PDA

View Full Version : Choice of teleconverter

Dulles
02-21-2007, 01:14 PM
The last weeks I'm considering a 1.4x teleconverter to use on my Canon 70-200 F4.0.
This would convert my lens into a 98-280 F5.6. But as far as I could find, a Canon EF 1.4x II converter isn't usable on my lens, on the other side it's rather expensive compared to the 3rd party alternatives.
Can anyone advise me about the quality, AF and suitability of the Canon, Sigma, Tamron, Kenko and Soligor teleconverters? Is there any reviewsite where these TC's are compared?

ReF
02-21-2007, 02:43 PM
The last weeks I'm considering a 1.4x teleconverter to use on my Canon 70-200 F4.0.
This would convert my lens into a 98-280 F5.6. But as far as I could find, a Canon EF 1.4x II converter isn't usable on my lens, on the other side it's rather expensive compared to the 3rd party alternatives.
Can anyone advise me about the quality, AF and suitability of the Canon, Sigma, Tamron, Kenko and Soligor teleconverters? Is there any reviewsite where these TC's are compared?

where did you read that the canon 1.4x wasn't compatible with their 70-200 f4? canon's own literature states they are compatible and it's also widely known. i've used it myself without problems. you might find comparisons between different TC's difficult to come by. i only found a comparison of the older tamron and canon 1.4x by i think bob atkins. a few people here and there have noted issues with AF using the third party TC's.

TenD
02-21-2007, 03:35 PM
The Canon TC should work fine with the Canon 70-200, it will have a max aperture of f/5.6 which is pretty slow. I actually chose my Kenko Pro 1.4x TC over the Canon, I though it was overall sharper in the center and was a bunch cheaper.

adam75south
02-21-2007, 03:45 PM
maybe you read about the 2x, which will work, but won't autofocus.

Dulles
02-22-2007, 12:04 AM
Yes, you're right. In the EOS brochure I received together with the 70-200, in small letters in stated that the 1.4 works with the 70-200mm F4.
Indeed it's rather expensive, so that's my reason to asked about other as well. I found a German site with a comparison (I'll find it again and post a link)

<<Found: http://www.traumflieger.de/desktop/telekonverter/konvertertest2.php >>

TenD
02-22-2007, 10:43 AM
Yes, you're right. In the EOS brochure I received together with the 70-200, in small letters in stated that the 1.4 works with the 70-200mm F4.
Indeed it's rather expensive, so that's my reason to asked about other as well. I found a German site with a comparison (I'll find it again and post a link)

<<Found: http://www.traumflieger.de/desktop/telekonverter/konvertertest2.php >>

I decided on my Kenko 1.4 300pro because of test Lee Jay did on DPreview, his tests and conclusions were of very similar result. The Kenko won hands down.

jamison55
02-22-2007, 11:20 AM
I have the Kenko 1.4x. Works fine when I need a little more reach on my 70-200.

Dulles
02-22-2007, 11:21 AM
Thanks for your input, I searched on dpreview but didn't find the test you talked about. What I did find were a lot of topics related to TC's. Most of these topics are positive about the Kenko 1.4 300 pro, to make up my mind I'll contact the local photoshop and will test both TC's (Canon and Kenko) if available.

ReF
02-22-2007, 05:32 PM
Thanks for your input, I searched on dpreview but didn't find the test you talked about. What I did find were a lot of topics related to TC's. Most of these topics are positive about the Kenko 1.4 300 pro, to make up my mind I'll contact the local photoshop and will test both TC's (Canon and Kenko) if available.

well be sure to test it for AF on fast moving subjects. i know it's a fuction of the lens but sometimes you hear about compatibility issues. a lot of reviews just do tripod mounted tests on stationary subjects which to me only tells part of the story. for example i'll take my 17-40 f4 over a sharper third party 17-50 (or whatever) f2.8 if the f4 can actually focus quickly and accurately where the other can't. for the small difference in cost between the kenko pros/ tamron sp TC's and the canons i didn't even bother