PDA

View Full Version : Choice of Filters

Saxtonram
03-04-2007, 08:42 AM
Hello

Forgive my niavity, but what are the essintial types of fliter needed for digital photography? I am curious about which issues need a filter versus what problems can be fixed later in software. I also welcome your advice on brand of filter.

Thanks

Saxtonram

Robert Besen
03-04-2007, 09:31 AM
A polarizing filter is a must for landscape and scenery photography. The effect of a polarizing filter cannot be duplcated with post processing. If you don't know what a polarizer does, do a google search for a better explanation than I can give you.

LR Max
03-04-2007, 09:52 AM
Indeed. A circular polarizer is what you want. I say this because it can adjust for no polarization to full polarization. What I do is I marked the spot that it has no polarization, that way I can always immediately find that spot if needed. The polarizer is almost required for outdoor shooting.

If you do a lot of indoor shooting, then a UV filter is something else you should probably buy. Its just a protective piece of glass over the lense. Keeps the lense from getting scratched/destroyed.

Those are the two I carry in my bag. I am sure there are other filters out there but these two cover 96% of all shooting.

Pave
03-04-2007, 12:26 PM
No need to spam...It is sufficient to ask in just one thread...You will always find people willing to help. You really don't need to put the same thread in both "Tips and techniques" and "General photography chat"