PDA

View Full Version : Dust on my CCD! HELP?!

Sea_Slug
12-06-2004, 03:53 AM
Ahhhh!!!!I am a recent and happy owner of a 20D and my only problem is dust (seemingly magically) getting on the CCD. Is there any way to prevent this?! It is driving me crazy... :eek:.
Any advice on this topic would be much appreciated...
Thanx :)

D70FAN
12-06-2004, 06:43 AM
Ahhhh!!!!I am a recent and happy owner of a 20D and my only problem is dust (seemingly magically) getting on the CCD. Is there any way to prevent this?! It is driving me crazy... :eek:.
Any advice on this topic would be much appreciated...
Thanx :)

General rules (once you have the CCD cleaned):

Check to make sure the lens you are attaching is free of dust.

When changing lenses, make the open-camera exposure time as short as possible.

Point the lens opening down when changing lenses.

That's about it, just be aware of the environment, and try not to change lenses in a dusty environment. In the two cases, so far that I have seen dust on my D70 sensor, a simple (and quick) puff of air disloged them, by lightly blowing into the camera at an angle (not directly on to the sensor). Try not to spit. Your milage may vary.

Sea_Slug
12-06-2004, 07:12 AM
Thanks for the advice! It is away being professionaly cleaned at the moment but when it gets back (2 weeks!) I will try and be even more careful! :) Thankyou!

Alnath
12-06-2004, 07:59 AM
The 20D uses a CMOS sensor not a CCD :)

Sea_Slug
12-06-2004, 08:49 AM
thankyou so much for that bit of useful advice... I will bare it in mind... I just asked a question and typed the wrong thing, you don't have to be cheeky! At least someone knew what I ment and just helped instead of being pedantic. Thanks anyway. :rolleyes:

TenD
12-06-2004, 12:49 PM
Blowing into your sensor is asking for trouble, you might spit, you could get condensation, etc. Get a Giottos Rocket blower, a couple of quick puffs with it and your dust will be gone, don't get one of those small blowers with the brush, they are too weak, the Giottos blower is quite powerful. http://www.adorama.com/GTRAB.html?searchinfo=giottos%20rocket&item_no=1
If you have stubborn dust the copperhill method is preffered. http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning
Copperhill has a site set up on Pbase that explains how to clean your sensor. They even have tools for sale to do it. Another method used an artist type brush called sensor brush. http://www.visibledust.com/
Using canned air is usually a risk too. It's stream can freeze things and is usually too powerful.
I have a 10D and have only had to clean the sensor a few times. The Rocket Blower has done the job so far. I have a Copperhill sensor swab too, but I haven't had to use it so far.

Sea_Slug
12-08-2004, 11:21 AM
Thanks for all the great advice. I have to say I didn't like the idea of blowing on the sensor... I have tryed one of the small blowers but it was to weak as you say so I think I'll get a better one! Thanks again! :D

D70FAN
12-09-2004, 02:08 PM
Thanks for all the great advice. I have to say I didn't like the idea of blowing on the sensor... I have tryed one of the small blowers but it was to weak as you say so I think I'll get a better one! Thanks again! :D

Please note that I did not say to blow "on" the sensor. And also did advise against spitting. Be aware that eventually "bulbs" become contaminated.

Fortunately, for serious cleaning, we have a local camera repair shop in Tempe (AZ) that can turn a sensor cleaning in 1-2 days for $35 (i.e.Tempe Camera Repair).

I'm sure you will figure out your own prefered method as time goes on. Just try not to directly contact the glass filter covering the sensor with items not prescribed specifically for this purpose.

Like I said, so far I've not had dust that sticks to the filter glass, so air movement takes care of it.

Here are some tools that might be of interest in the future...

http://www.visibledust.com/

D70FAN
12-09-2004, 02:17 PM
The 20D uses a CMOS sensor not a CCD :)

And as far as sensor cleaning, how does a CMOS sensor differ?