PDA

View Full Version : Best Camera Choice ...

DonSchap
02-14-2007, 11:57 AM
Okay, here it is ... a full year later and you can pick your new digital SLR camera system from the list. Lots of players this time. :rolleyes:

Please try and justify your choice in the thread (as even bad decisions deserve their day in court - LOL ) ... and yes, you can pick more than one ... but, for the sake of logic and reasoning, we'd all probably like to know why you chose what you did.

DonSchap
02-14-2007, 12:15 PM
Wisely ... I hope!

Canon - as a replacement to my vanishing Minolta system, back in Oct 2005.

SONY - as a resurrection solution to all my old Minolta-glass, in July 2006.

My goodness a lot can happen in 8 months. :rolleyes:

All I know for sure, is that I sure wound up with a carload of glass for all this effort. :cool:

I must have been out of my Mind with Minolta <- there is supposed to be a joke or pun in there, somewhere ... dig deep.

mandarins
02-14-2007, 03:13 PM
Canon -
I've been really pleased with my XT and the selection of products and accessories that go with it.

Also, Canon's general customer support have been extremely helpful, fast, and easy to get a hold of over the phone.

T06
02-14-2007, 05:14 PM
Because it just is.:D
Actually I had my sights set on a Canon 20D. I wanted the 5D but thought it to be out of my reach at the time. Was ready to buy one off of ebay when the "D200" appeared out of the mist. Always thought of Nikon as the exotic, as they were when I was a kid growing up, so one look at the specs on the D200 & I was hook line & sinker. Bought the sucker off ebay as I have with all of my equipment.;)

forno
02-14-2007, 05:16 PM
CMOS, ISO, lenses

Rhys
02-14-2007, 05:32 PM
Canon - it has a full-fame camera in its lineup.

Nickcanada
02-14-2007, 05:39 PM
canon, because it was on sale.:cool: :cool:

SpecialK
02-14-2007, 08:07 PM
Mid 1976 - Fuji screwmount.
Late 1976/Early 1977 - Canon EF (the $300 brass brick with 50mm 1.8...) Collected (and kept) Canon 15mm, 24mm, 35-105mm, 100-200mm, Sigma 600 mirror, an AE-1 and T-90 body. Had a 35mm TS briefly in my early "insanity" period.

Had a Bronica 6x6 with 2 lenses for a few years in the mid-80's (also part of my "insanity period").

Photography hobby generally dwindled to the point I had all the stuff in the closet after about 1995 - I just did not want to lug it all around anymore.

2005, came into a bit of extra $$$ though a previous employment profit-sharing plan. Got HDTV, DVR, etc, and decided to check out a new-fangled digital camera - just to see if I could get back into the swing of it. (Oh, I sold all my film stuff for about $500 :-)

Got an A95 which was pretty nice at the time. Stolen in a burglary. Replaced with an A620 (even nicer). However, the lack of zoom range, particularly w-i-d-e, was limiting. So...

In November 2006 I checked out DSLRs. Canon and Nikon were nice but too expensive, lenses particularly. Also, I found that Canon = little hands, Nikon = big hands.

The Pentax K100D had good reviews, decent features, reasonable price, and there was a 10-17mm fisheye available:-) I think it was really the right choice - for me. I'm not too much of a pixel peeper though I shoot RAW now and clunk around in the Pentax Photo Laboratory, which in fact does all I seem to need (except dust-spotting for which I use Ember). The camera does have a tiny buffer - though not an issue for me as I don't shoot sports/action. The WB has to be set to tungsten as the AWB only goes down to 4000K - again no issue for me as I'm shooting RAW.

I make a point to go out every weekend - somewhere - to shoot. So now, I'm lugging it all over again. What happened?

Sorry for my long story.

Honest Gaza
02-14-2007, 08:23 PM
Canon.....becuase I asked everyone for their opinions, ignored them all, and got what I wanted.........sound familiar ? :D

DonSchap
02-15-2007, 06:47 AM
Isn't that the mantra of the DCRP:

Ask all the important questions, get your answers and then run right out and buy whatever the salesman cons you into, believing you, all by your lonesome, have discovered the "new world" or something? :rolleyes: Then come back and espouse your revelation about this new purchase.

Before I joined DCRP and had the benefit of the knowledge base, I personally took the time to examine the Nikon D70s and the Canon EOS 20D, side by side. They were the two "medium guns" on the market and I checked them for overall "fit and feel", use of controls and lensing change-outs. Line progression, for upgrading, was important, because I was building a system. Within a week, I had my new system start and went to work on rounding it out.

Yes, the D70s went back.

Of course, all I could do was keep thinking about all that silent Minolta-glass, sitting in my bags ... waiting for a Minolta-mount digital body to get them producing something, again. 8-10 months later, SONY to the rescue. (Better late than never? :rolleyes: )

Hey, the SONY may not be for everyone ... but if you all ready have an investment in decent Minolta-glass ... you're in denial not to at least consider it, before dumping scads of cash into a new intro-system. I suspect that ol' money-tree, out back, is lookin' a little mean and lean, these days.

BEFORE CANON LENS PURCHASES .................................................. ................... AFTER! :eek:

For around $800, you can learn everything you need to with the SONY A100 ... using your old glass. When you decide to leap to full-frame ... and want to get your "L" collection .... Canon knows you're coming and they've priced the stuff accordingly. :p

Nesster
02-15-2007, 07:57 AM
Pentax - because I have lenses in the mount and there's better backward compatibility than N or C.... Oh, and SR.

cwphoto
02-15-2007, 04:11 PM
Canon; the chamber was (luckily) empty...

britkev
02-15-2007, 04:56 PM
My D50 and I just celebrated our first anniversary...

Used to have a Pentax ME Super many years ago, but lost interest in photography for a decade or so... started getting into it again with a Sony Mavica FD (that actually cost me more when I bought it than my D50 did last year :eek: ) - that got stolen and replaced with a 3MP Olympus that expired three days after its warranty... moved to Nikon CP5700... started lusting after the D70 but couldn't cost justify it , then got caught up in megapixel madness and "upgraded" to the Coolpix 8700...

Got tired of pictures of the sofa my rapidly growing daughter had been playing in front of half a second previously, and a trip to Disney finally provided justification for a DSLR. Had played with my sisters Digital Rebel and although there was nothing wrong from a performance perspective I just didn't like the way it felt in my hands; considered the Pentax offerings at the time and none impressed; was still PO'd with Olympus and their lack of sympathy with my P&S, so Nikon it had to be. Price differential with the D70 was still quite significant so although I did prefer it's slightly larger heavier form I plumped for the D50...

5,500 shots later I'm not at all disappointed and mulling options to improve my glass collection in the next week or two when my bonus check and tax refund arrive.

some guy
02-16-2007, 08:50 AM
Hey.... I don't see Agfa being listed on the choices! :mad:

DonSchap
02-16-2007, 10:59 AM
Hey.... I don't see Agfa being listed on the choices! :mad:

"Agfa" comes under the nefraious heading of: "OTHER!"

Check it off with your vote and lay on us your "sob story" for why you chose it.

LR Max
02-16-2007, 12:28 PM
I run a D70s. Mainly because I got a deal on it and I've always wanted a D70s. I didn't like the rebel series too much. Well appointed camera but I didn't like the feel.

At the magazine, everyone runs nikon. One freelance guy runs around with a 20D but everyone else is a nikonian. At the paper, most people use canon. I've had a direct comparison between my D70s and another photographers 30D. The 30D was a little nicer, but then again with technology, its a year newer and 400 bucks more. It damn well better be nicer!! She had a battery grip on it. I kinda thought that was something else to add weight and was useless. The battery in my D70s lasts for freakin' ever.

Whenever someone asks me about nikon and canon, I say its like Ford and Chevy. Pick your brand. Both work very well.

In non DSLR category, I have two sony point n' shoots (DSC-P8 and P10). Both work well. Bought the P10 second hand. Its no D70s but it fulfills the roll perfectly. I'll probably never buy another point n' shoot as long as this one doesn't crap out. I think the sony DSC cameras are awesome for that category, but their higher-end cameras seem to leave a lot desired and at a premium price. Above the point n' shoot category, I never recommend sony equipment.

I also used to run a Fuji Finepix S602Z. Great fixed lense semi-not-really-pro-like camera. Great camera but I outgrew it. Some days I wish I hadn't sold it but I wouldn't have used it again now that I have a DSLR. One of my friends used to run a Fuji S2. Badass camera but outdated, considering its based on the N80 chassis. It took great pictures and Fujis seem to take great photos. But like the Sonys, at a premium brand new. You can save so much $$$ by buying a D200 compared to the new S5. They are both highly similar (considering they both have the same chassis). I've always considered Fujis to be the best, but could never justify the cost.

However, it always seems like its about the lenses more than the actual camera. If you've got good glass, thats the main concern. Nikon and Canon both produce great glass.

coldrain
02-16-2007, 01:56 PM
"Agfa" comes under the nefraious heading of: "OTHER!"

Check it off with your vote and lay on us your "sob story" for why you chose it.
Agfa? Agfa belongs in a belly up list, not a digital camera list...

DonSchap
02-16-2007, 02:33 PM
I want to thank everyone, so far, who has participated in the poll.

I get the feeling that it is vitally important that we vent our feelings about the brand of camera we:

bought,
will buy,
are currently considering to buy,
mistakenly bought and are just stuck with,
could afford, but really want a much better one,
... uh, well, whatever! You get the idea.

Please, if you haven't posted your camera and why ... do so, because WE WANT TO KNOW what it was that drove you to such a decision.

Was it:

the incredible array of lenses you can use,
the "feel" of the camera in your hands,
the quality of the camera, itself,
the sticker price,
your mother bought it for you ... for graduation! (Hey, it could happen! :eek: )

Whatever the reason ... enjoy yourself and tell us about it. It's not good to keep those pent up feelings inside. :p

TenD
02-16-2007, 03:01 PM
It was marketed very heavily in the early 80s when I needed a camera for college. My friends AE-1 and Canon's marketing sent me to downtown Chicago to put my money down for a black body(looked cooler)AE-1. I bought it with a 50mm f/1.8, that was the only lens I was allowed to use for class.
When Canon introduced the EOS system I plunked down my money for an A2 and later an EOS 3. I thought digital was a novelty and waited a quite a while before buying a digital camera.
My first digital was a concorde EyeQ 1 mp compact I purchased to take photos for ebay. It worked OK and I fell in love with the instant feedback. I purchased a Canon S30 and committed myself to using it exclusively for a year. It didn't last a year(I gave it to my parents) when I started eying the G series. I found myself with a G2 when the price fell with the introduction of the G3. About a year later I bought a 10D and have been using it ever since.
This summer I will probably purchase a second body, either a 20D or 30D, or I will keep an eye out for the next consumer aps C body.

LR Max
02-16-2007, 04:14 PM
To be perfectly honest, I was at my local camera shop and picked up some advertising booklets on the D50 and the D70s. I read about both of them and wanted the D70s but came to the conclusion that I could only afford a D50.

Fast forward a year and for whatever reason I was looking at specs on all the cameras of that class. The XT, D70s, and D50 all seemed to be pretty good. Then one night I got drunk and got on ebay. There was a deal on a refurb D70s on there and then a few days later there was a nikon box on my porch and a hole in my bank account.

I will admit, buying camera equipment on impulse drunk isn't a good idea. But once you've made your decision, being drunk makes it easier to click the order button!!

I really think buying used/refurb equipment is the way to go. Refurb bodies is the way to go while used lenses is the way to go. The only reason I bought my lense new was because it was cheaper than buying it used (if you can believe that).

p.du.v
02-16-2007, 05:53 PM
Canon (400D).

I spent a good couple of weeks reading up on all the different brands of SLR. I'd pretty much narrowed my choice down to a D70/80 or a 400D, went down to the local camera shop, and asked to have a hold of the two types.

Canon felt comfortable in my hands, moulded in nicely. Nikon felt kind of like a tank.

I went Canon and have no regretted it yet. I leeerve my 400D :D.

Rontech1
02-16-2007, 07:16 PM
I want to thank everyone, so far, who has participated in the poll.

I get the feeling that it is vitally important that we vent our feelings about the brand of camera we:

bought,
will buy,
are currently considering to buy,
mistakenly bought and are just stuck with,
could afford, but really want a much better one,
... uh, well, whatever! You get the idea.

Please, if you haven't posted your camera and why ... do so, because WE WANT TO KNOW what it was that drove you to such a decision.

Was it:

the incredible array of lenses you can use,
the "feel" of the camera in your hands,
the quality of the camera, itself,
the sticker price,
your mother bought it for you ... for graduation! (Hey, it could happen! :eek: )

Whatever the reason ... enjoy yourself and tell us about it. It's not good to keep those pent up feelings inside. :p

Bought a Canon p&s S110 when they first came out. First venture into digital photo.
It worked so well that when I started to look at new ones Canon was the only one I considered.
Bought an S3IS. Great camera- but did not get to what we wanted.
Bought a 400d/XTi and have not looked back or regreted the decision at all.
Now the only thing is what glass/lens to buy:D
:eek: See wallet draining right now:eek:
Ron

mjsneddon
02-16-2007, 08:41 PM
Why do the percentages total more than 100? Or is this pole like a sports thing where athletes routinely "give 110%"?

Have a good weekend.

mjsneddon
02-16-2007, 08:46 PM
My decision to purchase a Canon dSLR was based on already having a few Canon lenses that I used with my Canon film bodies. My decision to purchase a Canon film SLR several years before that was based on advice from a friend that has worked in a camera shop for 40+ years (I actually was looking to acquire a Nikon SLR).

DonSchap
02-16-2007, 11:02 PM
Why do the percentages total more than 100? Or is this pole like a sports thing where athletes routinely "give 110%"?

Have a good weekend.

Just weird way the percentages fall out when you vote for more than one of the option, as I did. When I voted for the SONY & the Canon, because I use both, each vote was listed at 100%. I thought it strange at the time and still do.

I'm sure someone can 'splain why this is, but it does make for a rather unusual total. I guess I didn't split the vote in half (50% Canon & 50% SONY), but it is being count as two whole (100%) votes.

I do not believe anyone else has voted for two or more systems, but they do have that option available to them, if that is the case ... making the % even more screwy.

Daubs
02-19-2007, 03:31 PM
After many years shooting film with the Minolta X-700 I finally got into the digital realm with a point-and-shoot Sony. Liked the compact size and ability to shoot lots of pics on one memory card. Served us well for quite a while...but got the itch to get back towards the SLR's. So got to looking and purchased a Nikon D80 a few weeks back. Love the camera...still learning all the features and goodies. Just picked up the 50mm f/1.4 today! Wow, what a lens.

Picked the Nikon after reading tons of reviews and nosing around this site for a while. Not afraid to spend $$$ on quality equipment, cause I know I'm going to take care of it and have for a long time.

Robert Besen
02-19-2007, 07:14 PM
Konical Minolta 5D. I bought it the day it showed up in my local camera store (Mike's Camera, in Boulder, CO) because I wanted the in camera anti-shake. I'm very happy with it, although the auto focus crapped out and I had to have it repaired (out of waranty - ouch.)

scatamousche
02-20-2007, 08:12 AM
I started out with a Minolta film camera 30 years ago while I was in college but had a long hiatus before getting back into photography with a 2 megapixel Kodak camera. That camera wasn't great by today's standards unless shooting in the macro mode. I still have some converted black and white pictures of flowers I took with that camera hanging on my wall and they look pretty decent IMHO.

I decided to spend some serious money on my next digital and purchased the Canon Powershot Pro 90 IS. I took lots of good shots with that one before moving on to a couple of other digital cameras, the Panasonic Lumix FZ10 (because it had an manual focus ring) and the Canon S2 IS. I have since given the Pro 90 to my wife and the Panasonic to my step daughter.

I recently made the jump to DSLR and because I had good luck with Canon before got the Rebel XTI (400D). I had read that the kit lens that comes with this camera isn't all that great so I just bought the body along with the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM. I have taken some pretty good wildlife shots with this setup but am occasionally having some back focus problems especially at the 300mm end of the zoom. I have gotten around this by just taking a lot of extra shots & tossing the fuzzy ones. I guess eventually I will have it looked at so I can increase my percentage of good shots.

My latest acquisition it the Canon 60mm macro and an off-brand ring flash. That has given me consistently good pictures (or at least more consistently than the zoom).

Cheers,
Scatamousche

aparmley
02-20-2007, 04:38 PM
I choose Olympus because when I first started looking into DSLRs I went to a local brick and mortar, the doods behind the counter said it was the best system available! Rock on you dumbasses, rock on! :cool:

marypennie
02-20-2007, 06:55 PM
Canon - probably because of their marketing.

<Getting over my shame to post this> I had no inkling of what cameras were on the market prior to choosing my XTi, but I knew I wanted a good one. Canon's had a good reputation and I had heard of the Rebel, so I told the husband that's what I wanted for Christmas.

Two months of learning and playing and buying more Canon stuff for my camera, and I don't have one regret.

Lilchilichoco
02-25-2007, 05:08 AM
Why is that the sony,despite having image stabilization,which in my EXTREMELY:o humble opinion,is really imptortant...well,to me it is.....yet canon and nikon systems without the IS and far more expensive systems seem to be everyone's choice? Is the reason:

1. Scepticism about Sony's capability vis a vis the other brands

2. Too long a history of Canon and Nikon

3. Konica-Minolta's reputation as established to be below Canon and Nikon And now carries over to Sony.

4. Sony's really bad,has ruined KM's system as well.

5.In camera IS doesn't work as well as IS glass.

6. all of the above.

The only reason Sony is recommended seems to be: If you have KM's glass.

In my part of the world,we do not get cameras for test shoots. Once you buy a cam,unless there's a technical fault,it cannot be returned on the plea of "not happy".

I am going to end up in an asylum:eek::confused::rolleyes:

DonSchap
02-25-2007, 12:13 PM
I am a little stunned to NOT see at least one Samsung, SIGMA, Kodak or (and this really stuns me) Fujifilm owner.

Where are these people hiding and how can these companies stay in business with no customers?

Ok, SIGMA can use theirs as a spin-off, but I would imagine that the others need to have some kind of following.

I have met more than a few Fujifilm owners ... so I know they are out there, but I cannot say the same for Kodak or Samsung. I would have hoped at least one Fujifilm-owner would be on the forum just for the sake of BALANCE. :eek:

So lets hear some more stories about your decisions for the type of camera you bought ... Canon, Nikon, Pentax ... I already tend to know why people buy the SONY ... but I say surprise us, anyway. :cool:

For example:

"I bought a SONY because I found it to be the best IS-equipped bodied camera available ... Minolta lensing is rather cost-effective and readily available ... I like having all the information on the rear of the camera ... plus that proprietary K-M (post 1995) style hot-shoe keeps other camera users and third party-flashes from using my camera, because they are totally incompatible. ;) "

or,

"I went with Canon, because I know when I grow up and get a full-frame EOS 5D, EOS 1Ds MKIIN or EOS 1D MkIII ... I going to need to have and use some of the most expensive glass ever made on the planet Earth. So I wanted to start early, with my little EOS Rebel XTi and slap all this high-priced glass right on ... when I take pictures of Junior. Going from $650 body to a $4000 body ... is a big step, but I want to learn on $1700 zoom and $2000 PRIME super-fast lensing before I make it."

or,

"I decided on Nikon, because, like my father before me, I am a Jed... uh, a photographer. He had several Nikkor lens and I am familiar with how they work. Also, I noted that both Peter Parker, of the Daily Bugle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daily_Bugle) and Jimmy Olsen of the Daily Planet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daily_Planet) use these cameras. You never know when old Supes or the Spider-guy might drop in."

Chile
02-25-2007, 01:43 PM

Yes. Absolutely, and without question.

Sony in and of themselves make digital cameras that operate like cheap vcr's. The A100 is a better camera, but that's because Sony bought the DSLR research and development from Konica Minolta during the fire sale.

The Memory Stick used by Sony is inclusive to and interchangeable almost exclusively with only other Sony products. If I own a (in my view) much more superior Panasonic Television, my Memory Stick doesn't work. However, if I own a Pentax/Nikon/Canon/Panasonic...even a Kodak or Samsung, I have no problem finding that the slots work.

The cost of the camera line, in my view, is overpriced as well.

I'd prefer a Fuji, Olympus or a Pentax over a Sony. In point and shoot cameras, I prefer Canon because the controls are more intuitive, easier to read.

3. Konica-Minolta's reputation as established to be below Canon and Nikon And now carries over to Sony.

That's a semi-qualified opinion. I operate an R2 series photo lab manufactured by Konica. I use Konica paper and chemicals.

The Konica Minolta point and click cameras had a problem of lineage. Not every digital camera with the name on the front was made by Konica Minolta.

In comparison to many other manufacturers, KM always felt kind of cheap in the hands. The image quality was, in my view, not as significant as some might make it to be.

I have no idea about this. The A100 is a great camera at the price, but many people go to Canon or Nikon simply because many brick and mortar shops carry more lenses for these two brands.

Sony's still camera reputation and lack of interchangeability sort of remove a lot of interest in the point and click market. Having a great lens is not enough, imho.

If the camera can take a great shot without IS. Then IS, regardless of which design, will make the shots better.

6. all of the above.

If I had a choice between Panasonic and Sony, I would take Panasonic any day of the week.

@ DonSchap

"I own a Nikon D-40. I am quite new to photography, but I recognize that the D-40 body is not the body I will use in three (or even two) years when I move on to something better. While I could have waited several more months to save for a D-80 body, the D-40 appears to do everything I need right now. In the months between the D-40 purchase and the next upgrade, I have the potential to shoot several hundred dollars worth of photos, and produce shots worth much more to me on a personal level.

As an erstwhile (and formally trained) artist and designer, I like that the D-40 can produce decent results without my intervention, but that I can move to manual settings as needed. This camera is ideal to capture the moment without much fuss, and the basic "no flash" option on the camera coupled with reasonable low light shooting, and the size of the body, make the camera a nice memory grabber for those trips to the Museum. I have already produced 8x10 prints from my trip to the Glenbow Museum here in Calgary which are stunning."

cwphoto
02-25-2007, 02:15 PM
Why is that the sony,despite having image stabilization,which in my EXTREMELY:o humble opinion,is really imptortant...well,to me it is.....yet canon and nikon systems without the IS and far more expensive systems seem to be everyone's choice? Is the reason:

6. all of the above.

The only reason Sony is recommended seems to be: If you have KM's glass.

In my part of the world,we do not get cameras for test shoots. Once you buy a cam,unless there's a technical fault,it cannot be returned on the plea of "not happy".

I am going to end up in an asylum:eek::confused::rolleyes:

I'm a pro so the choice was really only between Nikon and Canon - so I flipped a coin.

Intertestingly, I would have considered Leica had they adopted AF.

Riley
02-25-2007, 06:11 PM
I'm a pro so the choice was really only between Nikon and Canon - so I flipped a coin.

Intertestingly, I would have considered Leica had they adopted AF.

that isnt going to happen anytime soon
word is a new R10 is out there somewhere and it will be digital FF
that instead of the DMR which just ceased production

Rhys
02-25-2007, 07:48 PM
When I went for my Canon XT I researched hard and couldn't really make up my mind between the XT and 20D. Nikon had been ruled out because they didn't support my existing MF lens lineup.

I like Canon's IQ and I like the fact they have a full-frame camera in their lineup.

As far as the quality of the XT, it's variable. Sometimes it'll produce a decent photo and sometimes it won't. Basically as it doesn't really do manual mode in any meaningful manner we're stuck with AP, SP, program (with shift) or a scene mode. Focus is equally horrible with focus being accurate most of the time but with uncertainty of exactly how well it will focus. I have several shots where the focus is wildly off, slightly off or where I had to resort to manual focus when it just wouldn't focus.

By the time I'd bought the battery grip for the XT I was pretty well at the 20D price point.

If you go Canon then don't get the XT/XTi. Go for the 5D instead.

Riley
02-25-2007, 08:01 PM
what then of 30D the Rhys ?

aparmley
02-26-2007, 12:50 PM
If you go Canon then don't get the XT/XTi. Go for the 5D instead.

Rhys, you realize that the Xti and 5D are marketed to totally different users right?

DonSchap
02-26-2007, 12:55 PM
Yeah ... the 5D is marketed toward the FULLFRAME NEWBIES

and the XTi is for the rest of NEWBIES, right?

cwphoto
02-26-2007, 01:41 PM
Yeah ... the 5D is marketed toward the FULLFRAME NEWBIES

and the XTi is for the rest of NEWBIES, right?

No, the 5D isn't for 'newbies' Don. :rolleyes:

Lilchilichoco
02-26-2007, 02:05 PM
So what should an absolute newbie novice who KNOWS he/she is in for the long haul buy?

;) Sorry!! I couldn't resist asking!!

DonSchap
02-26-2007, 02:49 PM
No, the 5D isn't for 'newbies' Don. :rolleyes:

I did say "FULLFRAME NEWBIES", I do believe.

Are there other FULLFRAME sensor rigs available? I didn't catch what they were ...

How do you qualify the EOS 1Ds MK IIN? Wouldn't that be the more advanced rig for the FULLFRAME non-NEWB?

The EOS 1D Mk III doesn't qualify as full frame, so it is OUT!

cwphoto
02-26-2007, 02:51 PM
How do you qualify the EOS 1Ds MK IIN? Wouldn't that be the more advanced rig for the FULLFRAME non-NEWB?

Don, do you know something the rest of us don't? :confused:

DonSchap
02-26-2007, 02:52 PM
So what should an absolute newbie novice who KNOWS he/she is in for the long haul buy?

;) Sorry!! I couldn't resist asking!!

I'd still go with the SONY A100 for just about everyone else. It's a great starter camera, has all the bells and whistles you probably need, and lensing won't kill ya!

Opinions differ and YMMV. :cool:

If you are planning on building a serious glass collection, then you may want to lean toward the Canon system ... but make sure those pockets are deep ... because they certainly will. ;)

DonSchap
02-26-2007, 03:01 PM
Don, do you know something the rest of us don't? :confused:

Does the Mk III mark the end of FULLFRAME as we know it? :eek:

You tell me! :confused:

IS there a EOS 1Ds MK III in the woods, too ... with a monster highlight sensor (24GB)?

TenD
02-26-2007, 03:59 PM
Does the Mk III mark the end of FULLFRAME as we know it?

You tell me!

Canon has always stated they will keep 3 sensor sizes. FF for maximum quality, 1.3x for best quality with best speed, and 1.6x for all of the rest.

cwphoto
02-26-2007, 04:40 PM
IS there a EOS 1Ds MK III in the woods, too ... with a monster highlight sensor (24GB)?

Yes.

If anything I reckon 1.3x has to go (thought it was gone this time) eventually.

It doesn't have a lens system specifcally designed for it.

coldrain
02-26-2007, 05:21 PM
Canon has always stated they will keep 3 sensor sizes. FF for maximum quality, 1.3x for best quality with best speed, and 1.6x for all of the rest.
Canon actually stated some time ago already that they would move to full frame totally, bar the consumer APS-C lines. So, like CW, I am surprised a bit too that they are still coming with an 1.3x crop factor sensor. Maybe photographers asked for it (the extra tele reach) or maybe it is to keep the costs down (full frame still is expensive to produce).

cwphoto
02-26-2007, 05:23 PM
Canon actually stated some time ago already that they would move to full frame totally, bar the consumer APS-C lines. So, like CW, I am surprised a bit too that they are still coming with an 1.3x crop factor sensor. Maybe photographers asked for it (the extra tele reach) or maybe it is to keep the costs down (full frame still is expensive to produce).

My new prediction is that this will be the last 1.3x we will see.

DonSchap
02-26-2007, 06:03 PM
After looking at the poll results, so far, the SONY seems to be doing pretty good, for a "Johnny-come-lately". The intro-product was good ... now, how about a pro-level product?

Canon has a big draw and there's a lot to be said for consistancy, even though it seems pretty expensive.

Nikon is as powerful as we thought, also ... but they are using a major marketing campaign leveraged on the backs of the local vendors. Any "instant rebates" aren't getting refunded back to the vendors in a timely fashion for the vendor to make a decent "stay-in-business" profit. Without the vendor support, how much longer can Nikon keep it up?

As for the rest ... who knows? :rolleyes:

TenD
02-26-2007, 06:14 PM
I guess I should have been more specific. You are correct, I can't find the interview I read, but I read it just before the introduction of the 30D. People were speculating on the stated goal of FF at Canon and the executive stated they planned on using the sensor size to it's fullest right now. FF for best quality and to use 35mm lenses as they were intended, 1.3x for maximum speed, and 1.6 for everything else. I just looked, but I can't find that interview.

Esoterra
02-26-2007, 08:42 PM
Nikon all the way. Trying 3rd party lenses on my D200/D70s I have had mixed and inconsistent results. Now that I have upgraded to Nikkor glass that all goes away. Every time I mount my 70-200 VR on my D200 I get giddy whilst shooting in bliss... fast, quiet, incredible bokeh, focus is spot on, and sharp images without in camera fidgeting. I have used the Canon 5D and the 30D, and they are awesome camera's in their own right! For my taste, I prefer the ergonomics and button layout of my Nikons.

It's great to have options!

DonSchap
03-09-2007, 08:00 AM
PMA is going strong ... which camera line rings your bell and why? :confused:

sbnr
03-10-2007, 01:03 AM
Just recently bought a Nikon D50 with the 50mm prime. :D

I would of gotten a Canon 20D, but I figured for a lot less money I could get a Nikon D50 and recycle the lens that I already have with my Nikon N8008 SLR.

I love Canon [my favorite p & s is a PowerShot A620], but I think Nikon won me over with it's softer & more vivid looking pix.

You can't go wrong with either one....basically choosing between Coke and Pepsi.

I vote Nikon.

DonSchap
03-13-2007, 09:10 AM
Well, PMA came and went without much hoorah ... pickin's have been kind of slim these past twelve months. Must one heck of a surprise coming this Fall, I guess.

Who knows, maybe SONY will cut loose with its professional model DSLR! OMG :eek: wouldn't that put the "shut up" in some conversations? What do you think? 1.3x or FF 16.7 MP with Anti-shake? They are kind of committed, as G-glass doesn't have in-the-lens stability and they have warehouses full of the stuff.

They certainly have the audience panting ... :D Minolta always did like to lead the pack.

Riley
03-13-2007, 09:33 AM
did you see the Sony mockup/prototypes Don
OM4Ti ?

DonSchap
03-13-2007, 01:15 PM
Initially, this was all heresay and conjecture based on conversations ... or lack thereof, by the SONY reps. They were being very tight-lipped about the engineering effort ... probably to blitz-kreig the competition. I cannot validate the actual content of any one conversation or subject. I've also had my own suspicions ... but, this is simply puttin' what little there was available @ PMA out there.

If anyone has anything disqualifying these "rumors", step up, step up. :)

Edit: I came by some images ... follow the thread down ... it gets better :)

cdifoto
03-13-2007, 01:47 PM
Nah,

This was all heresay and conjecture based on conversations ... or lack thereof, by the SONY reps. They are being very tight-lipped about the engineering effort ... probably to blitz-kreig the competition. I cannot validate the actual content of anyone one conversation or subject. I've also had my own suspicions ... but, this is simply puttin' what little there was available @ PMA out there.

If anyone has anything disqualifying these "rumors", step up, step up. :)

So you're basically just making shit up as you go.

You haven't qualified your own rumors for anyone else to even have to disqualify them.

DonSchap
03-13-2007, 02:00 PM
So you're basically just making shit up as you go.

You haven't qualified your own rumors for anyone else to even have to disqualify them.

You are a scrapper, Don ... I'll give you that.

Here are the photos that validate this effort, okay? They are being termed as "System Expansion" cameras.

The camera on the left is an updated A100-design. They are both missing the "mode knob", on the left-hand side, as you look at it. I suspect that has been relegated to electronic menu-control.

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r289/donschap/camera&#37;20stuff/00209_sony_alpha_pma_2007_zoom0.jpg

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r289/donschap/camera%20stuff/00209_sony_alpha_pma_2007_zoom3.jpg

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r289/donschap/camera%20stuff/00209_sony_alpha_pma_2007_zoom1.jpg

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r289/donschap/camera%20stuff/00209_sony_alpha_pma_2007_zoom2.jpg

The camera on the right is the Pro-level design ... looks like it comes with a removable or modified pentaprism and has a kick-butt f/1.4 optic on the front of it. Flanking the sides of these two cameras were eight, as yet, un-identified optics. I wish I had gone to PMA to see this thing and had gotten a better feel for it's capability. I think you are looking at Minolta's 9D design. It has the new grip-sensor on the front of it, which was on the Minolta Maxxum 9 35mm-film camera.

I know I certain would like to get my hands on one of those Battery-Grips! A single battery only goes so far.

You can clearly tell this is not a REWRAP of the KM-7D design ...
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r289/donschap/camera%20stuff/km7d01.jpg

I suggest that SONY has some serious plans for the upcoming year ... but then again, what do I know? It's just a HOBBY with me, right?

did you see the Sony mockup/prototypes Don
OM4Ti ?

Riley, were these the prototypes you were aware of?

DonSchap
03-13-2007, 06:44 PM
Either I have great shock value ... or you guys are ... dare I say it, speechless?

Hey ... come on ... comments! Pony up! :D :D :D

Rooz
03-13-2007, 08:46 PM
off topic...Don, have been meaning to ask you this...why do you have so many cameras/ lens/ gear ? are you a collector ?

Riley
03-13-2007, 09:35 PM
Yes thats them Don

DonSchap
03-14-2007, 07:16 AM
Nice catch, Riley ... it made me dig a little deeper into the stew to find them. Thanks. :D

Rooz: off topic...Don, have been meaning to ask you this...why do you have so many cameras/ lens/ gear ? are you a collector ?

Like anyone of my particular age:

I've been at this a while
and have created a pile.
I'd like to sell it at a good price,
but that's just not my style.

So here it sits ... kept in great condition and occasionally getting used. :)

This reminds of a question I have for Bill Gates: "Bill, you've got so many currency bills of the same type ... are you a collector? Want to help me with my collection?"

DonSchap
03-22-2007, 08:31 AM
If you haven't VOTED ... here's your chance to commit to your future photography buying efforts for ALL to see! :eek:

Canon has a rather impressive lead ... but Nikon, as one might expect ... is right along the way.

Got a manufacturer's "bag" in mind? Vote your desire!

Thanks!

ode to veeck
03-28-2007, 07:26 PM
OK I registered so I could vote, but suprizingly, I voted for Canon in spite of the fact I have a ton of Nikkor glass and F3, D1X, 14N (new sensor), 2DX bodies.

Fact of the matter is if I were doing it again today, I'd go with Canon for a number of reasons: (1) better glass available, e.g. 85/1.2, 1st for a few years with 300/2.8 IS, and much faster than Nikon in offering say 84/1.4AF (the later not available for years after AF showed up) and those tan teles really do stay cooler (while I cover my long Nikkors with my scorecards and program at baseball games and jazz festivals), (2) Canon doesn't screw their customers as badly as Nikon does (except on sticker price)---case in point my grey market D1X body which Nikon won't repair or upgrade at any price--like they didn't make any money when they sold it into the grey market!?! Sure, older Nikon glass does have some really interesting unique items (like my trusty 35/1.4 or the 8mm fisheye and viewer I am still kicking myslef letting go at the Oakland Tribune auction), but for top end pro glass pieces, Nikon is playing catch up these days and has been for many years.

The unfortunate thing is it is hard to switch, as getting rid of a lot of old Nikkor choice pieces of glass and buying new and used Canon is more painful than selling old 2 1/4 equipment that doesn't have available digital backs, or like thinking about used prices and faster than IRS allows depreciation on a few years old high end D-SLRs.

Not that I am married to Canon as the greatest glass shop either, as I'm more partial to good german stuff, not just the Leica (Leitz) and Zeiss (Contax) 35mm/DSLR stuff, but expecially the large format stuff where I'm particularly fond of Rodenstock (though Schneider and Goerz ain't bad either)... but that's a different story.

JPW2020
03-29-2007, 01:20 PM
Well I've got to go Olympus having just bought one.

Dictated in part by a great deal on the twin lens kit and good reviews but also having first tried it I lked the handling of it compared to others.

Early days but I am pleased so far.