PDA

View Full Version : New to the forum....

rpenta
03-29-2007, 10:43 AM
Hello, my name is Rick and I just wanted to introduce myself to the Sony world.

I've been an avid phototaker (wouldn't quite call myself a photographer) using a DSC-V1, and as such a lerker here on the DC forums. Between the various other forums I frequent along with posts/topics from Don Schap I have stepped up and purchased an A100K from Calumet (for a great price may I add). Sadly enough I've had it for about a week now and am just starting to play with.

That said, the interface is very similar to the DSC-V1. Obviously there are differences and more advanced features with the A100 but in a nutshell it's easy to use. However, I'm also one to venture into all the menu's and read the manual before getting heads deep into taking pictures.

Once I start taking worthwhile photographs I'll post them, let the critiquing begin. It's the only way to truly become a better end user.

Thanks,

Rick

p.s. Don Schap thanks again for all your reviews, it's greatly appreciated :).

DonSchap
03-30-2007, 09:40 PM
Thanks for voicing your thoughts with your first posting, "rpenta." I appreciate your accolades and look forward to tossing findings back and forth.

Along those lines, over the past eight months, I have spent a lot of time going back and forth between the capabilities of the Canon EOS 20D and the SONY A100. Each camera has exciting aspects to it and it would be something if they could be blended together. It makes it tough to decide with one to use, sometimes.

I have found that the Canon, from time to time, comes up with an incredible image. Then I'll break out the SONY for the same shot ... and note how far down in shutter-speed I can go to get that image, too. The beauty of a slow shutter is low light saturation to the sensor. I can actually get a richer level of color.

Don't get me wrong, the EOS 20D is no slouch in this regard, but you just have to introduce a tripod (or some other stabilizing force) more often to do it under 1/60th of a second. If you don't have both cameras working side by side, you cannot possibly appreciate these subtleties between them. That being said, I know you will come to know and appreciate the SONY A100 for this unique ability. Coupled with an f/2.8-aperture capable lens ... it will deliver images with a simple lens that you just couldn't get out with a non-image stabilized combination.

If you can get your hands on a Minolta 50mm f/1.7 lens (about $35 on ebay), set up a candlelit scene ... set your camera to Ap Mode ... set your ISO to 800 ... aperture to f/1.7 or f/2.8 ... handheld ... "Super SteadyShot" ON ... and take the shot. Then ... shut "Super SteadyShot" OFF and do it, again! I believe that you will truly appreciate the difference.
:D

Just some fun stuff to consider ... when it's raining ... and the lights go out. :eek:

fos
04-08-2007, 09:38 AM
Welcome:). Hope you enjoy your stay here.