PDA

View Full Version : needing a new digi cam

Crunchie
07-28-2004, 04:02 PM
Hullo all I currently have a minolta Dimage E223 and I'm finding it just doesnt do the job for me any more.

My action pictures are all a bit blurry.
Pictures I take in indoor rock concerts aren't good unless I somehow get to the front row. Having the flash on makes the pictures dark and having it off makes them way too blurry.
Also the zoom is getting a bit tried and tested and not really good enough for close up shots of my animals etc.

I need a camera that can cope with the lighting in a rock concert
decent zoom, perhaps one with the capability of having lense attachments would be an idea.
Needs to be reasonably small so I can actually get it into a rock concert
Pref runs on the AA batteries I have lying about

here's an example picture from one of my concerts to show the kind of lighting it'd have to deak with. My far away shots were OK but the close ups of the band members weren't the sharpest as you can see...

http://www.onef-forums.co.uk/Runrig/runrig005.jpg
This one shows all the lovely lighting etc and is fairly sharp

http://www.onef-forums.co.uk/Runrig/runrig006.jpg
My close ups however I think could be sharper

Crunchie
07-28-2004, 04:30 PM
Thinking along the lines of the minolta Dimage Z2 as the minolta cameras are a name I'm familiar with and am pretty confident about them. Anyone have any opinions?

Jake Conner
07-28-2004, 04:40 PM
Those really aren't bad, but if you want sharper, you want something stabilized. If you want to stick with Minolta, that means waiting for the Z3, which i think is due out in september.

Jake

John_Reed
07-28-2004, 04:58 PM
Those really aren't bad, but if you want sharper, you want something stabilized. If you want to stick with Minolta, that means waiting for the Z3, which i think is due out in september.

Jake
I've seen a couple of photos from the Z3, and they're reasonably good; no low-light shots are available yet to my knowledge. One thing that struck me was that I wasn't sure that it would be possible to extend the lens in the telephoto direction, the way it protrudes so far when turned on. I could be wrong here. I do know from my FZ experience that the 420mm focal length it has should give you plenty of reach without extenders. It's just a matter of image quality and lens speed as to whether it will fully satisfy you. I'd think you'd want to stay away from using flash in clubs; you'll be far enough away that it won't contribute much to the lighting, and yet you'll still be able to irritate those folks around you! As an alternative, with a faster lens, the Panasonic DMC-FZ10 has the reach, and their new DMC-FZ3 (supposedly available in August) will also have the reach, at a lower price. (MSRP $399.95)

Crunchie
07-29-2004, 11:44 AM
seriously swaying towards the Z2 as I had a look at the Panasonic DMC-FZ10 and the price tag attached to it is slightly out of my range. :eek: In all seriousness would the Z2 be a marked improvement and how much would the Z3 likely be?