PDA

View Full Version : super zoom camera

7eleven
07-27-2004, 03:03 PM
hi volks
i spend considerable amount of time sailing and kayaking. i have with myself
my brand new mobile phone camera which does quality pictures close up but is really useless for catching pics which are far off.often it happens i cant get to the place because of lack of time or because its impossible to reach. So i typed in to the google search window super zoom camera and before i landed here i went through diffrent shopping internet venues offering small cameras with 8 or 10 zoom with disent quality resolution at quite cheap prizes.i focused myself on olumpus c-765 10 times zoom and 4 million pixels .i dont pretty much care about speed for taking photos or a lot of different specs.what do you think about this camera.or mayby i should buy
a camera to which i could add telescopic lenses to still increase zoom .i
know that its difficult to find lenses that work with cameras having already build in 10 times zoom.what camera could you buy to shoot quality pics from a distance better than olympus.

Simon

Rhys
07-27-2004, 03:22 PM
hi volks
i spend considerable amount of time sailing and kayaking. i have with myself
my brand new mobile phone camera which does quality pictures close up but is really useless for catching pics which are far off.often it happens i cant get to the place because of lack of time or because its impossible to reach. So i typed in to the google search window super zoom camera and before i landed here i went through diffrent shopping internet venues offering small cameras with 8 or 10 zoom with disent quality resolution at quite cheap prizes.i focused myself on olumpus c-765 10 times zoom and 4 million pixels .i dont pretty much care about speed for taking photos or a lot of different specs.what do you think about this camera.or mayby i should buy
a camera to which i could add telescopic lenses to still increase zoom .i
know that its difficult to find lenses that work with cameras having already build in 10 times zoom.what camera could you buy to shoot quality pics from a distance better than olympus.

Simon

For sailing you need something to keep the camera dry and you also need an image stabiliser. That means 3 cameras I can think of immediately: Panasonic FZ10, Canon S1 and Minolta Z3. I'm not sure where you'd get the marine housing from though but I'm sure one or other of the three companies make one for their camera.

D70FAN
07-27-2004, 03:28 PM
Panasonic FZ family (the FZ10 is currently avaialble), Minolta's new Z3 (not yet available), Canon S1 IS (available). Long zooms (10x to 12x), Image Stabilization for the long shots, most are under $500.

You will care about speed the second time you miss that great photo waiting for the shutter to close, and the camera to be ready for the next shot.

Since it sounds like you will be spending time in a wet environment you should also consider a waterproof housing, or at least a camera dry bag. Electronics don't particularily like water.

Always, try before you buy.