PDA

View Full Version : newbee...indoor moving images with the S5600

spence
02-17-2007, 01:33 PM
Hi All,
New to the forum, joined in desperation to become a good photographer..
I bought the camera to replace my 3rd Sont camera (I liked them so I carried on buying them).
The reason for change was the wife has taken up TaeKwonDo and offered my services to take the club pictures at competitions.
I was recomended to buy the S5600 as for indoor use the high ISO for "non flash" indoor shots.
But....
I cannot get satisfactory pictures with this camera and I am guessing it must be my fault?
I have tried "auto" and this gives very blurred images (as I would expect).
I then have tried ISO settings from 100 to 800 but cannot get good pictures.

I am not a photographer and do not know the in's and outs of all the settings but I am prepared to learn as this is now turning into a family hobby with my wife, 2 daughters and myself now doing TaeKwonDo and wanting memorabilia.

this was taken on Auto in a very well lit room:-

http://www.lydneytagb.com/Scottish%2006/Images/09.JPG

Also a very well lit room:-
http://www.lydneytagb.com/British%2006/images/04)%20Go%20Me!!.JPG

and another well lit room:-
http://www.lydneytagb.com/Hereford%2007/sparring/22.JPG

Today I have played with the settings....
Not a very well lit Dojan
Speed 1/30
ISO 400
F 3.2

http://www.v8ford.co.uk/tn_DSCF2375.JPG

Am I asking a bit much of the S5600 or are these photo's what is to be expected for a camera of this price range?
Should I have bought something else for this application?
Thank you in advance for your help.
The pictures above are very much the best of a very bad bunch (around 200 taken per event and about 15 usable each time)

John_Reed
02-17-2007, 02:05 PM
Your shots show that you are dealing with motion blur, i.e., your subject is moving appreciably while the shutter is open. It's generally recognized that you'll need a much faster shutter speed than 1/30 to freeze that motion. If you're shooting at ISO 400 at 1/30, you could also shoot at ISO 1600 at 1/125, which might almost be fast enough. You might not like the possible noise at ISO 1600, but it may give you sharper images, and you can control the noise with noise reduction software such as Neat Image or Noise Ninja. I didn't check, I assume you're also shooting at the widest possible aperture? If not, open it up for faster shutter speeds, which is what you'll need.

Sometimes I think that motion blur can actually add to a photo, as it conveys a sense of action that might not jump out at the viewer with everything frozen in the scene. Your first shot almost has that quality; you might try working on that angle a little also.

spence
02-17-2007, 02:38 PM
Hi John,
Thank you for your valued input.
I have just tried, in the house, varying the ISO from the 400 I have set and the 1/30 to the values you suggested and it makes very little difference here in the house...
The "F" stop is at 3.2 and this is as low as it goes (shown in red on the camera).

I also like the shots to show some movement but I really do mean those are the best of a bad bunch.
I will try a tripod next time also as I tend to track the fighters by hand using the ccd when I read that this is also not the best for a steady shot.

Many things to learn!!!

Any more input will be gladly absorbed.
Spence

John_Reed
02-17-2007, 02:47 PM
At least from the shots you posted, your background objects were sharp, indicating that you the shooter weren't contributing to the blur of the subject(s). You need the FASTER shutterspeed. If you're shooting at 1/200 or faster, you should have even less of a problem with camera shake, and it doesn't seem to be bothering you at 1/30 shutterspeeds.

Try this: Set your camera to "Shutter priority," and set the shutterspeed first to 1/125, see how you do, pushing the ISO as high as you comfortably can, in the 800-1600 range. If that turns out OK, move the shutterspeed up to 1/200 or 1/250. If you find that your images look too dark there, you may be able to recover them somewhat through post-processing.

Good luck!