PDA

View Full Version : How to make my photos better

will32
03-09-2007, 04:20 AM
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can help me. I have started taking photos for auction site e bay, but how can i mwke them better. When i look at websites there is so much detail to their picthures than my ones. I have tried to make the images sharper using photoshop but how can i acheive that quality for a website.

I use a sony cybershot 5.1 mega pix. How can i improve this image

thanks

jnpalma
03-09-2007, 07:01 AM
Will,
Asking permission to use your file....

You have to add light and contrast on the background to make the main subject pop out to the customer's eyes (I set brightness-contrast only for the background).

To catch even more attention to your product you should make the colors sharper (I used Photoshop Unsharp Mask only for the dress).

What do you think ?

LR Max
03-09-2007, 09:10 AM
I use a sony DSC-P10 for my non-critical shooting (i.e. for fun and not work). I have it set on the following:

P-mode
100 ISO
+ saturation
+ contrast

Then if neccessary, I use a tripod and try to never use a flash. Then I set it on timer so the camera is VERY still when the photo is taken and I am not touching the camera/tripod when the shutter is activated. Thats about the most you are gonna get out of the camera itself.

Light is SOOO important. If possible, go outside on a sunny day and take the photo. It really makes the difference. Observe the below picture. There is no photo editing. Straight out of my crappy P10 that I bought second hand at a coffee shop a few months ago.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/148/413981261_1e30c31055.jpg

Very vibrant colors. Very bright. Excellent detail. All done in camera.

All my friends ask me to take photos for their ebay/online sellings. Outside in the sunlight makes the item look freakin' awesome.

will32
03-09-2007, 04:22 PM
Guys thanks so mush for you replys and advice. just a quick question
how do i (I set brightness-contrast only for the background? ) do i do this via photoshop if so how. thanks

jnpalma
03-13-2007, 11:40 AM
Will,
Yes, you must select only the background. There are thousands of ways to do that using Photoshop or any other softwares. ;)

You can select by area, color, and so on.

Start here http://www.adobe.com/uk/designcenter/photoshop/articles/phs8select.html

will32
03-14-2007, 02:47 AM
Will,
Asking permission to use your file....

You have to add light and contrast on the background to make the main subject pop out to the customer's eyes (I set brightness-contrast only for the background).

To catch even more attention to your product you should make the colors sharper (I used Photoshop Unsharp Mask only for the dress).

What do you think ?

Hi jnpalma,

thanks for the link to the tutorial. i have manage to use the backgroung selection tool, but just a quick qiestion how do i add light and contrast to the background, how can i get the colours of the background as the above like you have done.
Thanks