PDA

View Full Version : Need a High Zoom Camera for around 350

KingKong
07-27-2004, 03:34 PM
All of them seem to have their perks and downfalls, which do you guys recommend?

Jake Conner
07-27-2004, 10:55 PM
Assuming you mean US$350, that's definitely the low end of ultra zooms. Still, the new Panasonic FZ3 lists for $400, so it should be available for about that when it ships in September. I'd recommend waiting for that.

Jake

honda1475
07-28-2004, 06:58 AM
i would also take a look at the kodak dx-6490. Its 10x zoom 3.2megapixel. They sell for as cheap as $320!

KingKong
07-28-2004, 07:34 AM
What about the Olympus 740 Ultra Zoom that's at newegg for 309 + a free rechargeable battery set? The only bad things I've really heard are the shutter lag. Good Macro, little barrell distortion, little fringing, no red eye, 10X zoom, 3MP.

Jake Conner
07-28-2004, 11:25 AM
The problem with the Olympuses is that they do not have image stabilization, and I wouldn't buy an ultra zoom without it.

Jake

KingKong
07-28-2004, 11:32 AM
I have a tripod for the really zoomed in shots.

Jake Conner
07-28-2004, 11:35 AM
Yeah, but wouldn't you rather not have to lug it everywhere?

honda1475
07-28-2004, 11:44 AM
Does the IS really throw out the need for a tripod?

John_Reed
07-28-2004, 12:13 PM
Does the IS really throw out the need for a tripod?
I've used Panasonic FZ1s and now an FZ10, and I rarely carry a tripod along, unless I think I'm going to be doing some night shots. You can shoot at very low shutter speeds without a tripod. On a recent trip, I took a lot of shots inside museums, and shutterspeeds down to 1/4 second weren't uncommon. Yet I had to throw very few away for blurriness. If you look here, (http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1033&message=9684641) you can see a post I put up recently comparing IS capabilities of various lenses and cameras. You'll see that IS seems to work the best for the FZ10 of all those considered. From what's being said about the new FZ3, it should be even better than the FZ10 with respect to IS.

KingKong
07-28-2004, 01:11 PM
I think I'm going to go for the Olympus 740. It fits my needs, is available now, and I can get it for 370 including shipping, rechargeable batteries, a case, and a 128 MB xD card.

D70FAN
07-28-2004, 06:31 PM
i would also take a look at the kodak dx-6490. Its 10x zoom 3.2megapixel. They sell for as cheap as $320!

Not image stabilized. Not f2.8 through the whole zoom range. Not 12X.

D70FAN
07-28-2004, 06:37 PM
I think I'm going to go for the Olympus 740. It fits my needs, is available now, and I can get it for 370 including shipping, rechargeable batteries, a case, and a 128 MB xD card.

You will kick yourself in the morning...

bka314
07-29-2004, 12:34 AM

That Kodak is 4 Mpx. Anyway, you were right writing 3, because the image quality... the file sizes show that those pictures are too much compressed.

KingKong
07-29-2004, 06:13 AM
You will kick yourself in the morning...

It's the best in my price range, it costs 300, not 450+. As I said before, my price range is around 350 for everything, and you guys haven't recommended me one camera in that range. I don't care if you would personally use it, you guys for the most part are spoiled with thousand dollar cameras. I just want one that I can take decent zoom shots and other things and pay about 350 for a brand new one. So, unless you give me another camera in the 350 dollar range that would include a big memory card and rechargeable batteries, I'm going with the 740 Ultra Zoom.

D70FAN
07-29-2004, 07:42 AM
It's the best in my price range, it costs 300, not 450+. As I said before, my price range is around 350 for everything, and you guys haven't recommended me one camera in that range. I don't care if you would personally use it, you guys for the most part are spoiled with thousand dollar cameras. I just want one that I can take decent zoom shots and other things and pay about 350 for a brand new one. So, unless you give me another camera in the 350 dollar range that would include a big memory card and rechargeable batteries, I'm going with the 740 Ultra Zoom.

Actually, the FZ3 is $399 MSRP and the street price will probably be around $350. What I am suggesting is that stretching your budget by a few dollars now will give you many years of satisfied shooting vs. being unsatisfied with blurred, high zoom, shots.

Thanks for your thoughts on we who are "spoiled" with our $1000 cameras. Photograhy is our hobby, and we had to work for the money to buy them just like everyone else. Most of us have been using digitals since they came out 8-10 years ago, and we know the frustrations of buying a camera and finding out that there was something better at almost the same price.

You asked for our help, and then castigate us for our suggestions. Here is a suggestion for you:

Research your subject thouroughly, listen to the advice given, try the items out in person, buy the item that suits your needs and budget, and most of all, don't go off half-cocked.

bka314
07-29-2004, 07:42 AM
It's the best in my price range, [...]
So, unless you give me another camera in the 350 dollar range that would include a big memory card and rechargeable batteries, I'm going with the 740 Ultra Zoom.

And maybe you will do it right. That's a good camera - surely best in it's class (much better than the Kodak and the Minolta eg.), Olympus has experience making bigzooms.
The guys / we were just trying to explain that some other machines maybe worth the extra money (especially considering that you will pay a lot for the xD card). Before you buy you should really think over if the other cameras WITH their cards cost really that lot much more than the 740 WITH the xD card...

After all, I'm sure you'll be happy with the 740 - people are living and taking photos since a long time without IS... ;)

John_Reed
07-29-2004, 08:05 AM
After all, I'm sure you'll be happy with the 740 - people are living and taking photos since a long time without IS... ;)
You may be right about that, but I'd wager that they throw away a higher percentage of their high-zoom shots than ISers do. Need for IS also may vary with age. Panasonic once published a "marketing" website where they discussed strategies. Their target user was the "older man," who tends to be shakier than younger guys, right? So if you're one of those rock-steady people who can hold your camera steady at full zoom, 1/25th of a second, IS won't buy you a thing.

jamessa
07-29-2004, 08:41 AM
Why not the Canon S1 IS here is a link for one for $350. The site has good reviews too! http://www.electricsam.com/shop/product.aspx?ref=pricegrabber&sku=canpss1

KingKong
07-29-2004, 09:11 AM
Why not the Canon S1 IS here is a link for one for $350. The site has good reviews too! http://www.electricsam.com/shop/product.aspx?ref=pricegrabber&sku=canpss1

Because they charge 60 for 128MB compact flash cards, 20 for shipping and handling, and they don't have special deals that include a free rechargeable battery kit with every digital camera. This would still end up a good 100 over the 740 for just Image stabilization. It has redeye, and more barrel distortion and vignetting than the 740. I don't need a video mode at all, so having no sound for the video's isn't a big deal for me. Thanks for your help, but I really don't have over 400 to spend on a camera, I just want one to play around with and get some good pics to use for textures for my mod
Citizen 132 (http://www.citizen-132.com). It seems that most photography sites like the 740 UZ, so after a few more days of research, I think I'll be getting that one.

jamessa
07-29-2004, 10:13 AM
Because they charge 60 for 128MB compact flash cards, 20 for shipping and handling, and they don't have special deals that include a free rechargeable battery kit with every digital camera. This would still end up a good 100 over the 740 for just Image stabilization. It has redeye, and more barrel distortion and vignetting than the 740. I don't need a video mode at all, so having no sound for the video's isn't a big deal for me. Thanks for your help, but I really don't have over 400 to spend on a camera, I just want one to play around with and get some good pics to use for textures for my mod
Citizen 132 (http://www.citizen-132.com). It seems that most photography sites like the 740 UZ, so after a few more days of research, I think I'll be getting that one.

Well I had a 740 and did not care for it. I had alot of blurry pictures. You would not have to buy anything from them other than the camera. The compact card is $48 not $60 :rolleyes: http://www.electricsam.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=ESCFHS128 And the shipping is $18 not $20. I understand that you can not pay more than $350, so good luck with your choice!

KingKong
07-29-2004, 12:41 PM
Did you have a tripod though?

KingKong
07-29-2004, 01:13 PM
Ok, can someone give me a ranking of the following cameras in quality?

Olympus 740
Minolta Z1
Panasonic FZ1
Fuji S5000

And in the seconds class that after all of your input I might have to move to:

Canon Powershot IS
Panasonic FZ10
Minolta Z2
Kodak Easyshare 6490
HP photosmart 945
Panasonic FZ3

I might wait until my birthday in october to get a camera if the others will be that much better.

D70FAN
07-29-2004, 05:57 PM
Ok, can someone give me a ranking of the following cameras in quality?

Olympus 740
Minolta Z1
Panasonic FZ1
Fuji S5000

And in the seconds class that after all of your input I might have to move to:

Canon Powershot IS
Panasonic FZ10
Minolta Z2
Kodak Easyshare 6490
HP photosmart 945
Panasonic FZ3

I might wait until my birthday in october to get a camera if the others will be that much better.

In the first group the Olympus C740 would get my nod.

In the second group the FZ10 would be the first choice and the S1 IS second. Image Stabilized lenses are just a pleasure to use.

It becomes a personal preference as to size and feel. The difference between 3.2 and 4 Megapixels is not a huge factor.

Your suggestion to wait is a tough one, but the FZ3 looks like it could be very close to your budget, and still offer the fun stuff.

KingKong
07-29-2004, 06:18 PM
So as long as I was using a tripod for long range shots, the 740 would be fine?

Jake Conner
07-29-2004, 09:48 PM
Yeah... but think about how much more fun everything would be if you got to leave your tripod at home!

Jake

pfuedy
07-30-2004, 12:52 AM
After i have read all the information I am a little confused. Can you help me, which camera I should buy now? :eek:

Panasonic DMC-FZ10?
Canon Powershot S1 IS?
Kodak EasyShare DX6490?

or an other one (price up to US$ 500)? I also would like to take it with me for diving and make sport pictures.

If you could help me, that would be great.

Thank you

pfuedy

(Sorry for my english :D )

John_Reed
07-30-2004, 07:10 AM
After i have read all the information I am a little confused. Can you help me, which camera I should buy now? :eek:

Panasonic DMC-FZ10?
Canon Powershot S1 IS?
Kodak EasyShare DX6490?

or an other one (price up to US$ 500)? I also would like to take it with me for diving and make sport pictures.

If you could help me, that would be great.

Thank you

pfuedy

(Sorry for my english :D )
No need to apologize for your English! Of the 3 cameras you mentioned, I would think that the Canon model would work the best; it's smaller than the other two, and Canon offers a waterproof underwater housing as an accessory for it. And with its IS system, I think it's better equipped for sport photos than the Kodak.

KingKong
07-30-2004, 08:04 AM
An uncexpected change of events! It's possible that I could get the FZ10 now because I'm being offered $150 to do a magazine logo.