PDA

View Full Version : Olympus SmartCard help needed

Vicki
12-13-2004, 01:20 PM
I have a C-3000 Olympus Camedia, and a Delkin Smart Card reader. I download my pictures from the SmartCard via the Delkin reader. Then I erase the pictures via Delkin. I put the SmartCard back in the camera, turn dial to "P" to take pictures, and message says card is full. I move dial to ">" to delete pictures, and message says no pictures. Is there a way to reformat the SmartCard? Any other suggestions? I have lost 2 SmartCards so far, and don't know what I am doing wrong.

D70FAN
12-13-2004, 01:44 PM
I have a C-3000 Olympus Camedia, and a Delkin Smart Card reader. I download my pictures from the SmartCard via the Delkin reader. Then I erase the pictures via Delkin. I put the SmartCard back in the camera, turn dial to "P" to take pictures, and message says card is full. I move dial to ">" to delete pictures, and message says no pictures. Is there a way to reformat the SmartCard? Any other suggestions? I have lost 2 SmartCards so far, and don't know what I am doing wrong.

Run the in-camera formating routine anyway. You should be able to reformat the card regardless of picture status.

kgosden
12-13-2004, 03:09 PM
Vicki, memory card formatting is found on the 3rd page of the record menu on the C-3000Z. It is the first item on that page listed as Card Setup. The prompts should be obvious.

Vicki
12-13-2004, 05:00 PM
Thanks so much!! It worked! At least on my 64MB card, but it does not work on the 32MB card. But I get the idea. So is the moral of this story, do not erase via Delkin reader? Even getting one card back is good news. I was afraid I was doomed to blow up every card I owned. Thanks so much.

kgosden
12-13-2004, 07:38 PM
Since SmartMedia is starting it's death spiral as a card format I would advise you to pick up a few more cards. I regularly see 128MB SM cards for $15 or so. I doubt if they will ever get cheaper, and history says that they will actually go up in price. If I were betting I would even consider picking up a few thousand dollars worth now and hording them for 18 months as I think you could make some good money on them. Once the no name card companies give up on them only the expensive Olympus branded ones will be available. If I remember correctly from my C-3030Z days a 128MB card holds about 70-80 photos at the best JPG quality so get 4-5 and be prepared.

Vicki
12-14-2004, 04:37 PM
I love this site. It is guys like you who make this so informative. I did not know the cards were making a spiral death. Guess I need to get out and get me some....but don't delete with Delkin!!
Thanks again for all the help you have been. You are great!

Thon
12-26-2004, 04:25 PM
A quick point to note...

I've seen a few posts on this issue of memory cards problems occuring after the files were erased either through a card reader or in-camera through the "cut & paste" method.

I had encountered this problem a couple of times as well on my Stylus 400, but taking the card out and putting it back in seems to make it work again (backup and reformat ASAP).

It seems that the methods above corrupts the card FAT causing the camera to be unable to read from the card.

It seems that the best method to prevent this problem is to totally erase it (via the camera menu) or formatting it in-camera. Currently I reformat my card after every 3-4 downloading sessions (full memory card) to my PC. Hopefully it has no major effect on the lifespan of the card.

Another small tip (but some may not agree). Medium capacity cards (256-128MB) cards are better for 3-5MP cameras (for the general photographers), not the 512MB and above cards (these are for the 6MP and above cameras or those who shoots in RAW and TIFF only).
Reason: You get enough memory capacity to take a decent amount of photos without running out of memory, but if the card gets corrupted/faulty/lost/..., the loss is not as great. A case of don't put all your eggs in one basket. And changing a memory card is not that big a hassle actually (think of it as reloading a roll of film). I own 2 128MB xDs and carry them around all the time (they are small).

sldalr
10-11-2007, 03:32 PM
Here is a Web Site to someone who will reformat your damaged smart cards and it is very inexpensive. I have used the service and so far it has been excellent. The damage seems to come from using the smartcard reader to delete/cut/paste pics instead of using the camera itself and/or the software it came with.

Here's the site:

http://www.smartmediarepair.com/html/image_recovery.html

Hope this helps!

sldalr
10-11-2007, 03:35 PM
http://www.smartmediarepair.com/index.html

This is the correct Web Site for reformatting the smartcards. The other is for retrieving lost data and/or photos from damaged cards.

S.

ddpmacho
10-22-2007, 04:48 AM
This thread is from 3 yrs ago.