to the photoshop menu: Filter/Distort >/Lens correction...

You will find yourself in a dialog window with your photo and a grid laying over it.
On the left you will find a few buttons. The 2nd button from the top has an angle symbol. Select it.
The cursor gets to be a cross. Draw a line with it over what should be horizontal or vertical (the horizon in this case).

Done.

That sounds like a nice option. I have PS 7.0 and it doesn't have that option. Too bad. Thanks for the tip though!

Honest Gaza
04-25-2007, 05:52 PM
....and I'll be checking that tonight too. Thanks Coldrain :)

Robert Besen
04-25-2007, 06:23 PM
Nice. I've used the lens correction filter before, but never looked at those buttons on the top left. Thanks for the tip. You can do essentially the same thing with the measure tool, hidden under the eyedropper, and then Rotate Canvas:Arbitrary on the image menu. The angle shown in the dialog is the angle drawn with the measure tool, so you just click ok. Your way is a lot easier to get to (and remember.)

Lilchilichoco
04-26-2007, 12:33 AM
okay........like I said........am reeeeelly new to PS......so coldrain,I couldn't get it right in the first few times,will try more. Thanks a lot and it's already helped a few more people,so that's great!!:)

Best Regards