PDA

View Full Version : My first camera and i would like a good one.

nburge
03-18-2007, 10:40 AM
budget

* What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible.
"i am able to spend as much as 500$ but prefer 2-400 price range unless i can only get what i want for 500."

Size

* What size camera are you looking for? Or does size not matter at all to you?
"i love the small pocketcams but the size of the cannon s3 or g7 doesntlook to bad for an example of whats acceptable to me.''
Features

How many megapixels will suffice for you?
"6-10 dont need 10 mp but won't turn it down either"

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x, Other - Specify)
"not sure mostly i will be taking shots at theme parks and zoos so i will need enough zoom for that, I will be taking alot ofpics of my daughter and i will want close ups "
* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10)
"10 this is the single most important thing for me"

Do you care for manual controls?
yes but not important unless i need it for absolute quality
General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for?
people ,animals, themeparks,close ups
* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?
not likely
Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?
some
Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?
no sports just my 2 year old and theme park stuff
Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate?
i am set on a cannon
Are there particular models you already have in mind?
sd700,a630,a640,a710,sd600,a570 im leaning towards sd800is or s3 or even if i work some more ot i can afford the g7.

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)
i like image stabilization was told i should always tryto buy a model with it.

"Heres what i want in order of importance to me"
cannons only
1 the camera with the best image quality" MOST IMPORTANT TO ME"
2 a nice lcd screen size and hi res " second most important"
3 reasonably fast camera
4 image stablization would be nice,not sure if i need it?

Visual Reality
03-18-2007, 12:42 PM
I'd say Canon S3 based on your input. I may be a bit biased though ;)

I chose it for a lot of the same reasons. The 4x zoom on my Fuji E550 was just not enough for me, shooting at Zoos (a lot), airshows, and other things. I had to have the 12x zoom. I didn't see this as one of your top-priorities but I would make it one. The flip-out screen on the S3 is great because you can flip it around to hide the screen when storing it. It uses 4 batteries and can therefore go long periods of time (i'm told 400-500 shots with good batteries) before running out of juice. It can also take some great macro and close-up shots.

I'm not an expert so others may have differing opinions...but I'd recommend the S3, with an adapter to fit a circular polarizer for those really bright days out at the Zoo and Theme Parks.

hokeyguy
03-18-2007, 12:52 PM
I agree that the S3 seems to fit your needs and budget nicely. You can find them for around $350 currently. With a 1GB SD card and a rechargeable battery setup you will still be within budget. Check out the S3 photo thread for a huge amount of sample images to see what it's capable of.

http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21728

nburge
03-18-2007, 02:18 PM
I'd say Canon S3 based on your input. I may be a bit biased though ;)

I'm not an expert so others may have differing opinions...but I'd recommend the S3, with an adapter to fit a circular polarizer for those really bright days out at the Zoo and Theme Parks.

I don't know what that is but i'm sure i will need one do you have a link or part number for one?

Visual Reality
03-18-2007, 05:40 PM
I agree that the S3 seems to fit your needs and budget nicely. You can find them for around $350 currently. With a 1GB SD card and a rechargeable battery setup you will still be within budget. Check out the S3 photo thread for a huge amount of sample images to see what it's capable of.

http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21728
If you plan on using the S3's awesome movie mode you should get a 4gb card. Currently the best buy is the Transcend 4gb SD 150x card for only $39 at Newegg. The price/gb is unbeatable.