PDA

View Full Version : Lens alternatives

oldgray
07-28-2004, 04:35 PM
I am upgrading from a complete Canon F1 and A1 SLR system with a full set of lenses to hopefully the Digital Rebel. I have also been told that none of the old FD lenses will work with the Digital Rebel even in a manual focusing mode assuming the FD lenses would even mount to the Digital Rebel ( set includes 15/2.8, 20/2.8, 24/2.8, 35/2.0. 50/3.5 Macro, 100/2.8, 200/2.8 and 85-300/4.5 zoom (real heavy weight). I am trying to decide between the Canon EF 28-200/f3.5-5.6 zoom lens and the Sigma EF with approximately the same specs. Has anyone any information as to which is better given that the Canon lens is about double the Sigma one.

I was originally planning to only have this zoom lens but someone suggested for the money to add the standard EF 18-55 zoom from Canon.

Any help and insight appreciated.

Thanks,

oldgray

jamison55
07-29-2004, 01:25 PM
Oldgray,

Yeah, it's a shame when you have a bunch of lenses that you have to ditch. When I bought my DReb, I traded my Pentax SLR and three manual lenses for an AF lens for the DReb...someting you may want to consider...

My low-cost lens suggestions are the lenses that I own. The kit lens is a no-brainer for $100. My second lens was the f1.8 50mm Mark II. It is sharp as a tack, and will set you back only $75 or so. With the 1.6x crop factor of the DReb it is a perfect portrait length of 80mm. My third lens is a Sigma 55-200mm f4-5.6 DC. I found it online for about $130, and it rounds out my kit by adding the 300mm equivalent zoom. It is remarkable sharp for the price. Here's a 100% crop of a few pictures I took yesterday of the man who is responsible for making such a mess of Boston this week... (taken with the Sigma)

D70FAN
08-03-2004, 11:29 AM
Oldgray,

Yeah, it's a shame when you have a bunch of lenses that you have to ditch. When I bought my DReb, I traded my Pentax SLR and three manual lenses for an AF lens for the DReb...someting you may want to consider...

My low-cost lens suggestions are the lenses that I own. The kit lens is a no-brainer for $100. My second lens was the f1.8 50mm Mark II. It is sharp as a tack, and will set you back only $75 or so. With the 1.6x crop factor of the DReb it is a perfect portrait length of 80mm. My third lens is a Sigma 55-200mm f4-5.6 DC. I found it online for about $130, and it rounds out my kit by adding the 300mm equivalent zoom. It is remarkable sharp for the price. Here's a 100% crop of a few pictures I took yesterday of the man who is responsible for making such a mess of Boston this week... (taken with the Sigma)

Nice shots, of a clueless victim...

Have you tried the Sigma 18-125? It looks too good to be a $269 lens, so maybe it is.