PDA

View Full Version : Beware of so-called "Heavy-Duty" Batteries

The_Bat_Man
12-08-2004, 12:29 PM
This holiday season as we run around buying gifts for our loved ones, remind yourself that those electronics need batteries, and only the best should be bought. My own experience was when I recieved a new digital camera last year and was given "Heavy-Duty" batteries. I started taking pictures immediatly and took about 20 pics and the batteries had died on me. I vowed never to give someone "heavy-duty" batteries with any gift that I gave. Since then I have been a loyal alkaline user. Please, for the sake of your loved ones, give only the best, alkaline will never let you down. ;)

David Metsky
12-08-2004, 12:37 PM
For digital cameras, any alkaline (heavy duty or not) is not a good choice. Rechargable NiMH batteries are really the only sensible way to go. They have an order of magnitude longer life and you can reuse them.

Your camera would have died around 20 shots no matter what type of alkaline battery you used. Heavy duty didn't really enter into the picture, so to speak.

propwash
12-08-2004, 02:56 PM
There is a distinction between "alkaline" and "heavy duty." I have noticed what appeared to be some pretty good deals on multipacks of batteries listed as "heavy duty." When I looked at the package, I discovered that they were not alkaline batteries at all. I guess they were just your regular run-of-the-mill carbon-zinc batteries that someone decided to call "heavy duty." Alkalines are generally regarded as superior to standard batteries, and will (in most cases) prominently display the word "alkaline" on the packaging.

I agree with the idea of using rechargeables whenever possible. With name brand alkalines, my camera died after about 40-45 shots. With 2050 mAh NiMH rechargeables, it goes about 125-160 shots, depending on my use of the flash and the LCD screen. It's definitely cost effective to go with rechargeables.

12-08-2004, 04:18 PM
definitively go with NiMH batteries with your digital equipement: think of the environement and of your wallet.

The Panasonic Alkaline batteries that came with my camera lasted me 40ish shots... My 2300mAh NiMH batteries lasted me over 200 shots on their FIRST use(keep in mind that NiMH batteries need about 5 charge to get to full power). Already providing me 5 times more shots, they costed me less than 20 alkaline batteries and will last me for 500-1000 recharge.

photogal6
12-24-2004, 06:17 PM
In my instance I dont find rechargeable to be a choice for me. I am always on the go and with alkaline, I can just go anywhere and know I will always have a charged battery. The heavy duty are just horrible. I invested alot of money into them till I relised that was my problem in the first place. With heavy duty you get what you pay for. The alkaline batteries work fine in my camera and I can get over 200 photos with it. So I will agree that alkaline is my best choice.

ReF
12-24-2004, 09:28 PM
if i were always on the go I would just buy a car adapter that gives me standard U.S. two prong outlet that i can plug my recharger into. if my Ni-MH batteries are about 3x stronger than alkalines, then it wouldn't make sense for me to carry around three times the alkaline batteries to equal my rechargables, and then buy more when they run out.
i see the point of the orginal post: no-name "heavy duty" batteries suck, but I say that alkalines aren't all that great in digi-cams either.
I guess if you really love throw away batteries but also want to take a lot of pictures, you could start wearing cargo pants again ;)

Rhys
12-25-2004, 07:04 AM
if i were always on the go I would just buy a car adapter that gives me standard U.S. two prong outlet that i can plug my recharger into. if my Ni-MH batteries are about 3x stronger than alkalines, then it wouldn't make sense for me to carry around three times the alkaline batteries to equal my rechargables, and then buy more when they run out.
i see the point of the orginal post: no-name "heavy duty" batteries suck, but I say that alkalines aren't all that great in digi-cams either.
I guess if you really love throw away batteries but also want to take a lot of pictures, you could start wearing cargo pants again ;)

I have a battery charger I bought in Wal-Mart or K-Mart. It was $16 and has a separate transformer unit so it can be used from either a car cigarette lighter socket or from the US 2-prong socket. I've seen similar things in Britain for the UK socket. All made in China, of course, so the quality is debatable.

pepelepoo
12-31-2004, 03:57 PM
yeah, but i have had trouble with rechargeables not holding their charge. i charge em and then use em and they last like 20 minutes when i am suppposed to get like 200 minutes

so i say alkaline all the way. they are def the longest lasting battery out there beside a rechargeable (if you get good ones)

pepe le poo

Rhys
01-01-2005, 09:57 AM
yeah, but i have had trouble with rechargeables not holding their charge. i charge em and then use em and they last like 20 minutes when i am suppposed to get like 200 minutes

so i say alkaline all the way. they are def the longest lasting battery out there beside a rechargeable (if you get good ones)

pepe le poo

That indicates a bad charger. I used the Nikon AA charger on my NiMh batteries (the batteries Nikon supplied with their charger) and found the batteries were lasting no time at all. I bought an independent charger and charged the Nikon batteries as well as some that I'd recently purchased. What a difference. the Nikon batteries lasted as long as they should have.

kgosden
01-01-2005, 10:18 PM
I only use NiMH rechargeables in my Olympus. I generally leave a set in the camera for several weeks between charges and they still perform okay (50 or more shots near the end of that time). I always have another set charged in the case and those do not lose charge as fast since the set in the camera has to at least keep the camera clock alive. I get several hundred shots from a fresh charged set.

ReF
01-02-2005, 09:16 PM

pepe le poo

I agree with Rhys. It could also be a faulty battery or batteries. maybe the batteries are old or have been burned out from overcharging on a fast charger or some other reason. decent NiMH rechargeables should definately out perform alkalines. Keep in mind that NiMH batteries self-discharge 1%-2% everyday, while alkalines do not. that could be the cause if you only shoot an occasional photo and go long periods between charges. there shouldn't be any problems if they are freshly charged.

correcting my earlier post, I meant to say: get a car adapter that gives you a standard outlet in whichever country you live in. I only said U.S. outlet specifically because i live there.

TomLM
01-03-2005, 03:55 AM
When I'm out on the road I really only have two choices of batteries I can buy. So if I were to choose between heavy duty and alkaline I were to pick alkaline any day. They last so much longer. They cost a little more but they last like 4 times longer so it's worth it.

Rhys
01-03-2005, 08:17 AM
I agree with Rhys. It could also be a faulty battery or batteries. maybe the batteries are old or have been burned out from overcharging on a fast charger or some other reason. decent NiMH rechargeables should definately out perform alkalines. Keep in mind that NiMH batteries self-discharge 1%-2% everyday, while alkalines do not. that could be the cause if you only shoot an occasional photo and go long periods between charges. there shouldn't be any problems if they are freshly charged.

correcting my earlier post, I meant to say: get a car adapter that gives you a standard outlet in whichever country you live in. I only said U.S. outlet specifically because i live there.

I had NiCads, fully charged and two weeks later, they were flat. NiMh is much better. I could still use my mob phone after 3 months without having charged it. That's pretty good for NiMh.

Jonesy22
01-06-2005, 08:36 AM
I agree if your on teh run and don't have access to a charger then definately choose alkalines over heavy duties!
Yeah havey duties may be cheaper but you will definately use alot more of them then if you were using alkalines.

radar
01-06-2005, 06:39 PM
I agree you will definatley use less batteries if you use alklaines instead of heavy duty batteries.Which of course means you will save more money.here is a interesting thing i found they say that it will take 38 more heavy duty batteries than alkalines to take 200 digital photos.Imagine that.just think of how much more it would cost you.

Rhys
01-06-2005, 06:51 PM
I agree you will definatley use less batteries if you use alklaines instead of heavy duty batteries.Which of course means you will save more money.here is a interesting thing i found they say that it will take 38 more heavy duty batteries than alkalines to take 200 digital photos.Imagine that.just think of how much more it would cost you.

As lithium batteries are now more available and cheaper, i wonder whether anybody has compared their lifespan to that of a standard zinc-carbion batter and an alkaline.

D70FAN
01-06-2005, 07:03 PM
Seems you all don't know about AA Lithiums. Non-rechargable but good for emergency backup, or for infrequent photographers. They have about 5 times the usable charge life of alkalines, but run about $10 for a set of 4.

Since shelf life is about 6-7 years these are ideal for the occasional shooter who takes less than 200 pictures per year (or over several years). Don't laugh, I know a lot of people who break out the camera for a few shots on Christmas, birthdays, and family get togethers, and that's it. These are the same people who can't remember when they put that roll of 35mm or APS film in the camera and there are still 12 shots left... :rolleyes:

These are good carry alongs, even if you use rechargables. I still have a set with my CP990 that I bought 4 years ago. Actually, I installed them in the A75 I gave to my mother-in-law for Christmas. She is one of the few-times-a-year shooters I'm talking about. :D

TomLM
01-06-2005, 09:20 PM
Ouch that's really expencive, I think alkalines are the best price to performance batteries you can buy, heck I use them in everything and I know I'd be spending a lot more cash if I was using heavy duty ones.

Rhys
01-07-2005, 07:25 AM
Since shelf life is about 6-7 years these are ideal for the occasional shooter who takes less than 200 pictures per year (or over several years). Don't laugh, I know a lot of people who break out the camera for a few shots on Christmas, birthdays, and family get togethers, and that's it. These are the same people who can't remember when they put that roll of 35mm or APS film in the camera and there are still 12 shots left... :rolleyes:

Lol. I put a roll of film in my dad's camera some 10 years ago. I don't think he's used it all yet. That's 120 roll film too.

I developed a roll of film (120) about 10 years ago that had been in a camera since the last photo was taken - in about 1940.

Some people aren't very prolific photographers.

David Metsky
01-07-2005, 08:41 AM
I also use Lithium AAs in one camera in very cold weather situations (hiking at -20 F) since they last much longer than alkalines or NiMH in those temps. The rest of the time I use NiMH, no need for ever using alkalines unless I somehow run out of juice in my other three sets of rechargables.

-dave-

ReF
01-09-2005, 06:32 PM
Lol. I put a roll of film in my dad's camera some 10 years ago. I don't think he's used it all yet. That's 120 roll film too.

I developed a roll of film (120) about 10 years ago that had been in a camera since the last photo was taken - in about 1940.

Some people aren't very prolific photographers.

wow, did that old film come out alright?

Rhys
01-09-2005, 07:41 PM
wow, did that old film come out alright?

Perfectly. Developed it in ID11 for the time I'd normally give a black and white 100asa film.