View Full Version : studio equiptment for home

04-12-2007, 02:52 PM
we have a room that we're wanting to convert to a studio. what are some necessities? :D

04-12-2007, 03:27 PM
we have a room that we're wanting to convert to a studio. what are some necessities? :D

200 AMP electrical service and many outlets
12-foot ceiling, otherwise everyone ... sit down, no standing shots
At least 15 x 15 room, for flexibilty ... otherwise, you are severely cramped with your lighting options
Light-sealed (turn off the lights, wait several minutes and see if daylight is peeking in)
Solid backdrop stand ... that is not going to fall over under the weight of the backdrop material.
At least 3 13' heavy-duty lighting stands
42" Reflectors or zip disks
good ventilation and cooling
adequate entry
lockable door

That's good start, I figure. There are books on this. :)

Lighting is a whole other issue ... books on that, too! :D

04-12-2007, 06:11 PM
yes, i'll have to get myself a book or do more extensive google research.

i just didn't know if there are any basic "kits" out there, kinda like a "portrait studio in a box" type thing ;)

04-12-2007, 07:18 PM
While I was recently in LA, I stopped at the 4-story high Samy's Camera store.

In addition to checking out the H3D-39 Megapixal Hasselblad, I also checked into lighting. Although Samy's had some inexpensive light kits starting as low as $300, one thing to watch out for is the longevity of the bulbs since some don't last near as long as other kits. The type of bulb may be another issue. I guess it may be the same old thing--pay now or pay more later. They also had a good selection of photography books (I purchased two books as well as other camera goodies).

Myself, I'm thinking of constructing a frame out of something like electrical conduit where I can attach the lights and still be able to move them at the same time. This should also keep any cords out of the way and be able to hold backdrops and props.