PDA

View Full Version : "In-camera" B/W..

Gary24
02-12-2007, 08:34 AM
So I went to the beach yesterday (and froze my butt off but that's a different story :D ) to shoot some Black and White using the E-500's built in monochrome setting. I took some pics using Vivid setting and then switched to monochrome for the rest of the shots. When I got home I opened all the shots in Elements 5.0 and started messing around with the B/W shots. I then had an idea. I wondered what Elements would do with the color shots if I converted them to Black and white? How would they compare with the in-camera shots? When I put 2 almost identical composed shots next to each other I could not tell which was converted in Elements and which was in-camera. Basically what I'm thinking is to shoot in color and forget the B/W option and use the post processing method so that I can use them as Color or B/W. Since I was using JPEG I can't really make the B/W into color but I can always make the color B/W. Is there some advantage to using the monochrome that I am missing?

www.how-wood.com

kgosden
02-12-2007, 11:55 AM
There is no advantage to using in camera BW effects that I can think of. You have a ton more conversion options in PC side editing tools. In fact the folks over at http://www.silveroxide.com/ make filters that mimic many traditional films like Tri-X.

Gary24
02-13-2007, 06:04 AM
I guess if you printed directly from the camera (which I have never done and don't plan on doing) it would be the only way to get B/W prints.

www.how-wood.com

Riley
02-13-2007, 07:17 AM
indeed if you shoot colour, you can do either
however, I shoot monochrome too
you get the benefit of seeing the frame as a B&W in review

fotogmarc
02-16-2007, 05:16 AM
Colour is the safest way to go. You never know, one of the pics you've taken may look better in colour. About the only advantage in recording them in B/W is to save a minimal amount of memory space. There is also an excellent article in Popular Photography for converting colour pics to B/W.

http://www.popphoto.com/howto/3366/how-to-get-real-b-w-look-from-color-photos.html