PDA

View Full Version : High speed SD cards and the Canon 10D

rory tate
12-08-2004, 03:37 PM
I think I screwed up in buying the latest Lexar 1 gig SD card. I don't think my 10D can write as fast as this card can accept the data. Which, in this case, is a waste of $ . The write speed is 88X.

Am I right, and should I take this high speed card back to CompUSA and get a card that can write at the same speed that matches the 10D's output?

thanks,
Rory

D70FAN
12-09-2004, 02:50 PM
I think I screwed up in buying the latest Lexar 1 gig SD card. I don't think my 10D can write as fast as this card can accept the data. Which, in this case, is a waste of $ . The write speed is 88X.

Am I right, and should I take this high speed card back to CompUSA and get a card that can write at the same speed that matches the 10D's output?

thanks,
Rory

It depends on how much more the 80X card cost you. If it's only $20 or so, then stay with the faster card. The camera may not need it, but assuming you are using a USB 2.0 High Speed card reader, and a USB 2.0 HS equiped computer... You do. And when you are talking about offloading 1 GB of 3-8MB files, you will appreciate all the extra speed you can get.

There was a time when I would buy standard speed CF cards, but since I have started using a USB 2.0 reader, and with the cost difference narrowing, those days are gone.

Your milage may varry.

Bon Foto.

Rhys
12-10-2004, 08:21 AM
It depends on how much more the 80X card cost you. If it's only $20 or so, then stay with the faster card. The camera may not need it, but assuming you are using a USB 2.0 High Speed card reader, and a USB 2.0 HS equiped computer... You do. And when you are talking about offloading 1 GB of 3-8MB files, you will appreciate all the extra speed you can get.

There was a time when I would buy standard speed CF cards, but since I have started using a USB 2.0 reader, and with the cost difference narrowing, those days are gone.

Your milage may varry.

Bon Foto.

USB 2.0 How quaint. I thought everybody who was anybody used Firewire.

NiDan
05-15-2005, 05:55 PM
i have a 20d and a 80x compact flash... if you lower your picture size you can meet the speed of your flash memory... but i'm only able to get one frame per (1.2) second at full size (8meg) instead of the 5 frames per second. a slower card enables me to go get lunch in between shots!!! :cool: