PDA

View Full Version : not true!, "the kit" is not a piece of trash

fos
04-10-2007, 03:46 PM
Not true, "the kit" is not a piece of trash!!! Mine has done a great job... as a paperweight:D . Other useful applications I found:

2) unique baby rattler...you might be surprised how sturdy it is
3) rare candle holder
4) one of a kind soccer ball...what? it rolls very nicely
5) most excellent, lightweight and practical hammer... it does not pull the nails out, but what do you want?
6) gravity teaching tool...just push it down the stairs or let it drop, it's a beauty

There are many more things to do with it. But I'll let you all share a little.All and all, when you come to think of it, it's a bargain. "The kit" is a great piece of hardware, just don't use it as lens.

DonSchap
04-10-2007, 09:36 PM
Ahhh, yes ... humor. When it comes to the kit lens ... it just didn't strike my funny bone. My angry bone, perhaps. I hate throwing good money away for no return.

So... in response, I picked up the ultimate "kit" lens, tonight. The TAMRON AF 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 XR DiII LD Aspherical (IF)

Shot one of my favorite "quick shots" targets ... here's what I got, after adjusting size for the two different DCFs.

TAMRON 18-250mm on the SONY A100

TAMRON 18-200mm on the Canon EOS 20D

Even with TAMRON's slight color shift (Comparing Canon lenses to TAMRON) ... you can see how the Canon tends to pale the color a bit. The SONY has a more ... oh, call it "natural" color to it.

I thought it might be the spectrum created by the pop-up flash, but the paleness is there in daylight, too. Just some footnotes ...

fos
04-11-2007, 04:06 AM
Congratsssss on your new glasssss:)

DonSchap
04-11-2007, 08:24 AM
Thanks ... they sure were excited to see me come and get it.

It'll be riding pretty standard on my SONY A100, as the "on the go" lens. I know that some people feel this lens is a compromise, but it still represents a terrific one-lens solution for a DSLR. It weighs only 15 oz ... and after toting other, heavier lenses to cover the same focal range ... it is a welcome relief. :D

I kind of knew what was coming, though, due to my previous experiences with the TAMRON AF18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 XR DiII LD Aspherical (IF) on the Canon EOS 20D. It was my base lens for the 20D for the first quarter of 2006. After using it, I realized I need some wider aperture, for indoor stuff ... and got tired of doing the zoom two-step with the 50mm f/1.8 and 28mm f/2.8 PRIMES. The proper answer, of course: the TAMRON SP AF17-50mm f/2.8 XR DiII LD Aspherical (IF) ... but, I had to wait until April 2006, when it was finally released.

I also picked up the venerable TAMRON SP AF28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) for my EOS-3 35mm-film camera ... so that gave me "the gap-filler" lens ... and I finally added the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM to finish off the range of the 18-200mm in f/2.8

Obviously, the combined weight of these three f/2.8 lenses (respectively 15oz, 18 oz, & 52 oz) is NOT exactly a vacationer's dream set. It's quite a serious burden compared to the weight of the 18-200mm (15 oz). With more glass, you need a bigger and better bag, if not a backpack, to tote it all. With the utility lens ... you simply need a neoprene wrap or even go ... naked.

Okay, I'm not saying it delivers the "knock out" images that the f/2.8s do ... it can't. But, in my experience, it delivers a decent enough image to qualify as "usable." If I need the extra pop from the glass ... then I know what to do. Go get the backpack! :rolleyes:

Anyway ... that's the package and it seems to work. Now, I need to do it for the SONY ... and then I will FINALLY have image stability for everything. Bring on the low-light! :D

Djzleite
04-11-2007, 01:03 PM
:D and me thinking i made a great deal on the kit :D well iŽll walk with them some time to get used.
18-70mm + 75+300mm

cgl88
05-07-2007, 12:47 PM
How much better are you finding the Tamron AF17-50 f2.8 compared to the kit lens? Is it worth the added weight and cost?

DonSchap
05-07-2007, 08:34 PM
The TAMRON SP AF17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD Aspherical (IF) is one of the best lens in its range ever produced. With that said, why don't you have one?

LOL :D

Enjoy your new TAMRON!