PDA

View Full Version : Olympus C-755

ProfeJim
07-28-2004, 09:32 AM
:confused:
Is there anyone with information or experience with the Olympus C-755? As far as I can tell, it's available only through Costco online. Any leads would be appreciated!

David Metsky
07-29-2004, 07:09 AM
I believe I read here at some point that it's just Costco's branding of the C-750.

-dave-

nellybly
07-29-2004, 04:19 PM
Hi,
I ordered the Costco Camera, but ended up returning it, as it is not really the C-755, as it is described in the Olympus News Release :
http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/news/2003b/nr031007pictbe.cfm .
It also has a lot more plastic content than the C-750, and does not come with all of the accessories the C-750 comes with.
Not sure how Costco and Olympus get away with this, but I was very disappointed.
HTH,
NB

CuongMC
08-25-2004, 06:55 AM
Acctually i've just bought one C-755 Ultra Zoom, but i was really disappointed about its images quality.

i've setted it with the highest quality of image
(2288 x 1712 / SHQ: Approx. 5 images,HQ: Approx. 16 images)
as Olympus has talk about that in the guide book.

But when i try to take some photo, they're all really terrible, just like i've just taken these images from an webcam!!!! :confused:

Anyone has experience in this C755 model, please help me!

Thanks in advance.

CuongMC
tacteanh@yahoo.com

David Metsky
08-25-2004, 09:30 AM
Can you post some images for us to see? How is the quality bad? What mode were you taking pictures in?

-dave-

sake199
08-26-2004, 01:47 AM
Fry's (Outpost.com) has these C-755's !http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4097932#detailed

I've seen it in store. It's black and it's gorgeous!
I didn't really compare them, but I noticed that the LCD is smaller than C-765. It's also got a hot-shoe.

They're almost $100 cheaper, and I wonder why. Specs look similar to C-765.

If dcresource could do a review on them, that'd be awesome!

wags
08-29-2004, 10:53 AM
Olympus C-755
Lots of you have apparently been thinking about buying new digital cameras: lately, we've seen a big spike in searches for cameras in general as well as for specific models. One of the latter that caught our eye is the Olympus C-755. The reason: the C-755 isn't sold in America; this upgrade to the C-750 has been announced in Japan but not yet in the States. So why the sudden interest? Turns out that Costco included something it called the C-755 in a recent coupon book with an advertised price of $379. (As we write, it's listed for $479 on Costco.com.) Was it a typo? Is it really the C-755? You'll have to ask Costco.

I saw both 765 and 755 at Fry's and noticed that the LCD was smaller on the 775 and it was bulkier.

Patti
12-07-2004, 01:41 PM
I just purchased a 755UZ from Costco 2 days ago, and then I found this forum and went into a panic. I then found some other forums that had similar information, so I had to email Costco and Olympus.

Costco answered 1st, and they said that they 100% guarantee all of their merchandise. They also suggested that I write to Oly, which I already did.

I just received an email back from Oly, and here is their response:

"Dear Sir/Mam,

We value you as an Olympus customer and appreciate the opportunity to assist you with this situation.
The C-755 is the same camera as the C-750. The only difference is that the C-755 does not come with a remote controland the C-750 does come with the remote control. The C-755 can only be found at Costco locations.

**Photography Tip: When the sun is behind you beware that your own shadow doesn't creep into
the picture**

This is your Email Response Tracking Number : XXXXXX. Please use this number if you need to refer to this email for further assistance. You can also browse our website by visiting http://www.olympusamerica.com/

Regards,

Dan
Digital Technical Support
Olympus Imaging America, Inc.

Boy OH Boy ! I feel better now. YIPEEEE!
:)

gb_in_ga
02-07-2005, 07:50 AM
I got a C-755UZ from Outpost.com about a month ago for $249 -- a great deal, IMHO. I broke it out of the box and tried it out just around the house, taking some assorted kitty pics. My first impressions using the camera with the default settings were as you described, CuongMC. I am used to using an older 1.3 MP Olympus D-460 Zoom, which is not nearly as sophisticated and yet is easier to use as a "point and shoot", the auto-focus of that older model seems to be much more robust. What struck me as odd about the C-755UZ was that some pics seemed to turn out pretty good and others not so good. So I started digging through the documentation. What struck me right off hand was that the hard copy documentation that came in the box was woefully inadequate. Ah, but the full blown docs actually are available as a .PDF, both on the supplied CD as well as on the Olympus website. Reading over that much better set of docs gave me the info I needed to work around the problems. From what I can tell, the problems I was having were twofold:

First, I was trying to take pictures too close and needed to put the camera in macro mode -- it was failing to auto-focus close in. As I found this out, I went back and tried the same thing with the old D-460, and found that I got better results with that one as well. So, it turns out that problem really wasn't the camera, it was the shooter.

Second, for some reason the camera was failing to focus on subjects that were in intermediate range, especially when there wasn't much in the way of "Vertical Contrast" for it to lock in on. Once I found out how to manual focus that problem was solved. Since my 35mm SLR is an old manual focus model (a Minolta X-700), that isn't really a big problem for me. I find range estimation to be easy, so all I have to do is just estimate the range to the subject, kick it into manual focus, set the range and shoot. Simple.

In both cases, it seems that I had just gotten spoiled with my old manual focus SLR, where if I focus on it, it will take a (reasonably) good picture! Assuming, of course, that I got the exposure right and the depth of field right and the composition right and ...

Anyway, that seems to have cleared up my "Bad Picture" problems that I was attributing to the camera itself. I just found that I have to respect the camera's limitations and use the available workarounds, and I can live with that.

Oh, and one other thing I noticed -- it does seem to spend more time "Searching" for the correct focus than my old D-460 does, even when it gets it right. It seems that I read somewhere that UZ type cameras are prone to this -- and not just those from Olympus. My take on this is that you either have to live with it or just use manual focus. I'd say that if response time was critical (like with an action shot), it would be better to manually set the focus to the pre-determined range and bypass the auto-focus entirely.

BTW -- I found that the external flash that I already had for my old Minolta SLR -- a Vivitar 550FD -- works with this DigiCam. No, it doesn't use the Olympus sensors in TTL mode (even though this flash is supposed to support Olympus SLR's), but it has it's own sensor which works in A1 and A2 auto modes just fine, just follow the external flash instructions on the full version of the docs that are on the CD. You do have to put the camera in manual mode and set ISO, aperture and shutter speed, but that isn't such a big deal, the flash tells you what aperture setting to use given your selected ISO, and I just set the shutter speed for 1/60, like I would usually do with a film camera, the results turn out good. The only hassle is that the flash doesn't support ISO 50, the slowest it supports is 64. No big deal, just choose another one, like 100 or 200, or 400 if I need the extra depth of field. I find that this flash does have enough power to do indoor bounce flashes, which is nice.