PDA

View Full Version : Images From China -Great Wall/Bund

Telecorder
03-23-2007, 11:55 AM
Thought others might be interested in viewing some of my images taken on a recent trip to China. We were part of a 200+ person group with the San Luis Obispo, CA Chamber of Commerce guided Business Development Tour that flew over 3 Mar 2007 and returned 11 Mar 2007.

The first 1,000 or so of my 5,500 images taken have now been posted at my newly created Galleries at -- http://telecorder.smugmug.com/

Most of my images were taken with my D50 but about 10% were with my Pany FZ30.

I toook over 37-GBs/~5,500+ -- separate D50 & FZ30 images (>10,000 RAW+JPG files) during our whirlwind 9-Day bus tour (7 days in country; 2-days in flight) to Beijing, Suzhou, Hangzhou and Shanghai. Left LAX at Sat 1:30AM and arrived to snow in Beijing Sun 6:30-AM -- 12-hour flight through 16-time zones. Rest of the tour saw pretty good - great weather except for haze/fog/some drizzle in Shanghai for the last full day/nite in China (of course, that's when we went to the Bund waterfront; next morning with a noon departure to the airport was a glorious blue sky!).

I've spent seven days uploading, organizing and doing quick Picasa2 post processing of the initial 1,000 or so images taken from the Temple of Heaven and the Great Wall through our Wed flight into Shanghai. I've posted these low ~100-kb resolution, quickly processed images on my new Smugmug account for those who wish to view. They're in my Travel Gallery.

It looks like it'll be a bunch more days of sorting/processing and posting to get all of the remaining ~ 4,500 additional images addressed.

All in all it was an experience of a lifetime for someone who's never been further out of the US than Ensenada, Mexico.... As I go through the rest of the images and get them grouped, I'll post additional galleries covering the individual venues we went through plus some galleries of my 'shoot-from-the-hip and 'through-the-bus-windows' images of the passing streets/scenery/people, as well. A lot of the photo style was dictated by the 'highlight' fast-paced tour we were on with the Chamber of Commerce. Excellently organized and operated by Citslic International.

Anyone planning on going for the Summer 2008 Beijing Olympics best plan on spending a lot of time at a single venue as there are more photo opportunities than one can imagine. Our whirlwind highlight tour saw us hitting as many as 6-7 different venues in a 10-12 hour day. I averaged between 4-10 GB SD of cards up loaded each nite. Used a Wolverine MVP 60-GB PSD for backup of images so I could format the 4 - 2-GB and 2 - 1-GB SD cards for the next day. I had both my D50 and Pany FZ30 so I used a bit more memory than most probably would.

Since we received a coupon for a free photo book when we got our passports, I plan on using the following image on the title page to show through the cover's opening... quite apropo I believe...
http://telecorder.smugmug.com/photos/136046682-M.jpg

We really lucked out with the weather as the forecasted day of arrival rains was really snow. Didn't really help for taking images at the Temple of Heaven but I still was able to get a few. The front blew through overnight so the rest of the week was almost perfect for photos with little to minimal haze/dust/smog at most all sites during the entire 7-days in country.

My D50 + Nikkor 18-70 DX lens was used predominately. A few times I wish I had something a bit wider. Since we were rushed through 5-7 venues each day, there wasn't a lot of time to set up and take images, much less change lenses. I was able to use the 70-300 Tamron at the West Lake to good use. I also used my 35 f/2 a couple of times.

All in all, though, the 18-70 DX Nikon was my bread winner with good results. The SB-600 also earned its fare at a number of sites. The 18-200 VR lens would probably be the way to go if I were to go again on this type of fast-paced 'highlight' tour. I had to revert back to my birding mentality of going with Auto-Program and letting the camera set the settings for me in most cases. My one big regret was overlooking setting Auto-ISO, or maybe 400-ISO for the night time Bund Waterfront images... I missed a lot of great money-shots due to using manual handheld at 1/15-seconds and f/3.5....
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d73/Telecorder/CHINA/DSC_1659Medium.jpg

My Pany FZ30 gave me some great shots during the flight home over Alaska...
http://telecorder.smugmug.com/photos/137339587-L.jpg

jcon
03-23-2007, 02:27 PM
Nice photos Dave! Im very lazy so only thumbed through a few of the galleries. Looks like it was an amazing trip. Too bad they rushed you through it, though.

Sounds like you have alot of pictures to go through:eek: :eek: and I thought 600 for a wedding was alot!

I think the people over on the Nikon DSLR forum would really enjoy seeing these too;)

Thanks again for sharing!

Mike63
03-23-2007, 04:08 PM
Wow these are nice, those I looked at anyway. That's a lot of photo's is your finger/hand numb? What did you do for batteries?

Telecorder
03-24-2007, 08:04 AM
Wow these are nice, those I looked at anyway. That's a lot of photo's is your finger/hand numb? What did you do for batteries?

Actually, I'm more of a 'birder' shooting Bald Eagles, Red Tail Hawks etc so burst mode and lots of images come naturally... I actually didn't use burst mode but did a lot of point n shhot imaging. There's just so many photo opps nearly everywhere one goes so it was easy to shoot a lot of images. All in all, there were very, very few images that didn't turn out.

I brought 3 batteries for my D50 and 3 for my FZ30. The D50 gets awesome battery life but I still wound up having to use a second battery on some days. Being on the bus for 10-12 hours each day, I didn't want to be out of luck with dead batteries.

I shot maybe 500 images overall with the Pany but its battery consumption is a lot higher. Each night, I filled all of the outlets with chargers for the camera batteries and the SB-600 flash while I uploaded the day's SD cards to the PSD units.

I brought 4 - 2-GB and 2 - 1-GB SD cards (10-GB) of memory and, a couple of times, am glad that I did.