PDA

View Full Version : CANON A630 (how to use it)

Arrielle1977
03-10-2007, 09:39 PM
Hello
I am new in using digital cameras. My last camera was an old Russian one, Zenit 11 :). I donít thank that many even heard about it.

Anyway, Iíve just bought a new digital camera, a CANON A630. I am trying to see the quality of the pictures but I donít know how to use it very well .

My problem is the fact that I donít know how to set the camera to take pictures of very small and close objects (some rows in a book, for instance)
When I use the zoom the image becomes blurred to that point that on the LCD I just see a white image.
Can somebody gives me some advices in this matter?

Thank you

SpecialK
03-11-2007, 12:45 AM
Use a tripod of some sort (even the tiny ones help on a small camera) to minimize shake if that is causing the blur.

Use the "Macro" or flower symbol to get closer - you might be too close for the normal focus range - again causing a blurry image.

And read the manual about the above items :-)

Arrielle1977
03-11-2007, 09:32 AM
Thank you for your help.
I have the manual but I wanted to take different pictures in time just to see if I keep the camera or return it.

It would be great if you could give me some websites where it showes how to use a digital camera. (this one). The manual is very intricate and I jumped from a totaly manual camera, with film, without a LCD or any digital information, to this one which looks like a plane board.

Thank you again

SpecialK
03-11-2007, 11:52 AM
Hi:

Jeff's camera review (it's in the buyers guide at the top of this page) is a good overview of the camera features.

No website can really cover all the different cameras. Much of it is reading the manual and trying the settings.

The A630 is a great camera.

Arrielle1977
03-15-2007, 09:35 AM
Hello SpecialK
Every day I learn something new about my new camera. But I decided to buy a new memory card because the one sold with the camera is very small : only 16 GB ( I think ) .
What memory card would you advice me to buy?
And how big it should be?

Thank you for your help.

AlexMonro
03-15-2007, 02:56 PM
Hi Arrielle!

I used to have a Zenit B years ago.:D

Your supplied memry card was probably 16MB - Megabytes. I'd suggest getting a 512MB or 1GB (Gigabyte - 1024MB) card - enough for around 140 - 280 pictures at best quality. Bigger than that and it gets hard keeping track of the pictures you've taken! It might be an idea to get 2 smaller cards rather than 1 big one, then there's less risk of losing all your pictures if there's a problem.

Brands I've used have been Sandisk, Kingston, Fuji & Olympus - never had any problems. I wouldn't use an ultra cheapo brand myself.

A suggestion to reduce the risk of a corrupted card - don't use the "delete" function. When you've downloaded your pictures, use the "format" function in the camera to wipe everything clean. This does a simple operation to clear the card rather than the more complex individual delete operation, and appears to be less likely to result in a corrupted card.

Keep trying things out on your camera - there's a lot to learn all at once!:D

bascom
03-15-2007, 03:49 PM
It might be an idea to get 2 smaller cards rather than 1 big one, then there's less risk of losing all your pictures if there's a problem.

Good advice. I have an A610 with 512MB card and have never come close to filling up the card. I could get by with a 256MB card. I'd say get a 512MB or 1GB, whichever is cheaper.

Arrielle1977
03-15-2007, 05:02 PM
A suggestion to reduce the risk of a corrupted card - don't use the "delete" function. When you've downloaded your pictures, use the "format" function in the camera to wipe everything clean. This does a simple operation to clear the card rather than the more complex individual delete operation, and appears to be less likely to result in a corrupted card.
Keep trying things out on your camera - there's a lot to learn all at once!:D[/QUOTE]

I was thinking of a SANDISK of 2 GB, but if you say that 1 GB it's enough I will buy that one. As I mentioned before I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING about digital cameras and any adivice is more than wellcomed.

Anorther thing that is not quite clear for me is the deleting part.
Do you sugest that instead of usige ERASE ALL function ( after I downloaded the pictures on my computer) should I use de FORMAT function?

Can you alos tell me what ISO means? Changing the ISO values, what do I obtain?

Thank you for your help

SpecialK
03-15-2007, 07:52 PM
I think the movie mode in the A630 is limited to 1gig for an 8-1/2 minute movie, so that is really the "practical" upper limit for the card. That size is fairly reasonably priced.

I use these:

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-SDSDH-1024-901-Secure-Digital-Package/dp/B00065AO0K/ref=sr_1_2/002-7117999-0909647?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1174009252&sr=1-2

I've collected 5 of them :-) I've never heard of the place that sells them for $13.00, however. they probably charge $10 for shipping :-) Even $22.99 from Amazon is pretty good. And free shipping over $25, so buy 2 of them.

I haven't used my A620 in a long time but I think I was getting 307 shots (highest quality) on that card. Even shooting RAW with my Pentax I get 93 per card.

As far as deleting images goes, I format the card at the beginning of the day I go out to shoot. Then, maybe once or twice during the day as I double check images, I will delete the obvious bad ones, especially if they are like from a burst of action shots. Hopefully I'll get some more good shots on the card before I have to change it.

"ISO" I think comes from International Standards Organization, but it is used essentially the same way "ASA" is used in film designations. The higher the number, more more sensitivity to light, and therefore a faster shutter or smaller aperture can be used, at the trade off of increased noise (noise is digital "grain".)

Arrielle1977
03-15-2007, 09:23 PM
Good website. I will buy the card tomorrow.

So when the light is very powerfull should I use a ISO highen number ?
A very suny summer day would request for a high ISO number?

SpecialK
03-15-2007, 10:11 PM
Good website. I will buy the card tomorrow.

So when the light is very powerfull should I use a ISO highen number ?
A very suny summer day would request for a high ISO number?

Normally, you want to use as LOW an ISO as possible for a smoother image. I'm not sure if the A630 goes below 100, but 100 or 200 is usually good in bright light, perhaps 400 in late afternoon or lower light. In really poor light you might have to go as high as possible, but you will easily notice the image is...not so good.

Try the same shot (like of something in shade outdoors) at the low, middle and high ISO value and see for yourself. Try it again inside, of say a desk and lamp. You will see the difference in quality.

Remember to try and brace the camera against something (like a doorway or table) if possible in low light as it will minimize the shake - remember there is no stabilization with the A630.

It does not cost anything to take a lot of pictures like film does - so try different things and see how you like it.

Arrielle1977
03-18-2007, 04:48 PM
Hi SpecialK
Thanks for your help.

Can you explain to me what a digital zoom is and what an optical zoom is and also how do they work?

There is an email address whene I could send you some pictures to get an opinion?

Thanks

Arrielle1977
03-18-2007, 04:53 PM
hi again

I have in my menu a feature : DIGIAT ZOOM: with 4 options :
standard,
off,
1.6X ,
2.0X.

Which of these should I select and what is the diference between them.
:)
Thank you

SpecialK
03-18-2007, 06:12 PM
Hi Arrielle:

Optical zoom is the magnification you get from the lens itself. You can "zoom" from wide angle to telephoto. That is the best way, and is one reason why "ultrazoom" lenses (such as "10X zoom") are popular.

Digital zoom is processing by the camera which essentially "blows up" the central portion of the image to some degree. In the extreme case, the pixels (dots) which make up the image start to look like dots, which is bad.

Some cameras, such as the A630 claim to have good digital zoom, but I think any of that type is not so good :-)

You can resize your photo (make a copy first) to about 800 pixels in the longest dimension using Zoom Browser I think, then you can post it here for comments.

Chrisku13
03-18-2007, 08:06 PM
Arrielle, I also have a Canon A630, and have gotten to know it almost completely. If you have any questions specific to this camera, or want to see some sample pictures, feel free to ask.

Arrielle1977
03-19-2007, 07:01 PM
Hi Chrisku13
Let's exchange pictures on email if you want. I have some and posting here on forum , would be too much.
I don't know if it's a practice here to exchange emails....I hope you don't mind.
my email is the same like my name here, on yahoo.com

Arrielle1977
03-20-2007, 08:23 AM
Hi Arrielle:

Optical zoom is the magnification you get from the lens itself. You can "zoom" from wide angle to telephoto. That is the best way, and is one reason why "ultrazoom" lenses (such as "10X zoom") are popular.

You can resize your photo (make a copy first) to about 800 pixels in the longest dimension using Zoom Browser I think, then you can post it here for comments.

So The optical zoom is that one you control with the button from the top of the camera and makes lenses to move?
This is a picture took yesterday in AUTO mode.

bascom
03-20-2007, 08:39 AM
The button on the top left is the shutter button. The lever in front of the shutter button is the zoom lever you use to control optical zoom and move the lens. This should all be explained in the instruction manual with diagrams.

Your closeup photo looks great. You're on your way. Make sure the flash is off when you take close ups of people so you don't blind them.

Arrielle1977
04-11-2007, 07:26 AM
[QUOTE=SpecialK;207755]I think the movie mode in the A630 is limited to 1gig for an 8-1/2 minute movie, so that is really the "practical" upper limit for the card. That size is fairly reasonably priced.

I use these:

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-SDSDH-1024-901-Secure-Digital-Package/dp/B00065AO0K/ref=sr_1_2/002-7117999-0909647?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1174009252&sr=1-2

Finally I bought that card, after three attempts: the merchant didnít have it in stock two times even the card was on website.

Anyway, since I bought it, I had three times a problem: after 10-15 pictures taken, the camera displayed: MEMORY CARD ERROR.
I had to format the card each time after this message.

Might be a problem with my camera or the card is not good?
Did this happen to someone else?

Thank you

SpecialK
04-11-2007, 10:51 PM
I have 5 of them. No problems.