PDA

View Full Version : Vivitar 28-105mm f2.8 AF Zoom Lens

fos
04-10-2007, 10:04 AM
Don, what is your experience with this lens and/or brand? I am contemplating the possibility. Your experience and views are appreciated

DonSchap
04-10-2007, 10:47 AM
Don, what is your experience with this lens and/or brand? I am contemplating the possibility. Your experience and views are appreciated

Vivitar was kind of a knock-off brand for Korean lensing. Like Phoenix Gold, the brand name is indicative of rather reduced expectations. Certainly not the caliber we are used to seeing in the Canon, Minolta, Nikon or other major player's.

Can it deliver an image? Sure ... but the question is ... can it deliver the same image to a digital sensor as it did to 35-mm film. I would chance to say the differences WILL BE APPARENT.

The only thing you could quickly do is: price justify the lens. If you are buying it for a steal, then what the heck? $25, $35 even $45! If it provides some reasonable experience for a future consideration of a better version of the lens, why not? You could always give it to someone else to use, when you tire or are done with it.

Normally, with a lens like this the minmum focus distance can be substantial (4ft +) the zoom might be push-pull, which is a little more difficult to guage (serious zoom creep) the construction could be sloppy (you actually get a different image when you shutter twice) :eek:

Without it mounted, it's a tough call. Also look for internal dust in the lens.

Personally, I picked up a Phoenix 28-105mm f/2.8-3.8 lens ... and the above points that I've listed were important. I've looked on the Internet at the Vivitar and they do look quite similar. But, I got the darn thing for $6! :eek: Yes, price justified. LOL For goodness sake, don't pay the $147 they advertise it for, for this lens. or you are going to feel a bit taken.

Think of it as the answer to the following question: "Now, what lens should I take to the ... beach?" Yep, this one. No big loss when the sand-monster gets ya! :D

That's my two-cents ... where you getting it from? Store, ebay, friend?

fos
04-10-2007, 12:22 PM
price justify the lens... But, I got the darn thing for $6! :eek: Yes, price justified... where you getting it from? Store, ebay, friend?

Well, I guess I better stay out of it, this one is not that much price justified:D . I saw one on e-Bay (the 2.8 attracted me) but I had no knowledge of this brand.

The thing is I need a medium tele to substitute the piece of trash that the camera came with. So far all used Minolta lenses that I've bought have delivered. I guess I am asking you again for advice:o . Other choices are the Minolta Maxxum zoom AF 24-85mm (3.5-4.5), the Minolta MAXXUM Zoom AF 28-105mm (3.5-4.5) and others in the same league.

What do you reckon?

DonSchap
04-10-2007, 02:27 PM
Fret not, deals abound.

I got my $6 lens on ebay, because no one would bid on it. It didn't have a minimum, so I dropped a bid on it ... paid the postage (which cost more than the lens) and there you go!

If you stick with Minolta as the primary source of your lensing, I believe you'll find it quite useful and worth its price. I had a lot of the glass before I popped for my A100.

In my opinion, the best lens, right now, overall on the SONY A100 is the TAMRON AF18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 XR DiII LD Aspherical (IF). It covers all the bases, and while it isn't an f/2.8 lens, its main attraction is its one-lens-fits-all approach to casual photography. If you spend your money on this one lens, it really doesn't matter when or if you get anything else ... with the possible exception of the two PRIMES (50mm f/1.7 & 28mm f/2.8), just for "brightness" and wider aperture shooting.

I pick up my new TAMRON, today ... finally! The shop called and it's in. Let Spring begin ... now, I'm ready. :D