PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a Olympus e 330

BLACK KRYPTONITE
03-14-2007, 09:40 AM
I recently bought an Olympus E 330 with an 18-180mm. I have a few final questions before I go out and get some more accessories.

I'd like to get a few filters for the lens. What size do I need? Brands? Style?

Good memory cards? Pros & Cons to the styles?

Any other general suggestions would be great.

This is my first DSLR and I cannot wait to start target practice.

Gary24
03-14-2007, 11:41 AM
I recently bought an Olympus E 330 with an 18-180mm. I have a few final questions before I go out and get some more accessories.

I'd like to get a few filters for the lens. What size do I need? Brands? Style?

Good memory cards? Pros & Cons to the styles?

Any other general suggestions would be great.

This is my first DSLR and I cannot wait to start target practice.

Olympus 18-180 uses 62mm filters. Personally all I have bought is a UV to protect the lens from scratching and impact (I bought Tiffen).

In my E500 I have a Sandisk Extreme III 2 gig card that I got on sale with a rebate. It is plenty fast enough for how I shoot.

What I have been doing (this is my first DSLR as well) is looking through the manual and finding some option that I don't really understand or sounds interesting (like exposure bracketing or in camera Black and White) and go out and shoot some pictures ( I shot 80 at lunch yesterday) and review them. Look at the info that each picture captures to remember what you were doing and what the effects of the changes are. Most of all go out and have fun. If you don't like the pic it is real easy to delete them :)

Riley
03-14-2007, 08:48 PM
probably the only filters to consider are a UV for lens protection
and this mostly to protect the coating on the lens
A polariser can useful where there is strong contrast or to richen colours in a scene, but still not really necessary.

Filter diameters are always written on the lens

good brands are Tiffen and Hoya

get good cards and be prepared to pay for them, this is your film

just use the camera and get familiar with the menus
have a look around much like Gary is doing and experiment

>Gary
I guess the black and white is self explanatory, but exposure bracketing gives you 3 frames. There should be a setting to say how far it brackets in stops, ie. 1/3 stop, 2/3 stop, 1 stop (ev). The 3 frames are then shot when you hit the shutter, first is on the set exposure, second below by (-ev) third above by (+ev). It is used where exposure looks critical or is difficult to judge due to high contrast scene etc.

Gary24
03-15-2007, 04:31 AM
>Gary
I guess the black and white is self explanatory, but exposure bracketing gives you 3 frames. There should be a setting to say how far it brackets in stops, ie. 1/3 stop, 2/3 stop, 1 stop (ev). The 3 frames are then shot when you hit the shutter, first is on the set exposure, second below by (-ev) third above by (+ev). It is used where exposure looks critical or is difficult to judge due to high contrast scene etc.

Riley...Yeah I spent the last 2 days messing around with it and I have a better feel for it now. I always felt that my pics were under exposed (always seemed to lighten them in elements) but even a +1/3 seemed to over expose too much. The E500 allows you to pick how much you want to bracket by and anything over 1/3 was too much for what I was shooting. Good learning tool if nothing else.

BLACK KRYPTONITE
03-15-2007, 09:42 AM
I did manage to get a uv filter yesterday from the local camera shop.
I ordered a sandisk 4gb extreme IV that should be here within a week.

Now I'm looking to purchase a small XD card. I only want a 256mb one to hold me over for the next 7 day and have it in case I want to take a panoramic shot.

Which xD card should I get? They have H and M. Any info on what the H and M means?

I'm looking forward to taking some pictures when I get off of work so please offer any help or direction you can. :D

pas49ras
03-15-2007, 11:34 AM
Which xD card should I get? They have H and M. Any info on what the H and M means?

Its just the speed rating in XD terms...M cards have a 2.5mb/s write speed and H cards have a 4.0 mb/s write speed. I would chose a H card, M's are slow

BLACK KRYPTONITE
03-15-2007, 08:37 PM
Thanks for all the info!
I borrowed a compactflash car from my younger brother and I'm in business for the time being.