PDA

View Full Version : Pentax *istDS lense selection

wishbone
12-06-2004, 08:58 AM
I'm hoping to pick one of these up this week and give it a shot. FOr lens, I am looking at the Tamron 28-300 for a general, walk around outdoor type lense, the Tamron 28-75 2.8 for indoor and low light use, and the kit lens for the rare times I need wider than 42.

I'll let everyone know how it goes.

D70FAN
12-06-2004, 02:07 PM
I'm hoping to pick one of these up this week and give it a shot. FOr lens, I am looking at the Tamron 28-300 for a general, walk around outdoor type lense, the Tamron 28-75 2.8 for indoor and low light use, and the kit lens for the rare times I need wider than 42.

I'll let everyone know how it goes.

You will be surprised at how often you will need "wider than 42". I tried the Tamron 28-300 and it was ok, but the Sigma 18-125 does a much better job, as a "walk around" lens. Additionally Tamron is due to introduce the 18-200 version of the 28-300 this spring.

wishbone
12-06-2004, 02:18 PM
I really thought I was going to get the 18-125 and 70-300 APO, but those plans are scrapped for now.

The reason for the 28-300 is my wife will also be using the camera and after talking with her, she really wanted something that was as close as possible to the 35-250 range we have on our Minolta Dimage 5. She normally is dealing with three kids and doesn't want to have to mess with changing lenses too much. She felt she could give up a little on the wider end more than the long. I might try the Tokina 24-200 instead of the Tamron, but it is pretty heavy.

I'm definitely going to keep an eye out on the 18-200 that is coming out, if it was available now, it would have been my first choice.

D70FAN
12-06-2004, 02:25 PM
I really thought I was going to get the 18-125 and 70-300 APO, but those plans are scrapped for now.

The reason for the 28-300 is my wife will also be using the camera and after talking with her, she really wanted something that was as close as possible to the 35-250 range we have on our Minolta Dimage 5. She normally is dealing with three kids and doesn't want to have to mess with changing lenses too much. She felt she could give up a little on the wider end more than the long. I might try the Tokina 24-200 instead of the Tamron, but it is pretty heavy.

I'm definitely going to keep an eye out on the 18-200 that is coming out, if it was available now, it would have been my first choice.

Yeah, sorry. I know we talked about this before. Brain fade...

The Tokina would be a better choice than the Tamron, and I have seriously considered (and am still considering) that lens as well. We'll see how the Tamron 18-200 does. Starting at 36mm the Tokina is very similar to your Dimage 5 but about 100mm longer. A very good choice.

Manstein
12-08-2004, 02:26 AM
From a build quality point of view are Tokina, Tamron and Sigma much the same?

Rhys
12-08-2004, 04:59 AM
From a build quality point of view are Tokina, Tamron and Sigma much the same?

Quite honestly, I've always reckoned that Pentax manufacturer's own lenses are by far the best. Having said that, my experience of Sigma and Tamron are:

Tamron - nice sharp pictures on my 135mm. The 28mm and 300mm were both very wishy-washy.
Sigma - nice sharp pictures on my 600mm mirror.

Oddly enough, I did have some nice pictures from Miranda lenses.

Manstein
12-08-2004, 05:50 AM
When I kicked off in the late sixties the Spotmatic with a Takumar lens was the camera to have. Over the years they seem to have been eclipsed by Nikon and Canon. I still have an MZ5n which has all the handling qualities that the earlier cameras were famous for.

wishbone
12-08-2004, 08:46 PM
On Thursday when my wife headed down to the local camera store to pick up the *istDS, she found out it neither it nor the lenses we were looking at were in stock and would take some time to order.

At that point, a discussion ensued regarding the availability of lenses and accessories, and we decided that we are going to go with either the D70 or 300D.

Lens selection and availability are much higher, so I the theory that you are not buying only a camera but also a system hold true. The 300D is the most likely purchase, even though I technically prefer the D70, both my wife and I prefer the feel of the 300D and with the current rebate structure, the price of body and lense is tough to beat.