PDA

View Full Version : e-20n and memory cards - 4gb work?

corpse
04-05-2007, 03:26 PM
I have an E-20N and I've been using a normal older style 1gb sandisk memory card, which works great.... I just bought a sandisk cf ultra II 4gb memory card, and it won't work.. I formatted it on my computer in the card reader, but the camera says "card error"...

If this memory card won't work, what is the biggest size I can get? I see for memory not labeled as ultra II or extreme, that CF memory goes up to 2 gigs, is that hte limit, or is there a trick to getting ultra II memory working?..

Thanks

kgosden
04-05-2007, 07:49 PM
Your problem maybe from formatting it in your computer. By default XP (I am assuming here) will use a format that is probably not compatible with your camera. When you select format was FAT32 displayed under 'File System'? Most cameras of your vintage only support the older FAT (or FAT16) structure. Can you format the card in the camera? This is always the prefered choice anyway.

corpse
04-05-2007, 09:38 PM
well, to update a little more.. I went to wolf camera, where they suggested the lexar card - so I got a 4gig 133x.. same frickin problem - "Card Error"...

This time, I did not format it in my computer, as it was already "formatted" since the memory card had some software to install (image recovery crap).. I tried to format it in my camera, first, but it gave me an error.

Also, on my computer, when I open the format dialog box, I don't have an option to format at FAT16 - only 32... so if my e-20n doesn't support fat32, what am I supposed to do? Did this wolf camera guy just blow smoke up my a55 to get my to buy his last memory card?

Riley
04-06-2007, 07:21 AM
i dont know corpse, but you might be dead in the water with this one
thats a very old camera for such a large card
im thinking compatibility issue

cheers

corpse
04-09-2007, 01:12 PM
thanks for the input.. I guess because of the age, the E-20N is just a standard FAT, so only 2 gig and lower will work - as all 4gb memory cards are FAT32..

Although I did find that the fast speed of the pro cards seem to be just hype.. I got a 2 gb 133x lexar pro card, and it's barely faster than my old 1gb sandisk card - a bit disappointing for the price, but eh well...

kgosden
04-09-2007, 07:32 PM
Well, high speed cards are not all hype. While the E20 was a high end camera when new it might not be able to move data as fast as the best cards of today.