PDA

View Full Version : Action shot shutter speed?

LR Max
02-11-2007, 02:28 PM
I was just wondering what is the general consensus on the slowest shutter speed to use for action shots. I've been sticking to 1/500th of a second. I was just wondering if I can go lower without having distortion problems.

I do run high ISO, but I'd prefer not to in order to keep the noise down.

TNB
02-11-2007, 03:38 PM
It depends on the lighting.

LR Max
02-11-2007, 03:49 PM
Indoor crappy lighting with no use of flash. Indoor sports.

SpecialK
02-11-2007, 04:22 PM
There is no absolute answer to your general question. Do a few tests under your shooting conditions use what works.

mattdm
02-11-2007, 04:40 PM
Some factors to consider: how fast are the subjects moving? Is it important to freeze the whole frame, or do you want some motion blur to show action? How close are you / what focal length are you using? How much depth of field do you have?

TNB
02-11-2007, 08:14 PM
Don't forget the lens itself. Fast glass? F/1.4? F/2.8? Of course, that is also when the lighting comes into play, again.

D Thompson
02-11-2007, 09:28 PM
I was just wondering what is the general consensus on the slowest shutter speed to use for action shots. I've been sticking to 1/500th of a second. I was just wondering if I can go lower without having distortion problems.

I do run high ISO, but I'd prefer not to in order to keep the noise down.

Indoor crappy lighting with no use of flash. Indoor sports.

You may be able to go down to 1/80th or 1/100 without blur and still stop the action. There are other factors - handheld/tripod and focal length of lens that could come into play.

LR Max
02-12-2007, 05:46 AM
Hmmm. Never really thought of the other factors. I am either using a 50mm f/1.8 or a 200mm f/2.8. Both fixed focial. I am doing more basketball shooting, so I am handheld (but fairly stable since I am sitting down). Freezing the action is most important.

Obviously when I am shooting, both lenses are at their largest apeture setting.

mattdm
02-12-2007, 06:21 AM
So, with a Canon Rebel XTi (for example -- similar numbers apply for similar cameras), with the 200mm at f/2.8 and focused 30 feet away, you'll have a depth of field of only about 9 inches (http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html).

LR Max
02-12-2007, 07:12 AM
So, with a Canon Rebel XTi (for example -- similar numbers apply for similar cameras), with the 200mm at f/2.8 and focused 30 feet away, you'll have a depth of field of only about 9 inches (http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html).

Uh. K. I've got the focus part under control. Yeah, not much room for error but its the shutter speed I am inquiring about. So far I've been able to keep my subjects in focus fairly well. The AF-C function on my D70s works very well for this application. Sure, I get a few pictures where I've got the background in focus and the players blurry but that is to be expected.

Currently, I am using 500th of a second but I am wondering if I can go any slower with compromising the image quality. I was hoping someone has had experience with a general ballpark figure. I know there is a lot of guesswork but any input on the subject would be appreciated.

D Thompson
02-12-2007, 02:30 PM
Currently, I am using 500th of a second but I am wondering if I can go any slower with compromising the image quality. I was hoping someone has had experience with a general ballpark figure. I know there is a lot of guesswork but any input on the subject would be appreciated.

You can go down to 1/80th to 1/100th. Generally, 1/60th and below will result in blur in the subject is moving. Try 1/100th.