PDA

View Full Version : optical zoom for th rebel?

rebelowner
12-06-2004, 05:28 PM
I was wondering how to use the optical zoom for the canon digital rebel? The lens it came with is only 3X zoom. I don't get why it says 6X optical zoom if you can't use it.

Thanks in advance

Rebelowner

timmciglobal
12-06-2004, 05:56 PM
18>55 = 3

Where does rebel say it has a 6X zoom?

Tim

rebelowner
12-07-2004, 01:13 AM
Well I know it's 3x zoom, I could have sworn i saw somewhere it same 6.3 mpixel with 6X optical zoom but now it doesn't say it. Oh well i guess I was imagning it or it was another camera. I wish you didn't have to turn the lens to zoom in wish you could just press a button on the camera but i guess it's what SLR's do. It will take me awhile to get use too.

wishbone
12-07-2004, 06:39 AM
You will learn to love the control a manual zoom gives you versus the push button. My Minolta Dimage 5 has the manual zoom and after I got used to it, I couldn't imagine ever going back to a push button!

Good luck with the camera!

rebelowner
12-08-2004, 01:11 AM
Thanks I am slowly getting use to the camera. I really do like it. I also would like to know what's the best wide angle lens to get for the drebel?

Thanks

D70FAN
12-09-2004, 11:28 AM
Thanks I am slowly getting use to the camera. I really do like it. I also would like to know what's the best wide angle lens to get for the drebel?

Thanks

Non-"Fisheye" WA lenses...

In a Canon lens:

EF 14mm f2.8 USM (only $1799 :eek: )

Sigma lens:

14mm f2.8 EX Aspherical (only $899 :D )

Tamron Lens:

SP AF 14mm F/2.8 Aspherical (IF) Rectillinear (only $949 :) )

Nikkor makes a 10.5mm f2.8 DX "fisheye" for $619, but it only fits Nikon mount.

rebelowner
12-09-2004, 11:07 PM
WOW all of those lenses are way out of my price range. So i'll hold off or find a better deal for a wide angle lense somewhere.

D70FAN
12-10-2004, 07:42 AM
WOW all of those lenses are way out of my price range. So i'll hold off or find a better deal for a wide angle lense somewhere.

I think the problem is you asked for the "BEST" wide angle lenses. Additionally you need to define wide-angle. The lenses I suggested are very wide angle (and very fast at f2.8), and most of us can live with 18mm as the wide-angle base. This equates to about 27-28mm in most digital SLR's due to the crop factor of 1.5X to 1.6X versus 35mm film (which is the basis for focal length rating on standard SLR lenses).

If you bought the "kit" lens with your DReb, the wide-angle equates to 28mm which is easily wide enough for 99% of normal shooting needs. I use a Sigma 18-125 DC lens (about $270) for my everyday shooting (Nikon D70), and find that even for house interiors 27mm (18mm x 1.5) is fine.

Bon Foto.

ReF
12-12-2004, 02:39 AM
Canon 17-40mm @ around $660 not a bad price at all for L glass AND zoom
Canon 20mm 2.8 @ around 400 still decently wide. seems to be slightly under the 17-40mm in terms of optical quality but is pretty affordable.

check: http://www.photozone.de/2Equipment/easytxt.htm

both qualify for the canon rebel multiple-rebate deal.

as for myself, I personally cannot decide which one of these to get. spending the extra $260 for a much better lens should be a no-brainer, but at about 60% additional cost over the 20mm, it's really stretching my budget. seems rebel owners are always on a tight budget.

D70FAN
12-12-2004, 06:48 AM
Canon 17-40mm @ around $660 not a bad price at all for L glass AND zoom
Canon 20mm 2.8 @ around 400 still decently wide. seems to be slightly under the 17-40mm in terms of optical quality but is pretty affordable.

check: http://www.photozone.de/2Equipment/easytxt.htm

both qualify for the canon rebel multiple-rebate deal.

as for myself, I personally cannot decide which one of these to get. spending the extra $260 for a much better lens should be a no-brainer, but at about 60% additional cost over the 20mm, it's really stretching my budget. seems rebel owners are always on a tight budget.

D70 owners as well... ;)

ChicagoShooter
02-07-2005, 06:04 PM
I am heading out to several national parks in the northwest US this spring and am convinced that the EFS 18-55mm that comes with the DRebel package (US grey plastic) will probably be wide enough for the Glaciers, mountains, lakes, volcanoes, forests, and beaches I'll be shooting. (Check out www.adventure-crew.com)

I'm afraid to go too much wider than 18mm due to possible distortion of the scenery.

If you bought the recent $899 DRebel package from Ritz/Wolf, Circuit City, Walmart (Yah, really!) or Best Buy, you probably need to lens up instead of down. I bought a new Quantaray 100-300 that is a good medium zoom for a third of the Cannon price. So far so good. Seems that the main difference is the friction of the zoom action. Cannon's is dreamy smooth while the Quantaray moves like a lens 1/3 the price. Go figure.

MY next step is a powerful doubler. 300mm isn't even close for shooting killer wildlife close-ups. ("Killer" is just a phrase. Don't get crazy on me. Put your tongue back in your mouth and go back to hugging your tree.)

I am amazed at how much stuff costs for these things. I'm just grateful that I'm not even interested in medium format. Anyone recently seen B&H prices on Hassenblad stuff?

ChicagoShooter
02-08-2005, 08:11 AM
I was wondering how to use the optical zoom for the canon digital rebel? The lens it came with is only 3X zoom. I don't get why it says 6X optical zoom if you can't use it.

Thanks in advance

Rebelowner

To fully and technically answer your optical zoom query one needs to instruct you in the process of manually removing and replacing lenses. That is the only optical zoom that the Rebel has. It is by far the best system available.

If you are a little miffed by the requirement of manual zoom, merely invest in a broad spectrum zoom lens. I own a 100-300 which is not broad enough for me. But then, I shoot everything from macros to panaramas.

ChicagoShooter
Art Director
www.Adventure-Crew.com

D70FAN
02-08-2005, 09:10 AM
I am heading out to several national parks in the northwest US this spring and am convinced that the EFS 18-55mm that comes with the DRebel package (US grey plastic) will probably be wide enough for the Glaciers, mountains, lakes, volcanoes, forests, and beaches I'll be shooting. (Check out www.adventure-crew.com)

I'm afraid to go too much wider than 18mm due to possible distortion of the scenery.

If you bought the recent $899 DRebel package from Ritz/Wolf, Circuit City, Walmart (Yah, really!) or Best Buy, you probably need to lens up instead of down. I bought a new Quantaray 100-300 that is a good medium zoom for a third of the Cannon price. So far so good. Seems that the main difference is the friction of the zoom action. Cannon's is dreamy smooth while the Quantaray moves like a lens 1/3 the price. Go figure.

MY next step is a powerful doubler. 300mm isn't even close for shooting killer wildlife close-ups. ("Killer" is just a phrase. Don't get crazy on me. Put your tongue back in your mouth and go back to hugging your tree.)

I am amazed at how much stuff costs for these things. I'm just grateful that I'm not even interested in medium format. Anyone recently seen B&H prices on Hassenblad stuff?

You can actually go all the way down to 12-24 (Sigma ~$700) before distortion becomes a major post-processing task. I haven't used this lens, but my understanding is that it is pretty low distortion at 12mm.

As a good all-purpose lens you might want to look at the 18-125 (~$270)from Sigma, or the (not yet released) Tamron 18-200 (~$400).

As a final thought for wildlife (with a tripod) is the Sigma 50-500 (~$1000) or the Sigma 80-400 with Image Stabilization for about the same price.

Just throwing out some ideas.

ChicagoShooter
02-08-2005, 09:15 AM
Thanks, George. I've never heard (or read) anyone actually stating clear guidelines for the fisheye effect zone.

Unfortunately, the prices you quoted are too rich for me. I tend to look for used lenses and will do so now with better clarity as you've supplied some more information.

My rule of thumb on used equipment is to buy new camera bodies with full waranties but buy used lenses from reputable sources.

D70FAN
02-08-2005, 09:23 AM
Thanks, George. I've never heard (or read) anyone actually stating clear guidelines for the fisheye effect zone.

Unfortunately, the prices you quoted are too rich for me. I tend to look for used lenses and will do so now with better clarity as you've supplied some more information.

My rule of thumb on used equipment is to buy new camera bodies with full waranties but buy used lenses from reputable sources.

Cost is why these lenses are not in my stable (except the Sigma 18-125).

Unless the lens says "fish-eye" it is probably a "rectilinear type" lens. Since you buy used glass you probably want to stick with local camera stores so that you can try before you buy. Even the 18mm base wide-angle zoom lenses have some distortion at it's widest point.

You can generally correct, low to moderate, linear distortion nicely in post processing.

ChicagoShooter
02-08-2005, 09:35 AM
Does this Sigma 18-25 fit the DRebel?

D70FAN
02-08-2005, 09:43 AM
Does this Sigma 18-25 fit the DRebel?

Yes. Your local camera store should have the sigma 18-125 with Canon mount. There are a couple of DReb and 20D owners on this site that also use this lens.

This lens is not a panacea, but works very well as a day-to-day shooter. Some images from this lens can be viewed at:

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/gallery/197044/1/10922347

ChicagoShooter
02-08-2005, 09:46 AM
Good stuff. Thanks George. The 18-125 ought to be a more versatile tool than the 18-55 that came with.

I'll look into it.

Thanks for the good links, also.

Stu.

D70FAN
02-08-2005, 09:56 AM
Good stuff. Thanks George. The 18-125 ought to be a more versatile tool than the 18-55 that came with.

I'll look into it.

Thanks for the good links, also.

Stu.

There is no comparison. The 18-55 "kit" lens is truely a cheapo lens, made to be a give-away with the DReb just to make it use-able.

I actually sold the very nice 18-70 DX lens that was kitted with my D70 in favor of the Sigma.

Again the 18-125 is not a "great" lens, but it is very good.

jamison55
02-08-2005, 11:35 AM
There is no comparison. The 18-55 "kit" lens is truely a cheapo lens, made to be a give-away with the DReb just to make it use-able.

3 months ago I would have agreed with you, George, but I have been using my 18-55 kit lens in my studio with great results. It doesn't seem to wake up until f8 or so (wide open it is pretty soft), but between f8 and f16 I am even comfortable using it on client shoots.

D70FAN
02-08-2005, 01:32 PM
3 months ago I would have agreed with you, George, but I have been using my 18-55 kit lens in my studio with great results. It doesn't seem to wake up until f8 or so (wide open it is pretty soft), but between f8 and f16 I am even comfortable using it on client shoots.

I can't argue with your success, and I didn't say that it could not take pictures. I'm pretty sure that just about any lens will work at f8.

I supppose that in a limited role, the 18-55 is ok, but for everyday shooting it is still a very limited lens and probably no worse than a 3X zoom in an all-in-one camera.

Again, I'm glad you like it, but from my own experience it's still a cheap give-away lens, that I doubt you would buy in the first place, much less pay more than $100 for. And I just wouldn't recommend it over buying the Sigma 18-125 instead.

jamison55
02-08-2005, 05:25 PM
I can't argue with your success, and I didn't say that it could not take pictures. I'm pretty sure that just about any lens will work at f8.

I supppose that in a limited role, the 18-55 is ok, but for everyday shooting it is still a very limited lens and probably no worse than a 3X zoom in an all-in-one camera.

Again, I'm glad you like it, but from my own experience it's still a cheap give-away lens, that I doubt you would buy in the first place, much less pay more than $100 for. And I just wouldn't recommend it over buying the Sigma 18-125 instead.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I haven't used the Sigma 18-125, but I would recommend that people considering purchasing a DReb or 20D spend the extra $100 on the kit (in fact I just took on a partner, and made just that recommendation). It may not be the best lens out there, but it is the best WA zoom lens you can buy for $100...

jeisner
02-08-2005, 08:46 PM
And I just wouldn't recommend it over buying the Sigma 18-125 instead.

Agreed the 18-125 is very good value for money!