PDA

View Full Version : EVolt 500.....

ddolfe
02-25-2007, 05:39 PM
OKay, here's my take on this "camera".....bought it in December and after a few shots the auto focus stopped working.......spoke with the so called tech support, and after 3 VERY frustrating hours, "we" decided the cam was defective. Took it back and exchanged it for a 2nd one......and guess what? After less than a month, SAME problem! Seems there's a little bit of a glitch with the contacts on the camera body. If I toook the lens off and ran my fingers ofer the contacts, I could feel 1 of them actually pop back into position. Reattached the lens and it worked great........for a few more shots and then same thing. Spoke with support AGAIN and was told this was not a common complaint....hmmmmm.....2 cameras, in 2 months, with the same problem? Oh no! Not common at all!
Got my money back and am, once again, in the market for a new DSLR. Guess what though? It sure as HELL won't be another Olympus! I guess the old adage is true...."You get what you pay for".......I went cheap and look where it got me! :mad:

Riley
02-25-2007, 05:54 PM
OKay, here's my take on this "camera".....bought it in December and after a few shots the auto focus stopped working.......spoke with the so called tech support, and after 3 VERY frustrating hours, "we" decided the cam was defective. Took it back and exchanged it for a 2nd one......and guess what? After less than a month, SAME problem! Seems there's a little bit of a glitch with the contacts on the camera body. If I toook the lens off and ran my fingers ofer the contacts, I could feel 1 of them actually pop back into position. Reattached the lens and it worked great........for a few more shots and then same thing. Spoke with support AGAIN and was told this was not a common complaint....hmmmmm.....2 cameras, in 2 months, with the same problem? Oh no! Not common at all!
Got my money back and am, once again, in the market for a new DSLR. Guess what though? It sure as HELL won't be another Olympus! I guess the old adage is true...."You get what you pay for".......I went cheap and look where it got me! :mad:

its not a common complaint by any means
ive heard of 1 other case of electrical contact lost between camera and lens
moreover cleaning the contacts fixed it, certainly not a jammed contact

Gary24
02-26-2007, 10:23 AM

Well I "went cheap" as you say it and have had no problems for over 5 months. Maybe it was the way you mounted the lens or something. Or maybe you just have really crappy luck. Either way happy hunting and hope your next camera treats you better. Now that you have vented again maybe you will feel better!

www.how-wood.com

Norm in Fujino
02-26-2007, 09:35 PM
As I noted elsewhere, the most common source of problems in this area is failure to mount the lens correctly. When attaching the lens, some people hold the release button depressed and end up rotating the lens past the locking point. That results in the contacts being out of alignment and presto, no communication between lens and body. When mounting a lens, the button shouldn't be pressed at all. The button is only for removing the lens.
The OP indicated that he wasn't pressing the button when mounting the lens, so I don't know what the actual issue was, but I hope he finds greener pastures elsewhere.

SpecialK
02-26-2007, 09:42 PM

Bummers. Many people like that camera. Better luck with a new brand!

Riley
02-26-2007, 09:48 PM
Bummers. Many people like that camera. Better luck with a new brand!

i bet he's calling you on support real soon :)