PDA

View Full Version : Olympus E-300 / Evolt

Jim Last
12-06-2004, 06:53 AM
With all the activity around the new Olympus E-300 or Evolt, how are Olympus positioning this new model within their ranges?

The Olympus E-1 was the king of their D-slr's so with the introduction of the E-300 where is this to sit in the void between the C-8080 and the E-1?

I guess what the main question is, is the E-300 going to be an equivelent to the Canon EOS 300D?

I like the sizing of the Evolt as it looks to be much the same in size as the C-8080 and similar in exterior design, but would a E-1 be the next progressionn from the C-8080, and is the Evolt more like a starting point in D-slr.

Questions:

Is the Evolt aimed as an upgrade to the C-8080, or an alternative starting point?
If upgrading from the C-8080 to D-slr, would the E-1 be the move to make?

A bit garbled I know, but I hope you get the jist :)

Rhys
12-06-2004, 07:20 AM
Speaking as somebody whose entire range of lenses has been deemed to be trash not worth supporting by Nikon's dSLRs, I'm still looking at dSLRs. If the Olympus has AA batteries and CF then it'd interest me greatly. Currently only the *ist has AA and CF but having experienced the direness of Pentax in general and their cameras in particular, I have no desire to buy more of their trash. So, Nikon and Pentax are out of the equation as is Fuji (cheap clone of the D100 and has the same faults).

This leaves

Canon - nice but has a bizarre battery.
Olympus - unknown quantity.
minolta - CF but a bizarre battery.

In my opinion, manufacturers have to wake up and give people AA battery options or they just won't sell as many cameras.

Jim Last
12-06-2004, 07:30 AM
As far as I know the Olympus Evolt will use the same battery as the C-8080 and E-1, The BLM-1. One plus point is that it is the most powerful and long lasting batery of all current digital camera batteries.

wishbone
12-06-2004, 08:34 AM
Rhys, I am curous about the problems you have had with Pentax? I am seriously considering the *istDS, I like the size, AA batteries, and viewfinder, and the samples I have seen so far look good. I would prefer CF versus SD, but I can live with that. I'm not thrilled with lens selections, but between Tamron, Tokina, and Sigma, I am confident I can find lenses I will be happy with.

On the E300, my understanding is that it is an entry level DSLR designed to compete with the 300D, *istDS, and D70. The only concern I have is the usability of high ISO's, which the E1 struggles with, and the long term success of the 4/3 format.

Good luck!

Rhys
12-06-2004, 11:29 AM
Rhys, I am curous about the problems you have had with Pentax? I am seriously considering the *istDS, I like the size, AA batteries, and viewfinder, and the samples I have seen so far look good. I would prefer CF versus SD, but I can live with that. I'm not thrilled with lens selections, but between Tamron, Tokina, and Sigma, I am confident I can find lenses I will be happy with.

On the E300, my understanding is that it is an entry level DSLR designed to compete with the 300D, *istDS, and D70. The only concern I have is the usability of high ISO's, which the E1 struggles with, and the long term success of the 4/3 format.

Good luck!

I've had several faulty Pentax cameras, each one a replacement of the faulty one before. I've had to keep sending them back for manufacturing fault repairs. My friends who've had Pentaxes have found them to be unreliable and very-short-lived. Even the local camera dealer - the boss of which I know well - has advised me that he gets more returns with faults on Pentaxes than from all the other makes combined. Basically, Pentax is landfill.

eagle17
12-06-2004, 12:00 PM
The battery grip for the canon 20D will allow you to use AA batteries. I do not know if you could use the grip though if the main battery was discharged.

eh?
12-08-2004, 06:55 AM
When you use the battery grip for the 20D you can run it with just AAs... the regular battery is removed when the battery grip is in place. I'm so glad they added this back, my batter grip for old film rebel was like this, but, for some reason, the battery grip for the Digital Rebel does not accomodate AAs.

D70FAN
12-09-2004, 12:41 PM
As far as I know the Olympus Evolt will use the same battery as the C-8080 and E-1, The BLM-1. One plus point is that it is the most powerful and long lasting batery of all current digital camera batteries.

At 10.8Wh the BLM-1 is marginally stronger than the EN-EL3 and the the BP-511A used in the D70 and 20D respectively (factoy rated at about 10.4Wh). In the OEM replacement aftermarket it's a wash.

When talking in absolutes in this catagory (Digital Cameras) there are some pretty powerful batteries out there.

I think the EN-EL4 from Nikon (~40Wh) and the NP-E3 from Canon (~30Wh) for the D2H, and the 1D and 1Ds (including MKII) respectively.

Bon Foto.

Avantgarde
12-17-2004, 08:23 AM
Jez I don't see a problem with so called "Bizzar" batteries, just get a couple backups there real cheap and on my 20D they last a LONG time. I actually prefer it this way as the non AA batteries always seems to last much longer anyhow

D70FAN
12-17-2004, 09:08 AM
Jez I don't see a problem with so called "Bizzar" batteries, just get a couple backups there real cheap and on my 20D they last a LONG time. I actually prefer it this way as the non AA batteries always seems to last much longer anyhow

A point I have been trying to make about dSLR's, with Rhys, for a while now.

A single charge on a set of 4 NiMH AA's will take about 250 shots on the average all-in-one. A single charge on an EN-EL3 or BP511A will take about 1000 shots. Simple math here says 4:1.

Another point seemingly missed is that NiMH batteries self discharge to about 70% in about 30 days. LiIon batteries are good for about 6+ months.

And finally while the all-in-one AA crowd are fumbling with 4 small batteries AND having to watch polarity, AND missing the shot. The dSLR guy is still shooting, and only changes THE (as in ONE) battery about every 3 days.

Oh, did I mention that you can leave the camera on all day with almost no impact on battery life? Try that with your all-in-one.

cemtex
12-20-2004, 09:31 AM
Speaking as somebody whose entire range of lenses has been deemed to be trash not worth supporting by Nikon's dSLRs, I'm still looking at dSLRs. If the Olympus has AA batteries and CF then it'd interest me greatly. Currently only the *ist has AA and CF but having experienced the direness of Pentax in general and their cameras in particular, I have no desire to buy more of their trash. So, Nikon and Pentax are out of the equation as is Fuji (cheap clone of the D100 and has the same faults).

This leaves

Canon - nice but has a bizarre battery.
Olympus - unknown quantity.
minolta - CF but a bizarre battery.

In my opinion, manufacturers have to wake up and give people AA battery options or they just won't sell as many cameras.

AA and other batteris of the sort have no place with a digital camera. From memory the use of them has always been dissapointing. Propietary is fine by me if you know how to get around the 400% markup (many ways) on buying extra batteries.