PDA

View Full Version : Help w/ Linear Polarizer...

nosam
04-11-2007, 12:33 PM
I recently purchased a Hoya 58mm Linear Polarizer for my Fuji s6000fd. (I read that the circular polarizer's were mainly for DSLR's.) But I'm having some real trouble getting good results with it. My main problem is that it's almost impossible for me to tell on the screen just how much "polarization" I'm getting when I turn the dial on the filter. So I either end up with images that are far too dark. Or images that look no different. Does anyone have some suggestions as to what I may be doing wrong? I hope the problem isn't in fact that I should have purchased a circular instead of linear polarizer.

Thanks.:)

ktixx
04-11-2007, 01:02 PM
I recently purchased a Hoya 58mm Linear Polarizer for my Fuji s6000fd. (I read that the circular polarizer's were mainly for DSLR's.) Thanks.:)

Circular Polarizer's are for Auto Focus Camera's - not just for DSLR's

debu_17
04-12-2007, 10:16 AM
i do not have the fuji 6000fd, but have tried out a Lin. pola on FZ 50 , ( which is also a digicam-zoom).

at least with apr. priority/shutter prio. the corresponding
shutter speed/aperature shown in the disp. changes when
the pola is screwed in.
i then use the new values for the exposure along with histo. disp.

turning the pola may not change the exposure values.
but the "blue-ness" of the sky does change in the view finder display( have not been very certaoin with the lcd disp)

please check and alos update about ur experience.

atleast do not be in doubt about the issue being related to
lin. pola or circular pola. xposure at ccd plane may not have much to do with it.

nosam
04-15-2007, 06:31 PM
Circular Polarizer's are for Auto Focus Camera's - not just for DSLR's

So should I have purchased a circular polarizer instead of the linear?

turning the pola may not change the exposure values.
but the "blue-ness" of the sky does change in the view finder display( have not been very certaoin with the lcd disp)

I have played with the dial in the brightest of daylight. And it's still just incredibly difficult to tell to what degree the polarizing effect is set to. I can only tell the slightest difference on the LCD screen. I wish I had a DSLR!

hokeyguy
04-15-2007, 07:14 PM
Some angles do not show a dramatic difference. Try looking at the sky at a 90 degree angle from the sun, this is where the greatest effect can be seen. Also try looking at glare being reflected off of a surface and rotate the filter. You should see the glare either disappear or be greatly reduced. Someone here posted a really nice link with good visuals showing the correct angles to get maximum effect in another thread.

Edit: found the link...
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/User-Guide/filter/polarizer.html

Also, while some people here seem to be using linear polarizers with no issue, I have to add this.

There are two types of polarizing filters available — linear or circular. Linear polarizers are more effective and less expensive than circular ones. But circular polarizers are needed with just about any camera that has a through-the-lens metering system, or autofocus.

The reason for this is that both of these systems use semi-silvered mirrors to siphon off some of the light coming though the lens. If that light is linearly polarized it renders either the metering or the autofocus ineffective. This means that you're going to have to buy circular polarizers unless you're shooting with a pre-1970's camera, or a view camera.
Taken from here...
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/polarizers.shtml

jjlad
04-15-2007, 10:54 PM
I have a Fuji s7000 and just ordered a linear polarizer off ebay. My understanding is that if you depress the shutter button half way and turn the ring, you should see the difference ..or at least see when it is getting darker. Then release the shutter so that the camera adjusts it's exposure, and take the photo.

I'm actually going to try mine ...which is a 52mm, on my lens adaptor, and screw my .38 wide angle onto it. ie. Camera >> lens adaptor >> 52mm polarizer >> .38 wide angle. I'm hoping this will allow me to use the polarizer with and without the wide angle lens. Otherwise I would need a 72mm polarizer ..which gets pretty expensive.

Hope my suggestion helps. I tried it hand holding my old 67mm circular polarizer in front of my lens adaptor and it seemed to work.

jj

debu_17
04-19-2007, 10:56 AM
i have also tried out this on the pana fz50,

i use the cam quick replay mode as a test pic.

then turn the pola in the requird. dir till the replay shows the right effect , in terms of blue sky or reduced reflections from the water surface or less glare from windows ( what looks good to me in the replay)

any ways the pola is useful for landscapes/ scenes , so enough time is available.

nosam
04-23-2007, 12:06 PM
Some angles do not show a dramatic difference. Try looking at the sky at a 90 degree angle from the sun, this is where the greatest effect can be seen. Also try looking at glare being reflected off of a surface and rotate the filter. You should see the glare either disappear or be greatly reduced. Someone here posted a really nice link with good visuals showing the correct angles to get maximum effect in another thread.

Edit: found the link...
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/User-Guide/filter/polarizer.html

Also, while some people here seem to be using linear polarizers with no issue, I have to add this.

Taken from here...
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/polarizers.shtml

Sorry to take so long to respond. Those are great links and were very helpful. Now that the weather is better I will get out and experiment some more. I'll make a point to try rotating the ring with the shutter halfway depressed. That seems so obvious now but I didn't even think of it. :rolleyes:

Thanks to everyone who responded!