PDA

View Full Version : Older lenses for modern bodies

willindeed
03-01-2007, 08:24 AM
I am considering buying a Pentax dSLR and am wondering if it makes sense to acquire lenses from Pentax film SLR's. I read that the K100d and the K10d both can use the older lenses but does it make economic or photographic sense to buy older lenses off eBay or yard sales? Also, are there adapters that allow the use of Pentax screw-on lenses with the current bayonet type mount? Thanks for any info

SpecialK
03-02-2007, 06:49 PM
I am considering buying a Pentax dSLR and am wondering if it makes sense to acquire lenses from Pentax film SLR's. I read that the K100d and the K10d both can use the older lenses but does it make economic or photographic sense to buy older lenses off eBay or yard sales? Also, are there adapters that allow the use of Pentax screw-on lenses with the current bayonet type mount? Thanks for any info

Yes, and yes.

Some older lenses are manual focus, though. Some require you to input the focal length into the camera to make the shake reduction function effectively.

The "M42" adaptor is used with screw-mount lenses, which some people nickname an "M42" lens, such as a "M42 300".

Many people shop at www.keh.com as a source of used equipment which ranges from "like new" through "ex" to "bargain" condition which shows wear and tear but has no image-affecting glass issues. "Bargain" lenses can be had for about 1/2 the cost of "ex" in some cases. Finally, they have the "ugly" rating which is well used and dinged, and MAY have image-affecting problems. I ordered an ugly 300mm f4 last night for $99. Crossing my fingers I don't have to de-mold it :-)

willindeed
03-03-2007, 05:20 AM
Thanks for the response, SpecialK. I have seen several old lenses for sale which advertise themselves as having "no fungus" and I see in your post a fear of demolding a used lens. I must admit ignorance here; there is a fungus on glass? What are the effects? How is it seen? How is it eliminated? How rare is it? Thanks in advance.

SpecialK
03-03-2007, 07:55 AM
Thanks for the response, SpecialK. I have seen several old lenses for sale which advertise themselves as having "no fungus" and I see in your post a fear of demolding a used lens. I must admit ignorance here; there is a fungus on glass? What are the effects? How is it seen? How is it eliminated? How rare is it? Thanks in advance.

Hi Willindeed:

I've have never seen it, but apparently a mold or fungus can grow or collect in a lens and will show as discoloration or spiderweb effect inside the glass. I'm guessing it should be cleanable (if you can get to it) by a trained person.

If a lens is stored in a dry location or with one of those little silica packets, there is little chance for mold to start.

If it is just a little around the edge of the element, then it may not affect the image signifcantly.

However, if it costs $100 to clean a $99-dollar "ugly" lens, then it might be better to get the mold-free "bargain" one for $179.

You pay your money, you take your chances :-)

At least KEH has a 14-day return period (minus the $12.95 shipping which is normal.)

I figured even with a minor image problem, it will give me a chance to lug a 3-pound lens around and decide if I really want a "good" one in the future.

polaski
03-08-2007, 08:24 AM
I use almost nothing bu older Pentax (and Pentax-mount) lenses on my *istDS. They are great and are of high quality.

That said, I'm trying to resolve some questions I've seen on other fora about the K10D and its effectiveness in correctly exposing pre-A Pentax lenses.

suemccartin
03-22-2007, 07:58 AM
In my old film days I shot with a K1000 and ME and a super something (don't remember the name). I have probably 4 k mount lenses in my bag one of which cost me like 400 bucks 25 years ago and I'd like to use my investment. I've read that K mount lenses have limitations on the K100, but I can't really find any explaination of what those limitations are. I need a backup body, would love a 30d (have a 20D so not sure the few changes worth another nearly identical body) but so far it's not in the budget so I'm looking at the K100 but I don't want to get that thinking my K mount lenses are gonna work if they aren't really going to work well. Dell has the camera right now with the pentax 18-55 for 6 something which seems reasonable and then I'd have at least one lens that works great but I am buying this thing primarily to get my investment on my own old lenses working again. I'm also real attracted to the antishake system built into the body not the lens which is what canon does (and makes the glass hellishly expensive). The only thing that annoys me a bit about the new Pentax digitals is they went to SD cards, I much prefer CF (because I've got several expensive ones for my Canon and only one high speed SD card for one of my snap n shoots). So if someone with a K100/110 can please give me a good feel for what hassles I'll be dealing with with old K mount lenses please tell me the jist of it. Thanks.

SpecialK
03-22-2007, 05:46 PM
I got the $99 "ugly" manual (no "A" on the aperture ring) 300mm f4 lens from KEH. It had to be used in Av mode or manual mode. Shutter speed read "4000" no matter what aperture was used in Av. Also, the camera can not determine the focal length, so you have to input it for the SR to work correctly. I would have kept it but the IQ was bad. Somebody asked for a picture of it, so here it is/was:
I might try another lens some day.

The K100d is a great camera, though not geared toward burst shooting as it has a small buffer.

If Dell has it for "6 something", shop elsewhere and save $50 or more.
http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-Digital-Reduction-18-55mm-3-5-5-6/dp/B000FTLSR0/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-0056599-9306501?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1174610274&sr=1-1

suemccartin
03-26-2007, 01:50 PM
So basically what your telling me is that K mount is pretty much going to be manual settings, well I suppose that isn't too bad if I'll at least get some over/under exposure indications in the view finder? Will I at least get that much? Do you feel the viewfinder is bright enough for manual focusing? Thanks again.

SpecialK
03-26-2007, 06:14 PM
The lens I had (above) is called (I think) an "M" (manual) lens. There is an "A" series after it which included an "A" setting on the aperture ring. That allowed shutter-priority operation.

There is no exposure over/under information in the viewfinder when in Av mode. It does appear on the far right side when in "M" mode.

I think the viewfinder should be bright enough, but the screen is not the split-focus/matte type you might be used to in a film LSR.

suemccartin
03-27-2007, 07:59 AM
It's funny, I remember when the first "auto" lenses came out and no one liked them. Slow, bad focus, blah, blah, blah. Now no one wants the original manual lenses. I guess I need to pull that glass out and decide if 600 bucks is worth being able to use them again or if I should just keep them for the nostalgia factor if I decided to shoot a bit of film here and there. I don't think any of mine have the A setting, these are all original K mount no auto anything. I've got an unusual 24mm with built in filters that is a blast to play with and then my what was a very expensive vivitar F2.8 low end zoom. So it really sounds like manual mode is it, well that does have its advantages. Then next question would be a flash for the Pentax that wouldn't be confused by the old lenses, probably would be reduced to auto mode and no TTL at all which wouldn't be surprising.

polaski
03-30-2007, 06:22 AM
If you've used a K-1000 (I started with a Spotmatic II), you'll love the old lenses on the new DSLR bodies. The "limitations" referred to are defined as such by a younger generation used to automation. A K-lens on mt Pentax *istDS is quick, accurate and fun to use. All the advantages of good glass with a few extra conveniences and a digital file as a result.

I used a Soligor 300mm (T-4 mount) originally used on the Spotmatic, and since a T-4 mount isn't available in K-mount, I slipped on a TX mount, lost my f/5.6 setting and took the following photo minutes after mounting the lens.

(Pardon the noise, it's highly cropped but no other processing)

Chrisku13
04-02-2007, 12:26 AM
I got the $99 "ugly" manual (no "A" on the aperture ring) 300mm f4 lens from KEH. It had to be used in Av mode or manual mode. Shutter speed read "4000" no matter what aperture was used in Av. Also, the camera can not determine the focal length, so you have to input it for the SR to work correctly. I would have kept it but the IQ was bad. Somebody asked for a picture of it, so here it is/was:
I might try another lens some day.

The K100d is a great camera, though not geared toward burst shooting as it has a small buffer.

If Dell has it for "6 something", shop elsewhere and save $50 or more.
http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-Digital-Reduction-18-55mm-3-5-5-6/dp/B000FTLSR0/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-0056599-9306501?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1174610274&sr=1-1

Hey, I was just wondering if this was a 100% crop.

suemccartin
04-04-2007, 08:12 AM
If you've used a K-1000 (I started with a Spotmatic II), you'll love the old lenses on the new DSLR bodies. The "limitations" referred to are defined as such by a younger generation used to automation. A K-lens on mt Pentax *istDS is quick, accurate and fun to use. All the advantages of good glass with a few extra conveniences and a digital file as a result.

I used a Soligor 300mm (T-4 mount) originally used on the Spotmatic, and since a T-4 mount isn't available in K-mount, I slipped on a TX mount, lost my f/5.6 setting and took the following photo minutes after mounting the lens.

(Pardon the noise, it's highly cropped but no other processing)

I don't know if you've found noise ninja yet but I love it, does a great job on my canon 20D. I shoot a lot in ISO 3200 with flash and it does a terrific job removing the noise (use the mode that takes camera data off the exif, I find it works best). You can see examples of my photography at www.kinneykarate.com (http://www.kinneykarate.com) I took most of the color pictures that aren't old and they were shot at iso3200 at around 1/125 with flash. I can easily make 8X10's of full megapixel images even with moderate cropping and you can't see the noise at all on 8X10's.

Thanks for the advice on the pentax. I just need to know I'll at least have over/under metering with the manual lenses. I may consider buying the K100 at least for a backup body, then of course I need a good flash to go with it--sigh.

SpecialK
04-05-2007, 08:52 PM
Hey, I was just wondering if this was a 100% crop.

Me? Yep, 100% crops. Joined in Photoshop (only thing I use that for).