Riley
02-23-2007, 12:00 PM
dont get too excited its a dark popup
release date for 2 of the, probably E-410 and E-510 March 8

http://www.olympus-europa.com/consumer/dslr.htm

cheers

GaryS
03-05-2007, 08:31 AM
Is there any word on pricing for the new E-510? This camera sounds awesome!

Riley
03-05-2007, 08:37 AM
The E-410 (SRP $799 with kit 14-42 f/3.5-5.6Olympus Digital lens)
The E-510 (SRP $899 with kit 14-42 f/3.5-5.6Olympus Digital lens)

http://www.popphoto.com/cameras/3886/first-look-olympus-e-410-and-e-510.html

cheers

Riley
03-05-2007, 09:00 AM
US Pricing / Product Configurations
EVOLT E-510 Body Estimated Street Price: $799
EVOLT E-510 with 14-42mm f3.5/5.6 Zuiko Digital Zoom Lens Estimated Street Price: $899
EVOLT E-510 Two Lens Kit (Body, 14-42mm and 40-150mm Lenses) Estimated Street Price: $999

GaryS
03-05-2007, 09:05 AM
I'm very interested to see the first official reviews. The 510 sounds great.

Riley
03-05-2007, 09:12 AM
well its not the kodak sensor anymore
and a new image processing engine
what is said to be the fastest focussing lenses
in body IS is good for older lenses too
lots of stuff to find out how true it is etc

Gary24
03-05-2007, 12:33 PM
The 510 sounds nice. Can't wait for Pop Photo to do a full test on it and compare it to the other 10mp out there. I love that they put the IS onboard so you can keep your current lens and have IS. Now I have to figure out where to find $800 and convince the wife that it is "Necessary" :p

tonay
03-05-2007, 04:15 PM
Hi

Is the live view LCD option something good or will it slow down frames/second? Just asking as I know this hasn't been really tested yet.

Riley
03-05-2007, 08:03 PM
yes liveview would be jerky when panning etc
its not for sports and fast action
that said you can usually get away with it, by estimating what is happening

GaryS
03-06-2007, 07:12 AM
Alright, so if I'm going to consider an E510, I'll need to know more about lenses. The Canon and Nikon forums are full of thoughts and reviews of their many lenses... Not much here on this forum.

Does anyone here have thoughts about the quality (good or bad) or problems with the kit lenses?

Any experience with other Oly lenses?

What about the Sigma variants for the Four/Thirds system?

Do you have any favourite web resources where these lenses are indepentently reviewed?

Thanks!

Riley
03-06-2007, 07:32 AM
kit lenses are ok for what they are, worst part about them they are a bit slow at F3.5

Olympus glass tends to be better than good quality, some better than others
of worth are the 7-14mm which is just without equal anywhere,
the 11-22mm & 50-200mm, are a worthwhile kit which gets you from 22-400mm. The 40-150 is a lot cheaper though at $260, and not such a bad lens. Another choice would be the new 12-60 but I have no idea what the price is.

rather than listen to me about them check out here

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/index.html

User Performance Surveys
4/3 System (Olympus E) lenses

I cant give you much quality info about Sigma lenses on 4/3
I dont have any, nor does anyone I know, Im personally wary of Sigma, I find the quality a bit hit and miss.

heres a source for lens specs with US pricing

http://www.4-3system.com/modules/lenses/

Riley
03-07-2007, 08:19 AM
should have added this one too

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/oly-e/lenses.html

cheers

GaryS
03-07-2007, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the info Riley....

nameless
03-15-2007, 03:02 PM
any thoughts on waiting for this to come out, vs getting a Canon Xti (my current top choice)?

i'm a newbie to SLRs, am looking to get more professional looking shots of my children - so active kid shots, other people shots, is what i mostly take pictures of. i'm used to my point-and-shoot LCD viewfinder, and am thinking that this might be the new wave of future SLRs - and if i get a SLR without "live view", it'll be outdated in just a few years.

i do tend to be "brand name" oriented - so i'm wondering about Olympus's reputation?

GaryS
03-15-2007, 06:23 PM
nameless... You and I are in the same place.

I had picked out my Canon XTi kit, but I wanted to wait to see what was announced at PMA. I'm not in a big hurry, as I have my Canon S2 to keep me busy for now. Anyway, the new E510 has caught my interest, and I've read many good things about Olympus in the past week.

Personally, I'm going to sit tight until the summer, see what the 510 is like and make my choice then.

PS: This forum is pretty quiet. Lots of good Olympus chat here. (http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1022)

Riley
03-15-2007, 06:47 PM
any thoughts on waiting for this to come out, vs getting a Canon Xti (my current top choice)?

Only that we are not certain of release date, initially said to be July, now people are saying perhaps as early as April. You could of course get the Canon straight away. No one can guess when reviews will begin to circulate, and as this is a big part of understanding this new camera, that adds some uncertainty to the mix. However there is usually a review getting around somewhere, might be a case of watch this space...

i'm a newbie to SLRs, am looking to get more professional looking shots of my children - so active kid shots, other people shots, is what i mostly take pictures of. i'm used to my point-and-shoot LCD viewfinder, and am thinking that this might be the new wave of future SLRs - and if i get a SLR without "live view", it'll be outdated in just a few years.

Certainly LiveView has its uses, in particular it will be more familiar to handle for people progressing from point and shoot types. Handy for macro users and shooting indoors with mixed light sources too. I too think LiveView will become more prominent within a few years. Already Canon have begun to implement it on their top pro line cameras.

i do tend to be "brand name" oriented - so i'm wondering about Olympus's reputation?

They are a steady innovative manufacturer, they very good quality control and excellent optics, they are in essence an optically oriented manufacturer also big in hospital/medical imaging, I dont imagine that is a field used to too many 'mistakes'.

cheers

zookeeper
03-15-2007, 08:08 PM
I just had my hands on a Sony A100 and loved it, BUT.........
I am an eye glass wearer and must wear them to see anything. I could not see all of the viewfinder field with my glasses on and no one could come up with an eye piece extender to lengthen the eye relief or eye point to accomodate my eyeglasses. The response from Sony was "Sorry, Try wearing contacts." Sadly, the Sony went back and I'm gonna have to dump my Minolta lenses to the wolves. I currently have a Panasonic FZ20 and I love that camera also. Even when I want to use the viewfinder instead of the LCD display, I can see 100% of the image. I just wanted to step up to a DSLR to improve picture quality. I didn't like what I read about the E330 but now the E510 has my ATTENTION..... With live view, I can live with a less than perfect viewfinder. Hopefully the E510 will have a better eye relief and/or Olympus may have an attachment (EP-6???) that will help if necessary.

Riley
03-15-2007, 08:25 PM
fairly widely held that the optical viewfinder is a good deal better.
The LiveView implementation is certainly a better mix than E-330, with less lag and much faster AF it shoots quicker. E-330's advantage for the present is the tilt LCD.