PDA

View Full Version : help with dark pics

charlie613
12-12-2004, 05:56 AM
Hi new to this forum and digital cameras also I recently bought a kodak dx7590 and am having trouble taking pictures of my daughter playing basketball in a well lit gym the pictures are very dark.I was told at Best Buy when I bought the camera it was pretty much point and shoot which is what I wanted, so is there some settings I need to adjust or is there something wrong with my camera. Thanks for any help

PhilR.
12-12-2004, 09:50 AM
The odds that something is wrong with your camera are small, but the odds that you are doing something beyond the capability of the camera are much greater. If you are using flash, then in all likelyhood you are shooting beyond the effective range of the flash, especially since you are shooting in a gym and there is no such thing as a small gym. No p&s flash will reach across a basketball court.

If you are using natural light, then what is most likely happening is that the lighting is below what the camera can expose with a shutter speed high enough to hand hold. When the lighting is that low, you have to do things such as increase ISO, increase aperture, or use a very high-power flash, which might not go over well with the other people in the gym.

I think the salesman did you somewhat of a disservice, if he/she told you that you could just point and shoot in a gym. Shooting in a large building is *not* within the realm of normal photography that can be easily handled by the auto setting of a p&s. If it were so, you wouldn't see professional photographers sitting at the baseline using equipment that costs many thousands of dollars. You need a camera with either an extremely fast lens, or with a very powerful flash, neither of which your camera has.

PhilR.

Cold Snail
12-12-2004, 11:36 AM
Just to add, if you were using flash the shutter speed would increase to 1/350-ish, when you may need 1/60 or less.
Try the ISO trick, but be prepared to learn the PASM modes to get the best from it.

Here's an extreme example taken with a DX6490. (I was in no rush)

M mode, ISO 80, f4.5 at 3 seconds. (No flash)

http://cold-snail.smugmug.com/photos/12502497-O.jpg

Fred16
12-20-2004, 05:33 AM
Don't know if this will make you feel any better or not, but my 7440 does the exact same thing. Even at 5 ft from the subject with the flash on. I also have read similar complaints on other forums about Kodak cameras shooting dark indoors. It almost acts like the timing on the flash is off, and the camera shoots before the flash activates. At least that is what the pictures look like.

It really ruins the camera. As a result, I am unable to shoot indoors. 3 out of 4 shots come out dark. Others are reporting similar problems. Kodak needs to fix this.

kpurcell
12-20-2004, 07:35 PM
It really ruins the camera. As a result, I am unable to shoot indoors. 3 out of 4 shots come out dark. Others are reporting similar problems. Kodak needs to fix this.

I am on my third Kodak Digicam. A DC 215, a DX 4900 and and now a 6490. The 215 did not seem to have this problem, but the other two are almost always dark in doors. It may be my inexperience but I cannot seem to fix this no matter how wide open the aperture is, or how slow I set shutter speed.

TheObiJuan
12-20-2004, 08:59 PM
I used to have that problem, I would suggest using a higher ISO, going to Manual mode, and open up the aperture to let more light in, then set the shutter to 1/40 to 1/100. if possible, increase the EV to the bottom right of the screen with your index finger on the gear button in front right of the camera. Push it in to make all of the changes in M mode. dont forget that it is important to get a clear picture without blur, most "dark" pictures can be fixed with photoshops fill in flash and other effects.
good luck. oh yeah, don't forget to prime the shutter by half-pressing the shutter button and paning the camera to follow the action.