PDA

View Full Version : Problems with blurry photos - Sony

lme30005
02-26-2007, 10:08 AM
Hi

I'm new here and not much of an expert on photography.

I have recently bought a Sony DSCW100 to replace my old Sony 4mp camera. I bought a new one as my old one took ages to take a photo and ages to let me take ones in quick succession. I have 2 young children so I have to be quick when I want to get a good photo as they never keep still!

I am really disappointed with the W100 as some shots come out blurry - either my fault or the moving subjects. But even when the camera and subject are still, the shots still come out really soft, not quite blurry. I compared photos taken with my old camera and they are much sharper and show more detail.

I have used the auto setting, program and manual and changed many settings but I can't get it to match the sharpness of my old camera. I changed all the settings to match my old camera but that didn't work.

As I am fairly clueless when it comes to photography, any ideas would be gratefully received. I now know that more megapixels does not mean better images!

Thanks

Louise

danidabi
02-26-2007, 10:39 AM
I dont know that camera so Im shooting in the dark here:

Does it have IS? If so is it turned on?

Have you tried adjusting the shutter speed? Higher setting might yield a more in focus picture

What are you sitting on or doing at the time? I've learned my car shakes when Im taking a pic in it, maybe where u were was the same

Not sure after that, hope those help a little

lme30005
02-26-2007, 10:44 AM
Hi

It doesn't have IS and I'm not sure I can adjust the shutter speed - is that the ISO? If so, I have used every setting and nothing helps.

I'm usually indoors when taking photo's of my little ones. The outdoors photos come out a little better but still not as crisp as my old camera.

Thanks anyway

sjseto
02-26-2007, 12:36 PM
Louise,

Can you post some samples from both your W100 and your older Sony, with EXIF data attached, so we can see what the problem is? Lack of sharpness is usually caused by missed focus, moving subject, or hand-shake while taking the picture. Sometimes it is also the result of wider apertures and high ISO. But it's hard to know what it is unless we see samples.

Stephanie