PDA

View Full Version : Camera For An Airshow

TexasRanger14
03-13-2007, 08:08 PM
I was wanting a camera for someone who is ignorant in most areas of a camera. I need one at about $400 or less that has a good zoom and can take pictures of planes. I don't know too much about megpixels but i was told that I need one about 6.0 or higher. Any sugesstions would be helpful. One that can be upgraded is good because I could buy a better zoom later. I am just looking for a basic camera that will take good zoomed shots of airplanes, jets and prop planes.

reppans
03-13-2007, 08:15 PM
Canon S3 IS

Visual Reality
03-14-2007, 03:03 AM
Agreed, the S3 is a must because of the 12x zoom. I always needed more zoom at airshows and now I have it. Will be cool to see how much it helps.

You can get it for $329 now and a 4gb Transcend card is $39.

DonSchap
03-14-2007, 07:33 AM
The Canon PowerShot S3 IS is a reasonable camera for this, but remember its inherent "shutter lag" is a cruel reality, also. Do not try to get a high speed pass of a supersonic jet with this, it just cannot keep up, nor was it designed to.

Buy it and have fun! :D

BTW: You may want to consider the 58mm adapter collar and a 58mm Circular Polarizer-filter, to bring out and capture those nifty blue skies and clouds.

Visual Reality
03-14-2007, 04:18 PM
I'm not sure it will be a huge deal. I got decent aerial shots with only a Fuji E550, see here:

Airshow pics (http://s90.photobucket.com/albums/k245/BlackHawk2k6/Air%20Show/)

Those were taken with an ISO of 100 or 200 (can't remember) and on full auto mode. The camera only has 4x Optical Zoom and I did not use digital because I don't like it. Some of them I think you will find quite acceptable for the camera used.

The S3 should be surely better :cool: