PDA

View Full Version : Lens and flash question for Digital Rebel XTi

yuppicide
03-04-2007, 08:39 PM
I want to get a flash and lens for Digital Rebel XTi..

1 - Is the 580EX II out yet and do you think it's worth my wait to get it or would there be something just as good for cheaper in a good quality brand I should look at? I will be using this for dark rock clubs to film musicians.

2 - What lens would you reccommend I get?! I'd prefer something with Image Stabilization if possible, but I want something best for darkness. Superzoom isn't a necessity because I'll be in smaller clubs that only hold a few hundred people. I want to get a better/less grainy picture in the clubs, but not shell out a fortune.

-- I am guessing I should plan that some clubs limit the use of flash when I buy that lens also?

-- Maybe I don't need a flash based on what lens I get?

-- Maybe I shouldn't use an add-on flash because it'll ruin the ambiance of the club?

I don't only want to shoot "still" shots.. I'd like to get some of them artsy "in motion" shots as well. I'd rather not shoot at ultra high ISO if possible.

noyjimi
03-05-2007, 11:13 AM
if you plan to get the 580ex, it's probably worth the wait for the 580ex ii

if you're shooting the performers, it's probably better to use available light.. something like the 28 or 50 prime would do if you can get close enough (like upfront or even on-stage access), otherwise an 85 or 135. now if you can get away with using flash (it might get annoying to performers, at the very least), the 430ex is fine. you can then try some of the "artsy" shots like using 2nd curtain sync (but don't do it if there's a smoke machine otherwise it won't come out artsy at all lol).

if you're unsure about exposure, try to spot meter on the performer's illuminated face and keep that in M mode

RichNY
03-05-2007, 07:09 PM
I'd really consider alternatives like the Metz to the 580EX II. I don't think most people are going to get $500 worth of value out of that flash.